MV Ever fix the tank swelling issue? - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-03-2013, 09:23 AM Thread Starter
Established Member

MV Ever fix the tank swelling issue?

Or any advice on how to mitigate that? Non-ethanol fuel in DFW is impossible - its mandated by the EPA for smog.

The tank on my MY2010 is significantly swelled. Not loving that want to avoid that happening to my '13 RR when i get it this week.

Thanks

Leigh.

----
Those wishing to tame lions should attend carefully the difference between domestication and sophisticated food gathering techniques.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-03-2013, 09:25 AM

did they put plastic tanks on the 2010 models? Was not aware of that. My 07 never had a problem but it is steel
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-03-2013, 10:01 AM Thread Starter
Established Member

yeah the 2010's had plastic tanks

----
Those wishing to tame lions should attend carefully the difference between domestication and sophisticated food gathering techniques.
post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-03-2013, 10:02 AM
Banned

"Motorcycle art" the works of Salvador Dali.

Yeah 2010+ bikes have plastic tanks. They are softened by ethanol.

MV could fix this easily if they really even cared. Just add "coating the tank" to the pre-delivery instructions for the dealer when the bikes are new. If the ethanol can't touch the plastic it won't distort the tank.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-03-2013, 10:06 AM Thread Starter
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rchase View Post
Just add "coating the tank" to the pre-delivery instructions for the dealer when the bikes are new. If the ethanol can't touch the plastic it won't distort the tank.
Yeah I asked my dealer to coat the tank as a part of setup. they don't want to for fear for voiding the warranty

----
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-03-2013, 10:16 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmcmulle View Post
Yeah I asked my dealer to coat the tank as a part of setup. they don't want to for fear for voiding the warranty
That's crazy. That would be a requirement for me to even consider a 2010+ bike. I would deal with it as a sales issue. Fix the tank or I won't buy the bike.

As for voiding the warranty I would take a bit of time to explain the Magnuson-Moss Warranty act to the dealership and locate a bike that uses a similar coating in it's fuel tank from the factory.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-03-2013, 10:26 AM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
It's not the dealer that would void any warranty, but I can understand their concern. They should have contacted MV USA for direction......and they should contact them now for replacement of your tank, regardless of warranty. Plastic tanks can be made that are not affected by ethanol, it's all in the material chosen.
lmcmulle, you can get non-ethanol gas in Dallas. Go to a marina. Outboard engines don't like ethanol. Almost all marinas carry straight gas for that reason.

I suspect the later bikes have new plastic compounds that are not affected by E10 gas. Europe was supposed to start using ethanol gas too, but some level headed folks realized the impact on the food supply chain and postponed the implementation. Wish we had level headed people in our government here....Oh well.

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, 2015 Indian Chieftain (Rita) my "low-n-slow", '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue), 2018 Suzuki GSX-S750L8 (Susie Q)
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-03-2013, 11:55 AM

New Site Garage
Why not use Stabil like so many other people do ? I mean if sealing the tank is such a big issue for some dealers.

Dons Nel
Own - Two F4 1000R's 06 and 07.
PayPal :
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

eMial:

Mobile in Australia: 0438 385 776
Website with MV Manuals for Most models -
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-03-2013, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esq'z me View Post
It's not the dealer that would void any warranty, but I can understand their concern. They should have contacted MV USA for direction......and they should contact them now for replacement of your tank, regardless of warranty. Plastic tanks can be made that are not affected by ethanol, it's all in the material chosen.
lmcmulle, you can get non-ethanol gas in Dallas. Go to a marina. Outboard engines don't like ethanol. Almost all marinas carry straight gas for that reason.

I suspect the later bikes have new plastic compounds that are not affected by E10 gas. Europe was supposed to start using ethanol gas too, but some level headed folks realized the impact on the food supply chain and postponed the implementation. Wish we had level headed people in our government here....Oh well.

Ethanol in fuel is coming our way ( UK ) presently 5 % but soon moving towards 10 %..

I can't see the point in replacing one plastic tank that swells with another that swells and then continuing to have the policy of not sealing it. I'd seal it and screw the warranty.

Donsy, does Stabil deactivate the ethanol ? If it does then that is a no brainer I guess. I use it in all my bikes when I am over wintering them...
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-03-2013, 12:51 PM

New Site Garage
Send a message via AIM to Ryan Stewart
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donsy View Post
Why not use Stabil like so many other people do ? I mean if sealing the tank is such a big issue for some dealers.
The shop that did the work on my bike mentioned it impacting the rubbers inside (which is why they get soft and slip off). They said they tried using a stabilizer on some bikes for a while but the moment they missed on it immediately messed up the tanks.

And its not JUST MVs. They have it on other bikes with plastic tanks.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode