312R smoking. :( - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-29-2013, 06:39 PM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
312R smoking. :(

Been a while since I've posted but I need some reassurance. Recently did an oil change on the F4. New filter and Motul 300V 4T 10W40. Put a little too much in first time and drained a bit, so the level when off was between the lines. Rode it twice with no issues. Didn't ride it for about a week and went to start it today. Didn't want to start so I figured maybe the battery was low. Went and picked up a tender and plugged it in for a couple hours, light was green so I tried again. Everything lit up, but it sounded like the starter still didn't have enough juice. Tried again and got a little further. And again and it got a little further then the last. Finally started and barely wanted to run, then started smoking from the engine and out the exhaust like crazy. Checked the oil level and its way too high again. Also, the engine is pretty noisy. My 750 was kind of clickety-clackity, too so I'm not too worried. I know these engines are noisy. Well, I just let some more oil out and it starts to smoke out the exhaust and smell like burning oil when it gets up to temp. I hope I didn't bend anything.

If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking. - George S. Patton
2008 MV F4 312R -- Luna (SOLD)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2016 MV Turismo Veloce 800 -- Sol (SOLD)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-29-2013, 07:08 PM
Established Member

Tell us a bit more please:

"Finally started and barely wanted to run" you mean it idles but won't take throttle, or rough idle and dash lights almost coming on, or something else like this?
Honestly describe how long you were cranking it over for trying to get it to run.
What is the source of this other smoke "started smoking from the engine and out the exhaust"
Is the filter OEM, how did you select it?

Remain calm, the forum will help you eliminate the possibilities...

F4 750: EVO2 engine, CNC Mitchs Hub, CNC water pump, FBF clip ons, Uprated chain tensioner, PCIII, Ceramic headers, RG3s, Talon 520 conversion, Oro wheels, +40,000miles and counting.......
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-29-2013, 08:12 PM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
My apologies for not being too clear. The anxiety from thinking I just lunched my engine was a bit overwhelming. Haha.

Ok, for the first part, "barely wanted to run," it was an extremely rough idle. Almost like bad fuel and could barely take any throttle. My 312 has the "one touch" starting thingy, so it would only allow the starter to engage for about 5 seconds. I tried that about 4 times and on the 4th, it started, but with a rough idle. It ran for maybe 15 seconds and then died. Did this twice and it finally smoothed out a bit and would stay running.

As for the source of the smoke, I still have no idea. No leaks anywhere, no oil spots, nothing. I installed a K&N 204 filter (the correct one for the bike) and there are no leaks from that, either. The smoke from the engine was coming up between the air intake tubes in the cockpit. Almost like there was oil on the header, but there was none. The smoke coming from the exhaust was light grayish-blue and smelled like fuel and oil.

I just got back from a short ride (started out very worried, but I got better) and it runs just fine. No smoke, no roughness, sounded and ran perfectly fine. I'm guessing there was just too much oil in the bike. I put 3.7 liters in when I did the change. Did it with the bike on front and rear stand. Hopefully no issues in the future! I appreciate you looking out for me, though. I felt like a bit of a knob posting this, but maybe it can help someone if they run into the same problem.

And just to keep some dignity, this isn't my first oil change on a bike. Did my old F4, my ZX14, my ZX10R, my Husky 610SM, my Yamaha BT1100, my Aprilia RSV1000R, and my Yamaha XT660Z Ténéré with no issues at all.

If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking. - George S. Patton
2008 MV F4 312R -- Luna (SOLD)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2016 MV Turismo Veloce 800 -- Sol (SOLD)

Last edited by J_Spec; 03-29-2013 at 08:17 PM.
post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-30-2013, 02:45 AM

I have had that same "smoke" come up through the cockpit when I haven't ridden for a week. I put it down to condensation in and around the motor. Lasts about 5 minutes after the bike warms up then gone. Only happens when I haven't ridden for a while.

The smoke coming from the exhaust and the bike running like crap is a result of you overfilling with oil, increased oil pressure forces oil past the rings and burns off in the combustion process, no big problem if its only a short time, just smelly and unsightly.

I doubt you have done any real damage to the engine, especially if its running ok now.

You might want to check volumes a little closer next time,

Hope it all stays well
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-30-2013, 04:35 AM

New Site Garage
Check you oil level with the bike standing with wheels on the ground, both wheels.

Dons Nel
Own - Two F4 1000R's 06 and 07.
PayPal :

eMial:

Mobile in Australia: 0438 385 776
Website with MV Manuals for Most models -
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-30-2013, 04:56 AM

Oil smoke from the cockpit in my case was a fouled oil seal at the oil feeding line just left of the oil filter. As soon as it gets hot it stops but start from idle it always leaked. I think you should look at this if smoke continues. Or the heat exchanger unit..

Last edited by PP1098; 03-30-2013 at 04:59 AM.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-30-2013, 08:54 AM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
Maybe oil in air box from breather when it was overfilled. Now burned away? I'd check the air cleaner and air box and clean out any residue still there. Plugs probably got a bit fouled causing hard start bad idle. Now burned clean.

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue)
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-30-2013, 10:17 AM

It is important not to overfill as the crank picks up oil at the higher level and froths it up. Frothy oil is a poor lubricant.
I don't know for sure but will an overfilled engine have crankcase pressure issues causing oil to be squeezed past the rings and then burned ?

joe
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-30-2013, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PP1098 View Post
Oil smoke from the cockpit in my case was a fouled oil seal at the oil feeding line just left of the oil filter. As soon as it gets hot it stops but start from idle it always leaked. I think you should look at this if smoke continues. Or the heat exchanger unit..
+1 on the heat exchanger. I had the same problem; seepage from the heat exchanger was dripping a very small about of oil on the bottom the header. After the bike heated up and the oil burned off, it seemed fine. When I let the bike sit for a few days I'd get smoke up through the cockpit again until it burned off.

Also, you said 10w40? I thought these bike called for full synth 20w50 at a minimum, recommended 10w60, and Agip 4T 20w50 if you're racing.

Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba.... ~Hunter S. Thompson
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-30-2013, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esq'z me View Post
Maybe oil in air box from breather when it was overfilled. Now burned away? .
+1
this could explain the blue smoke from the exhaust. i was
told, that especially on the track, the oil level should
be on the lower side, to avoid this issue.

in addition, i always have the problem that the gasket for the
valve cover is a bit leaking. Especially, once the bike is on the
side stand, there are oil pockets in contact with the gasket.
as a result, i always have a smoking bike if i start it after
a long break, as the oil residue are burnt away.

(and yes, my bike is always smoking hot)

Last edited by firedancer; 03-30-2013 at 01:21 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode