Puddle under bike. - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-30-2013, 08:38 PM Thread Starter

Puddle under bike.

Went for a normal tide today about 20 miles through the city. Ended up at my parents. Came back out a while later and the was a 1.5 foot diameter puddle under the front of the bike, right under the radiator area. Everything was dry underneath the front from what I could see (took the panels off) and the liquid was clear and had an odd smell to it. Guessing overflow from the radiator since the tube is right there, but if it never boils over why would any come out?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

Own 2010 F4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-30-2013, 09:19 PM

Unless there is a leak somewhere then it did boil over. Sometimes it wont boil out rapidly where you can hear/see it, but there is enough heat/pressure in the system to push fluid out. You walk away thinking all is good and come back to a puddle. Some spills out the overflow and when it cools enough the overflow is drawn back into the system.
Just a guess but if the bike hasn't been run in a very long time some of the coolant can evaporate especially if its just water, or fluid without glycol. Its not real common but does happen from time to time. Usually in climates where its dry and/or where large temp swings happen within a relatively short period of time. If that happened and there was a pocket of air within the system then that could let the bike get hot enough to burp some coolant. Did you notice the temps. when you parked the bike?

Or, if running straight water in the bike could have gotten hot enough to start to boil the water which could have lead to what you experienced.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-30-2013, 09:27 PM Thread Starter

they were up there but not to a point where issues should arise.
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-30-2013, 09:36 PM

New Site Garage
Maybe it was just over filled prior to you buying the bike. Have you checked the coolant level ?

Dons Nel
Own - Two F4 1000R's 06 and 07.
PayPal :
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

eMial:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mobile in Australia: 0438 385 776
Website with MV Manuals for Most models -
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-01-2013, 12:18 AM Thread Starter

Honestly I'm not even sure how to do it on this one?

Own 2010 F4
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-01-2013, 05:23 AM
MRT

Maybe it was the neighbours dog marking it's territory?
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-01-2013, 09:45 AM
SAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stegen View Post
Honestly I'm not even sure how to do it on this one?

EDIT: SORRY!!! I THOUGHT THE BIKE WAS A GEN 1. THE INFO BELOW DOES NOT APPLY TO GEN 2 BIKES.

The coolant reservoir is located just behind the headstock (where the head races and bearings are) of the bike. The level should be between the mark on the reservoir and the lower edge of the frame. To fill, you need to remove the ignition shroud (the part that surrounds where you put the key in) and the left side bolt of the steering damper. Make sure the bike is perfectly level and not on the side or rear stand when you check the level. The bike should also be cold.

"If I'd never thrown my leg over a bike, I'd never have lived." - Hislop

Last edited by SAB; 05-02-2013 at 12:23 AM.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-01-2013, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAB View Post
The coolant reservoir is located just behind the headstock (where the head races and bearings are) of the bike. The level should be between the mark on the reservoir and the lower edge of the frame. To fill, you need to remove the ignition shroud (the part that surrounds where you put the key in) and the left side bolt of the steering damper. Make sure the bike is perfectly level and not on the side or rear stand when you check the level. The bike should also be cold.
Handy info!

2018 Husky 701 Supermoto
2018 Aprilia Tuono 1100
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-01-2013, 12:06 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to theknurl
Wink coolant level?

Stegen;
get your owner's manual out if you got one from Allan......if you didn't get one download the service manual......sounds like the overflow hose got knocked loose

Seth;
his bike is a 2nd gen, it has a regular radiator cap on the right tank and an unpressurized overflow tank

Noel-theknurl

The Forum Curmudgeon
I'm not PC either

'08 910R
'05 F4
ph. 310-414-7247 PST, GMT -8
PayPal;

Skype; theknurl

Last edited by theknurl; 05-01-2013 at 05:01 PM.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-01-2013, 05:24 PM

The reserve tank is overfilled. The MV (at least the 2010) seems to operate with very little coolant in the reserve tank. Remember this thread: http://www.mvagusta.net/forum/showth...t=47806&page=5

I added some water and coolant about three weeks ago when I thought it was low. But it wasn't. And, the excess water drains from a hole on the cap. The excess water has a habit of draining from the hole in the cap and then trickles along the side of the reserve tank (so it looks like the tank is leaking) but it's not. Just letting you know because it gave me a heart attack when I first saw it. See post 41 and 43 on the link.

That said, since you're going through the bike, I suggest flushing the coolant and probably doing an oil change (filter should be fine since I had the service done in 7/2012 and haven't ridden it much since I moved out here).

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode