Ignition lock replacement, F4 MY10. - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-19-2013, 12:09 PM Thread Starter

Ignition lock replacement, F4 MY10.

Hello

This is somewhat long rant so bear with Me.

I have a slight problem with my high-sided MY10 F4 and would really appreciate it should some one give Me a solid piece of advice how to handle it.

While the bike inverted the ignition lock touched the track and the outcome was cracked plastic around the lock itself and the head of the inserted key being knocked off.
(Headlight, instrumentation, clutch lever tip, engine pick up cover and front brake fluid reservoir came off as well. Luckily no damaged main oil gallery.)

The copper wire of the immobilizer ring antenna is visible through the cracks but the stub key turns with ease and the dash powers on OK.
Nonetheless I want to replace the ignition lock/immo antenna before they suck up water through the cracks and start to malfunction.

The question is has anyone got experience or solid info on this one:
Can MV-Agusta deliver - based on the mechanical and electric code provided with the bike's code card - a replacement lock rekeyed to fit the same key as the other locks of the bike?
(Basically I want to retain the 1-key system)

I'm sorry to bother anyone but Our domestic MV importer with this, but apparently they seem to have quite limited knowledge on all things MV, nor interest in them for that matter.
(They sell quite a lot of Husqvarna dirtbikes, and I suppose ended up with MV due to Cagiva-Husqvarna connection)

So far they have provided Me with the following information:
1) 2010 model does not have an immobilizer (This stated 2m away from 2010 bike that has "ZADI Securnet immobilizer" text on top of the ignition lock.)
2) Yes they can recode the keys, if the ignitionlock is replaced.
3) No they can't and the instrument panel has to be replaced as well if the lock is swapped.
At this point I thought it's better to look for other options.

Third party providers code key blanks for ZADI Securnet immobilizer equiped bikes like Aprillias, KTMs and so on.
All they need is the part that has the immo functions (dash, ecu or separate immobox varying on make.)
So this is not a problem.
Rekeying the new lock might be.

So long story made short:
I'd like to have one key to fit all the locks of the bike without replacing rest of the locks and/or the dash in the process. (Edit: I have the original dash of the bike replaced under warranty due to the "dust inside dash" issue, hence I don't want to buy an other one. The new one was demolished during the high-side.)
Best backup plan I came up with was to have a locksmith transfer the internals of the old lock to the new one and duplicate the old ones spare key - should MV turn out to be incapable of delivering the lock rekeyed for the same key.
Suggestions and information on the subject is very welcome.

Last edited by Gatling; 03-20-2013 at 07:56 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-21-2013, 09:37 AM Thread Starter

In addition, has anyone seen any kind of crash protection for the key/ignitionlock combo ?

What I heard from Italy I'm far from being the only one that has the key and/or lock written off when the MY10+ bike rolls over.

The old style location of the lock in the front of the gas tank/airbox was way better crash-wise.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-21-2013, 10:24 AM

New Site Garage
Gatling I feel your pain man. If I where you, I'd send Andre at StarTwinTrading a email, or ring them for some good advice.

Dons Nel
Own - Two F4 1000R's 06 and 07.
PayPal :
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

eMial:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mobile in Australia: 0438 385 776
Website with MV Manuals for Most models -
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-22-2013, 09:10 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to theknurl
Thumbs up keys and Zadi immobilizer?

Gatling;
contact Jim Hamilton
www.allmotorcyclekeys.com

he works with everyone on the Aprilia Forum and Aprilias have Zadi systems

tell him i sent you

i have an Aprilia blue master key and sent it all over the World, Jim made that unnecessary

Noel-theknurl

The Forum Curmudgeon
I'm not PC either

'08 910R
'05 F4
ph. 310-414-7247 PST, GMT -8
PayPal;

Skype; theknurl

Last edited by theknurl; 03-22-2013 at 09:13 PM.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-25-2013, 04:47 PM Thread Starter

Thanks a ton guys.

Yes the Star Twin guys have been very helpful in the past, so it's well worth supporting them even if their shop isn't the cheapest around.

The situation is as follows:
I actually allready bought a new lock from an other vendor, but when disassembling the old one found out that, while the plastic splash guards around the lock and the immobilizer antenna + the key in the lock were totalated, the lock itself was mechanically sound.

So I cannibalized the plastics and the antenna from the new lock and put the whole thing together.

I have the unused key no.2 that came with the bike and just need to get an other one for spare and teach the immo to recognize it.
I measured the new ring antenna and the coil + wires have 14,3 ohm combined resistance.

As buying a complete lock from MV is sort of a pricey way to get one, I thought that I'd ask if some one at some industrial coil rewinding shop could figure out the specs of the coil judging by the coil dimensions, wire thickness and resistance.

Perhaps it could be possible to make some close enough or find a substitute antenna from an other Zadi lock, more readily available at breakers - should someone else flip MY10 F4.

I allso thought of making a spacer between the top triple clamp and the lock bracket to relocate it lower to make sure the key head does not stick up from the triple clamp top surface level.

The lock moves with the steering so it might interfere with the instrumentation bracket.

Perhaps a protective part pinched between the bracket and the triple is possible.

Got to have a good look at it.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-26-2013, 07:23 PM

Thumbs up new Zadi keys?

Gatling;
i told you who to contact.....

your key sends a digital code to the Zadi Immobilizer, an Ohm meter won't help you

the Immobilizer will recognize up to 4 keys

Aprilia has used this system since '03, Zadi keys are difficult to cut.....at least locksmiths screw them up all the time

once you have a key that turns the lock, you need the Blue Master Key to make the Immobilizer recognize the new key.....
I have one for Aprilias, i don't know if the MV Zadi Immobilizer uses the same Master Key

the simple easy way around all of this is to contact Jim Hamilton, he will cut and clone your key so your new key is electronically the same as the original......one day turn around

BUT, IT WON'T LOOK LIKE AN MV KEY......but it won't cost like one either

http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/s...nd-maintenance
go to post #1, item #15

http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/s...lia-keys/page3

do it the easy way go to Jim

cheers

Noel-theknurl

The Forum Curmudgeon
I'm not PC either

'08 910R
'05 F4
PayPal;

Skype; theknurl
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-27-2013, 01:28 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by theknurl View Post
Gatling;
i told you who to contact.....

your key sends a digital code to the Zadi Immobilizer, an Ohm meter won't help you

<snip>
do it the easy way go to Jim

cheers
Hello

Thanks for the tips.

Yes I took Your advice allready in the first place and will contact Him when it comes to the spare key.

The point of the coil speculation was that I now have a (new unused) extra lock, minus the antenna and cover plastics.

I was thinking of trying to find out the winding specs of the immo antenna coil to see if its possible to replicate it within reasonable cost. (Or utilize one from another Zadi system more common at breaker's than 2010+ Agustas)

If possible it would make the lock usefull for a say a trackday bike that has less emphasis on appearence. Improvised immo antenna and splash guards would do just as well as the glassfibre fairings and so on.

People that restore classic bikes have generator and ignition coils rewound all the time.

Besides I'm pretty sure other MY10s will be dropped on track in future as well and end up being damaged in a similiar way.
I'd imagine the owners might be pleased to know if there is a possibility to replace the immo antenna in a more inexpensive way than buying the complete lock assembly from a MV dealership.

Last edited by Gatling; 03-27-2013 at 04:46 PM.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-11-2014, 01:41 AM

Hello Gatling,
I'm in more or less the same situation you are in. Could you please help me by providing the information you have gathered. My story is long too, please bear with me...

I bought a used 2010 MV F4 four months ago and I got only one key from a reseller in AZ. I LOST! the only key 10 days ago and I do not have the code either. I called 2 of the major dealers around San Diego and they said I have to replace all the three locks and the Instrument panel, and the painful part is , the quote they gave me. They both said it would cost me over $2000 USD which almost gave me a heart attack.

What are my alternatives? Please kindly suggest. I will be eagerly waiting for your response.

And also fellow MV Riders, if anyone of you have any suggestions please email me.

Sincerely,
Manny
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-11-2014, 01:56 AM

Hi Noel,
I have read your posts and I am writing with great hope. I lost my only key of 10 MV F4. Please advice.
I live in San Diego and I have contacted GP Motors and also Moto Forza, they said they cannot help.
Please advice.

P.S: I will also contact Jim first thing in the morning.
contact Jim Hamilton
www.allmotorcyclekeys.com

Thanks
Manny

Last edited by MV2010F4SD; 09-11-2014 at 02:19 AM.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-11-2014, 04:28 AM

?

Manny;
it's very simple....

the Immobilizer is there for a reason......to stop thieves

you lost your only key.....

the dealers you went to are personal friends......they are protecting the MV community from assholes that want to make track bikes out of stolen MVs

Jim Hamilton will help you if you have a key shank and the chip (a broken key)

otherwise you need a lockset

I have a Master Key for Aprilias so you can link a new key to your Immobilizer

I've sent it all over the World......try to borrow it without being a known Forum member

and a Russian cocksucker "muffler" kept it.......Forum members chipped in and bought me a new one

Good Luck

Noel-theknurl

The Forum Curmudgeon
I'm not PC either

'08 910R
'05 F4
PayPal;

Skype; theknurl

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode