What is "EBS"? - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-19-2013, 07:50 PM Thread Starter

What is "EBS"?

I've read several threads about EBS valve/relay, and I've read the shop manual, but I still haven't figured out what the EBS does. What is its function? How can I tell if the EBS on my F4 (2007 1000R) is working? Thanks in advance.

P.S. I just came back from MotoGP. It kicks ass.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-19-2013, 08:59 PM
CAG

Send a message via Skype™ to CAG
EBS is a valve located between cylinders one and two and EBS relay is the little component that controls the valve. It is usually the relay that goes bad, not the valve.

I believe you will only find them on the 05 and 06 models. They got rid of the system in 2007 and later. I may be wrong on that.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-19-2013, 10:26 PM

EBS relay releases compression to prevent rear wheel hopping . It's purpose is better traction on deceleration. Kinda like a slipper clutch but electronic. And no You don't have one. 05-06 F-41000S bikes only.
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-19-2013, 11:22 PM Thread Starter

OK, thanks for the replies. So without a slipper clutch and without EBS you practically can't be downshifting and using the engine to brake, right? Can you "blip" the throttle while you brake, you know, like the "heel-and-toe" motion in a car?
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-19-2013, 11:39 PM

New Site Garage
Nico is slightly wrong there, the 1000R+ models do have the EBS system, but the valve is controlled by the ECU direct, not via a relay as on 1000S models.
So ues, your bike has the EBS system, and you can hear of feel it when shutting down at certain revs, it souyds a bit like an exhaust brake.

And who said you can't downshift the bike when braking, you just need to match the revs.

Dons Nel
Own - Two F4 1000R's 06 and 07.
PayPal :
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

eMial:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mobile in Australia: 0438 385 776
Website with MV Manuals for Most models -
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-20-2013, 03:45 AM
MVAgusta.net Sponsor

New Site Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to mitchy
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAG View Post
EBS is a valve located between cylinders one and two and EBS relay is the little component that controls the valve. It is usually the relay that goes bad, not the valve.

I believe you will only find them on the 05 and 06 models. They got rid of the system in 2007 and later. I may be wrong on that.
Carl,my 1078F4 2009 model has EBS and slipper clutch of course

Bike- F4 1078.
Work.Email & Paypal.

Work Phone (+61)0755244655
Facebook- Mitch Covington
Mobile-0423041326
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-20-2013, 04:04 AM

EBS system:

It opposes the engine braking by adding fuel and air to one cylinder on the over run, a clever system at the time and now also used by the likes of the Yamaha X plane engine, Yamaha's system is ''better'' controlled due to being able to operate the fly by wire throttle system and work across all 4 cylinders due to the more precise control of the FBW system.

I used to do something similar on my Ducati's, I used to set the fast idle control at around 1900rpm with the engine hot, Then I would activate the fast idle when riding ''enthusiastically'' It had the same effect of reducing the engine braking torque

(This reply has not been checked for punctuation, grammar, or spelling mistakes and is devoid of any big long cleverwords or condescending manner)

MV's all gone now, still have a soft spot for MV's, waiting for MV to tick all my boxes again.
Previously (and about 40 others)748SP, S4, S4R, 98R1, 2000 F4, F41000S, F41000R, 08R1, 09R1, S1000RR, RSV4 Factory aPRC in Garage now

Last edited by mikef4uk; 04-20-2013 at 04:07 AM.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-20-2013, 04:49 AM

Last week I was riding my Moto Guzzi home from a bike meet. A friend was following me on a Suzuki GS 1000.

I was on a long sweeping curve and applying throttle as one does. As I straightened up I dropped the throttle for a second and then carried on applying normal cruise power.

When we got back home my friend quipped how I had almost " stopped" relative to him just at the point when he thought I was gonna give it the beans and he almost went into the back of me. (m he shouldn't a been riding up my chuff ! )

The engine braking on a 1200 V Twin is errrm significant...

So, for our MVs there is under engine braking an ecu controlled solenoid operated valve which introduces air into the intake of # 2 cylinder. I can only surmise that the fuel injection is ecu controlled.

The ecu solenoid merely introduces filtered air into the intake of #2.

The desired effect is to add a trickle of power to reduce the effect I experience on my Guzzi last week.

Joe
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-20-2013, 05:32 AM

Mine has it too. How can you tell is working? You can feel the bike farting when closed throttle at low revs. To me annoying so I removed through microtec ecu and now all is good
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-20-2013, 06:31 AM
MVAgusta.net Sponsor

New Site Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to mitchy
Yeh the EBS does cause a backfire effect when the throttle is closed for a while,then just as you add throttle bang,just unburnt fuel exploding so to speak.EBS stands for Electronic Braking System so I understand.

Bike- F4 1078.
Work.Email & Paypal.

Work Phone (+61)0755244655
Facebook- Mitch Covington
Mobile-0423041326

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode