Whats wrong with my sexy lady MV F4 750 - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-21-2013, 08:42 AM Thread Starter

Whats wrong with my sexy lady MV F4 750

I wonder if anyone could shed some light on the issue i recently picked up with my 2000 MODEL MV AGUSTA F4 750 " 2089 km on the clocks "
Bought the bike from a collector who used it for desplay purposes , hence the low km ,
I was riding last weekend and she just would not rev past 8000 rpm , carried on riding for another 100km or so , hoping it would clear , but it just stayed below 8000 rpm ,
after refueling , i noticed she was struggling to pick up rev's while riding , and started spluttering , farting and missing , at this stage she would not rev past 4000 rpm ,
eventually she cleared back to 8000 rpm and I made my way home ,
I have checked and replaced the plugs , with OEM parts," NGK CR9E " plugs , she is still not running properly ,
cyclinder no1 is running cold ,
could this be injector problem ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-21-2013, 09:57 AM

New Site Garage
Hi Waren.
Welcome aboard mate.
Long story made short. You have to check or/and replace the fuel lines at the very least. Have you got a pic of your ECU, sounds like you might have a Japanese restricted ECU in there.

Dons Nel
Own - Two F4 1000R's 06 and 07.
PayPal :
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

eMial:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mobile in Australia: 0438 385 776
Website with MV Manuals for Most models -
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-21-2013, 10:29 AM
Established Member

Maybe this isn't it, but the bike has clearly been sitting for quite some time so perhaps there is some "varnish" in the system if any gas was in there. At this point I don't believe Stabil-Gas (used here in the USA, don't know if it's available in Australia or South Africa) will help. However, one killer product that recently hit the market in the USA is Star-Tron. It will clear out these varnish and residue problems very quickly (usually within 20 miles or so). Here is a link to the product:

http://mystarbrite.com/startron/

From the web site I see they do have international distributors in South Africa, so you should be able to find it. An 8 oz bottle is about $10 here, and you only need about 1-2 oz per tankful. Using too much of it is not an issue because it is combustible, so you may want to use more than the recommendation for the first go at it. Given the history of the bike, I would just try this first to rule out the possibility that this is the only problem. This stuff works so well, I heard from an auto parts store that the Stabil-Gas sales reps are freaking out. Good luck!
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-21-2013, 11:02 AM

The fuel systems designed to keep the lines full when off, so even if the tank was drained when it was stored the lines and inline filter (in the tank) would still be full, possibly gumming up the filter and injectors.

I'd change the filter and run some injector cleaner through it in the first instance.

Si
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-21-2013, 04:47 PM

My bet is stuck fuel injectors. Get them professionally cleaned.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-21-2013, 07:26 PM
CAG

Send a message via Skype™ to CAG
I'll climb aboard the fuel not electronic problem bandwagon.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-22-2013, 12:41 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the feedback , what I have forgotten to mention was that when I purchased the bike , it had 190 odd km on the clocks , the bike stood , fuel was not drained , when I got the bike I sent it in to the local mechanic to strip and clean ,
I have been using injector cleaner mixed into the fuel , and have done about 1890 km hassle free , I am also leaning towards the suggestion that it could possibly be the injectors that might be blocked.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-22-2013, 01:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warre sinnott View Post
Thanks for the feedback , what I have forgotten to mention was that when I purchased the bike , it had 190 odd km on the clocks , the bike stood , fuel was not drained , when I got the bike I sent it in to the local mechanic to strip and clean ,
I have been using injector cleaner mixed into the fuel , and have done about 1890 km hassle free , I am also leaning towards the suggestion that it could possibly be the injectors that might be blocked.
i put seafoam in my gas tank and coincidently two of my injectors got blocked completely
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-22-2013, 04:31 AM

It would be prudent to change the fuel filter,internal fuel lines and the lines to the tank. There is also a gauze screen at the base of the fuel pump module which it would be sensible to clean.. Also whilst at it swap the plastic quick connectors for metal ones from CAG on here. The plastic ones are known to crack with age/wear .

Check the airbox to velocity stacks rubbers...Service the air cleaner.

and I would also clean the inside of the tank out..

She's worth it ; )

joe

Last edited by gotojoe; 06-22-2013 at 04:35 AM.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-22-2013, 05:22 AM

New Site Garage
Have a look ig the breather in the fuel caps not blocked. I had this problem once when I swapped to an aftermarket cap, this blocked the breather and the bike felt as if it hit the rev limiter at about 8K.

Dons Nel
Own - Two F4 1000R's 06 and 07.
PayPal :

eMial:

Mobile in Australia: 0438 385 776
Website with MV Manuals for Most models -

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode