Bike totally, totally dead....i mean not a totally!! - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-01-2013, 02:31 PM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
Bike totally, totally dead....and i mean totally!!

Guys, i hope you can help me, please. My 750 F4 EVO3 (2004 year) has flatlined, literally!!

I've read the other threads about 'totally dead' bikes and understand about blown diodes and 40amp fuses, etc but it hasn't helped.

1). Datatool System 3 alarm does not respond when i press the buttons on the key fob. No sign of life whatsoever.

2). Putting the key in the ignition and turning to 'on' does nothing. Dash stays dark, no lights, no fuel pump, no nothing. Absolutely, nothing.

3). Bike battery is new. Replaced it two weeks ago and have kept it on a tether since. Multimeter reads 12.77v for the battery. I did not fit it in reverse. Since fitting the new battery i've been out on two rides last weekend. No probs.

4). Checked fuse relay on right hand side as well as the 40amp fuse on the left next to the diode. 40 amp fuse is good. Diode tested and found good. Is there another fuse near the battery area?

5). This morning I fitted a new tail light which has integrated indicators and was working ok except for fact that brake light didn't increase in brightness when brakes applied. Integrated indicators worked correctly. So i took it off again and fitted the original tail light and tested it and all ok before alarming the bike and going to lunch.

6). Left the bike on the tether and went for lunch looking forward to meeting the rest of the guys for a ride in the afternoon but when I got back to the bike a couple hours later and tried to disengage the alarm nothing happend. This led to my diagnostics listed above but still no idea......

Would greatly appreciate it if anyone could shed some light on this....i'm now at a loss and would love to have it running for tomorrow morning and enjoy one of the very rare dry, UK, summer days....

Thanks.

Last edited by TakisM; 06-02-2013 at 10:04 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-01-2013, 02:36 PM

New Site Garage
Could it be your ECU or eprom chip?
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-01-2013, 02:56 PM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
I was so hoping we wouldn't get to that right of the bat....but I had thought about it as well, just don't know how to diagnose if it is? The ecu is pretty pricey....hoping it's not that.

Could my datatool alarm have gone into some type of lockdown and is doing all this?

I did try taking out the alarm's 7.5amp fuse and tried to start the bike but again absolutely no sign of life.
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-01-2013, 03:05 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to The_castle
I'm thinking that the alarm is the issue.

Well I was until I read your post above.

It ain't what you ride, it's the way you ride it.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-01-2013, 03:06 PM
Established Member

Given you were working on something electrical and now your alarm is not responding, it would appear to be related to that.

Alarms and immobilisers have back up batteries that last X period so if even that's not responding it might have gone into some confused/locked down state.

Did you put it in service mode before working on the bike?

I'd google the user manual for your alarm and see what advice that gives to recover it first. They usually have a sequence for overriding and resetting.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-01-2013, 03:18 PM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
Hi Biaggi,
I didn't put it in service mode before working on the tail light. I know perhaps i should have as i've since read the datatool alarms are temperamental.
There is a de-sike procedure which requires removing the top cover of the alarm and removing the internal battery connection for about 6 hours - only reason i haven't done it yet is coz i don't have the correct tool to remove the special screws on the alarm unit. Thinking about cutting it open.....really frustrated!
Will try breaking into the alarm unit and leave it disconnected over night and fingers crossed for the morning!
Thanks, Biaggi.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-01-2013, 03:24 PM
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakisM View Post
Hi Biaggi,
I didn't put it in service mode before working on the tail light. I know perhaps i should have as i've since read the datatool alarms are temperamental.
There is a de-sike procedure which requires removing the top cover of the alarm and removing the internal battery connection for about 6 hours - only reason i haven't done it yet is coz i don't have the correct tool to remove the special screws on the alarm unit. Thinking about cutting it open.....really frustrated!
Will try breaking into the alarm unit and leave it disconnected over night and fingers crossed for the morning!
Thanks, Biaggi.
Best of luck, hopefully she'll be running in the morning.

Alarms and immobilisers are frustrating - always. I have one on my Brutale that came fitted - I'll be removing it when I can pluck up the courage and find the time
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-01-2013, 03:39 PM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by biaggi View Post
Best of luck, hopefully she'll be running in the morning.

Alarms and immobilisers are frustrating - always. I have one on my Brutale that came fitted - I'll be removing it when I can pluck up the courage and find the time
Cheers, gonna need it!
Been one of those days so far...new tail light was faulty, then bike wouldn't start, then after removing tank one of the fuel fittings wont go back in (i upgraded these some time ago to the metal ones - loos like i'll be fitting the old plastic one again ........ if she starts again).
Anyway, hope you're having a better!
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-01-2013, 04:10 PM

Ditch the datatool alarm...nothing but trouble and a nuisance to live with..

Have a close look at your fuel connector..is the o ring okay ? It doesn't go from hero to zero for no reason ?

joe
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-01-2013, 04:41 PM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotojoe View Post
Ditch the datatool alarm...nothing but trouble and a nuisance to live with..

Have a close look at your fuel connector..is the o ring okay ? It doesn't go from hero to zero for no reason ?

joe
Hey Joe, just finished breaking into the alarm unit with my dremel and went through the step by step de-spiking procedure as described by datatool. Now have to wait for morning.
O-ring looks good on the fuel connector but the little pin on the female part doesn't work when depressed (i.e it doesn't release the part to lock the male in when depressed). You can just push it in and out repeatedly and it doesn't do anything.

Last edited by TakisM; 06-01-2013 at 04:45 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode