Headlight Shroud Removal? - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-11-2013, 03:23 PM Thread Starter
SAB

Headlight Shroud Removal?

Does anyone have any tips on how to remove the chrome headlight shroud that surrounds the projectors from the rest of the headlight housing? I know that the front lens pops off after you remove the 4 clips, but I am unsure how to go about removing the shroud.

Is it screwed in from the back or just press fit it?

Thanks!

This is the piece...
Attached Images

"If I'd never thrown my leg over a bike, I'd never have lived." - Hislop
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-11-2013, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAB View Post
Does anyone have any tips on how to remove the chrome headlight shroud that surrounds the projectors from the rest of the headlight housing? I know that the front lens pops off after you remove the 4 clips, but I am unsure how to go about removing the shroud.

Is it screwed in from the back or just press fit it?

Thanks!

This is the piece...
I;ll have a look at my spare light.I can confirm access is from behind the light but if I remember rightly there are some weird star washer's involved that invoke language not befit an Englishman ; )

Last edited by gotojoe; 05-11-2013 at 03:56 PM.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-11-2013, 03:58 PM Thread Starter
SAB

Hmm thanks Joe. Don't go scraping knuckles or breaking tabs on your own spare on my account though. I was just looking to get some insight before tackling the project

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-11-2013, 08:59 PM

New Site Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Ian SAVS
What do you plan to do with it Seth? Just curious, I have thought about "black" chroming mine, similar to the TL-S headlights

What we've got here, is failure to communicate.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-11-2013, 09:06 PM Thread Starter
SAB

^ Bingo Ian. I'm not really a fan of chrome...anything. Blacking out the projector shroud really makes the lights stand out a lot more within the headlight housing. I also like how the endurance bikes run projectors behind a simple lens with not much else. So I'm going for that look as well.

Here's some shots of the SERT bikes to give you an idea.

post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-14-2013, 10:12 AM
Banned

Something you may want to consider. Headlights actually have two purposes on a bike. One is to light the road but the other is to make the bike as visible as possible to oncoming traffic. It protects you from the classic "car turning into your path" type of accident.

Projector beams tend to have a narrow beam. One of the reasons they did the "chrome" and the two small bulbs inside the housing is to make the head light unit light up and have more surface area to the light. Removing that chrome piece will reduce the surface area and make less light reflect off of those two bulbs. You will be less visible afterwards.

I have a friend that did a projector beam mod on another bike with HID's and he lost a LOT of visibility in the process because he chose to black out the reflector as well. After a few close calls he regretted doing the mod.

Last edited by rchase; 05-14-2013 at 10:15 AM.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-14-2013, 09:16 PM Thread Starter
SAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by rchase View Post
Something you may want to consider. Headlights actually have two purposes on a bike. One is to light the road but the other is to make the bike as visible as possible to oncoming traffic. It protects you from the classic "car turning into your path" type of accident.

Projector beams tend to have a narrow beam. One of the reasons they did the "chrome" and the two small bulbs inside the housing is to make the head light unit light up and have more surface area to the light. Removing that chrome piece will reduce the surface area and make less light reflect off of those two bulbs. You will be less visible afterwards.

I have a friend that did a projector beam mod on another bike with HID's and he lost a LOT of visibility in the process because he chose to black out the reflector as well. After a few close calls he regretted doing the mod.
I appreciate the concern Chase. I agree that a bit of reflection will be lost with the 2 wedge bulbs (especially since I'm planning to remove anyway), however the goal here is to have the 2 projectors better defined within the housing. If it's a substantial loss in reflection (which I don't see happening since projectors don't rely on a reflector housing for their output), then it won't be too hard to fit another chrome one.

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-14-2013, 09:33 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAB View Post
I appreciate the concern Chase. I agree that a bit of reflection will be lost with the 2 wedge bulbs (especially since I'm planning to remove anyway), however the goal here is to have the 2 projectors better defined within the housing. If it's a substantial loss in reflection (which I don't see happening since projectors don't rely on a reflector housing for their output), then it won't be too hard to fit another chrome one.
Honestly you will probably be ok. Just wanted to mention it so you would keep it in mind when approaching intersections. My friend with the tacky aftermarket projector beams slows WAY down.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-14-2013, 09:35 PM Thread Starter
SAB

Appreciate it!

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-14-2013, 11:26 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to theknurl
Wink

endurance racing lights.....
if you look closely the headlights are upside down and rotated;
http://www.classic-motorrad.de/winni...acing_team.jpg

so it lights the corners......immediately in front of the bike its dark, because of the beam cutoffs

i designed and built it.....at 1st we used the giant rectangular Marchals but 2 CEV rounds work WAY better

Noel-theknurl

The Forum Curmudgeon
I'm not PC either
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R
'05 F4
ph. 310-414-7247 PST, GMT -8
PayPal;
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Skype; theknurl

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode