Gearbox issues - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-12-2013, 05:35 AM Thread Starter
Established Member

Gearbox issues

Hey ive had my 2010 f4 for a few weeks now, and the only thing i can fualt is the gearbox.... The gap between gears seems massive compaired to the jap bikes which is where my problems start

First i had problems 1st to 2nd... All my fualt

But the bike seems to some times jump out of second, only just after ive changed at high revs, and today it missed 3rd and 4th

The thing is the gearbox feels fine, very positive when shifting when just cruising around... So i'm thinking its just me, not shifting far enough? As i definatly admit the bike does rush me when i take it right up in the revs... Or is this a common issue

And is it possible with rearsets and the " not direct shifter" to shorten the gear shift?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-12-2013, 05:43 AM Thread Starter
Established Member

Also there is only 5000k's on the bike.... It also seemed to jump from 2nd to 3rd today with a big over rev, really hard to pick wether its simply me, as when i only ride the f4 for a while i dont seem to have any issues, but today was definatly the worst ive seen it, but then i really launched it and didn't have an issue

Really want to get a good idea of whats goin on, and really hoping theres a way to shorten the shift, cause if i can shorten it, the bike will b perfect
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-12-2013, 06:15 AM

New Site Garage
Have you tried adjusting the gear-lever down just a little bit? There's a lot more pressure on the body when going fast, might be that you're just not pushing far enough.
These boxes are usually quite good.

Dons Nel
Own - Two F4 1000R's 06 and 07.
PayPal :
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

eMial:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mobile in Australia: 0438 385 776
Website with MV Manuals for Most models -
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-12-2013, 07:16 AM

I am not sure if this would apply to you but I had all kinds of issues with my gear box until the dealer replaced the shift spring, under recall for the 2011 model.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Motorcycle.com Free App

Toronto, Canada
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-12-2013, 08:15 AM Thread Starter
Established Member

Yeah ive adjusted the shifter, took me a while but ive got it pretty good now, i think it could definitely be an issue on my side, i'm used to the fz1's gearbox which has a far shorter shift

Would really like to know if theres a way to shorten the shift by using the link type shifter rather the the direct one

And cheers for the shift spring info, can u explane the problems u were having?
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-16-2013, 01:22 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to theknurl
Wink ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hennessy View Post
Hey ive had my 2010 f4 for a few weeks now, and the only thing i can fualt is the gearbox.... The gap between gears seems massive compaired to the jap bikes which is where my problems start

First i had problems 1st to 2nd... All my fault

But the bike seems to some times jump out of second, only just after i've changed at high revs, and today it missed 3rd and 4th

The thing is the gearbox feels fine, very positive when shifting when just cruising around... So i'm thinking its just me, not shifting far enough? As i defiantly admit the bike does rush me when i take it right up in the revs... Or is this a common issue

And is it possible with rearsets and the " not direct shifter" to shorten the gear shift?
you're pussy footing it.......best gearbox ever......i'm 'light footed' but push ALL the way

ask the folks at Bubba IV......i shift up or down no clutch....just keep the revs up a tad going down

you can shorten lever movement/reverse it with after market linkage and there is a factory reverse (GP shift) drum available for less than the linkage

Noel-theknurl

The Forum Curmudgeon
I'm not PC either

'08 910R
'05 F4
ph. 310-414-7247 PST, GMT -8
PayPal;

Skype; theknurl
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-16-2013, 03:50 AM

100% with Donsy. Try adjusting the gear lever. I brought a new set of boots and I kept missing the shifts until I readjusted the gear lever ever so slightly.

Slow is smooth and smooth is fast!!
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-16-2013, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Yeah ive adjusted the shifter, took me a while but ive got it pretty good now, i think it could definitely be an issue on my side, i'm used to the fz1's gearbox which has a far shorter shift

Would really like to know if theres a way to shorten the shift by using the link type shifter rather the the direct one

And cheers for the shift spring info, can u explane the problems u were having?
In my case, when in gear, I would have to press the shifter several times before going to the desired gear; also when shifting down, it felt like the gear box was full of marbles (best way I can describe it)

Toronto, Canada
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-18-2013, 05:08 AM Thread Starter
Established Member

Cheers guys, got it figured... As i thought its more the fact that i'm used to the much shorter shift of my FZ1.... A few more tweaks to the shifter and its a lot better, but will still be looking to shorten the shift with a new shifter setup

Definately nothing wrong with the gearbox
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-25-2013, 04:05 PM

Quote:

Hi, yea it could be possible!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode