Running on 2-3 cylinders, anyone? - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-03-2013, 01:15 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

Running on 2-3 cylinders, anyone?

05 F4 10K on it, newish (1 yr) old battery Speedcell Lithium always unplugged after each ride.
Went out to gas up after sitting in the garage for 3-4weeks, in about 5 min of ride to the gas station, the throttle response was an bubbly gargling acceleration??? downshifted and twisted the throttle not much power just gargling, twisted the throttle again a few times with the clutch disengaged after a few seconds engaged into first gear gently released the clutch and it got back to normal throttle response. What the heck just happened???

It started and warmed up normally.

Got to the gas station ok, only took aprox. 2.5gal to top it off, so it wasn't empty tank syndrome, so what the heck was that?
Got home ok, yesterday took out for a ride and no problems.

Anyone has had this type of occurrence before?
Does anyone knows what make this to happen?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-03-2013, 02:25 PM

New Site Garage
Possibly contaminated fuel by degraded fuel lines in the tank. My 04 EVO3 wouldn't start a couple of weeks ago and i finally traced it to a disintegrated line in the fuel tank (the one from the fuel filter). Could be that bits are floating around in your tank causing momentary hesitation (or not).
Good luck.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-03-2013, 02:46 PM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
Thank Ethanol gas for your fun....1 to 2 week shelf life.

Partly blocked injectors from the E10 sludge or fouled plugs from the degraded gas octane level.

Get an ethanol treatment and use religiously. I've been very happy with StarTron for a few years but have recently started using a new Liquid Performance product.
http://www.liquidperformance.com/mot...nol-equalizer/

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, 2015 Indian Chieftain (Rita) my "low-n-slow", '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue), 2018 Suzuki GSX-S750L8 (Susie Q)
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-03-2013, 03:36 PM

you poor guys in the US. here in europe, we had a strong enough lobby
to keep the low ethanol fuel available everywhere.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-03-2013, 04:44 PM
Old Wing Nut

E10 is the low ethanol....they're lobbying for E15 now !!!!
We can still get Non-Ethanol fuel, but you have to look for it. Marinas carry it because boat engines are very allergic to ethanol.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, 2015 Indian Chieftain (Rita) my "low-n-slow", '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue), 2018 Suzuki GSX-S750L8 (Susie Q)
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-03-2013, 06:33 PM
CAG

Send a message via Skype™ to CAG
Do a google search for "ethanol free gasoline." You will be able to find it in your area.

Oh, wait. You're in California.

Tough darts, farmer.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-03-2013, 07:34 PM

So what's the recommended minimum octane rating for ethanol free gas? The best I can find in my area is 89 or 90. Will that suffice or can it lead to more problems?

Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba.... ~Hunter S. Thompson
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-04-2013, 05:02 AM
Old Wing Nut

89 - 90 will be just fine. MV calls for minimum 90 (R+M/2)....I run 89 almost exclusively. Ethanol free gas of 89 is a better gas than 91 E10.

As a rule, you should not run a higher octane gas than is required to prevent "knock". Anything higher (in pump gas) is a waste of money, will produce no more measurable power and will contribute to carbon deposits in your engine.

"Race" gas, on the other hand, is a different animal......but do you need it?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode