finally back....a few questions - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-17-2011, 01:58 AM Thread Starter

finally back....a few questions

Well I am finally down in washington (longview to be exact) and FINALLY have internet access. I'm a little dumbfounded right now. I'm like a dear in the headlights after moving to washington from po dunk wasilla, alaska. a few thoughts....

Holy crap there are soooooo many people down here. I went to Moto Corsa in Portland to check it out (very nice shop BTW) and Portland traffic sucks ass. traffic jams at 3pm....both ways on I-5. All I could think of is how to get my bike in for servicing when it needs it...2010 or not....that thing is surely going to overheat in that crap. A trailer it is I guess.

Second concern....E10 fuel everywhere.....I am so worried my gas tank is going to expand like the way of the ducati and aprilias....only being mv I'll likely never be able to get a replacement. Folks at Moto Corsa reccomended Star Tron fuel additive and from what I read it sounds like it will slow down the problem, but it can still occur. I then looked into Caswell gas tank coating (an actual epoxy you apply). Looks promising, but I don't trust myself to do it right. Anyone know of any place that will do it for you? I then went to pure gas web site which lists E10 free gas stations....only problem is half are out of date and half only have 87 octane ethanol free fuel. Only thing I found is this "Pacific Pride" stations that are for commercial use and require a special card (for which I applied....see if that works). Maybe I am just being paranoind, but I don't want my gas tank expanding on my beautiful italian. It has me not wanting to ride it until I find a good solution, not just theories about what might work.

Did I mention there are too many damn people? Geez....birth control...ever hear of it??? Do the future generations a favor.

It was nice and easy in Alaska open roads....sure only 3 months of riding...but they were true bliss. I am afraid of riding here for fear of being creamed by some old person (of which there are a lot), getting caught by the many traffic cams or cops for speeding, or just not enjoying a ride having to commute through stop light after stop light.

I'm going to cry....850 miles so far all in alaska....

I think I have been secluded for too long

glad to be back though....I think...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-17-2011, 06:34 AM
lee

Coating the inside of the tank is the solution. Problem is finding stuff that won't eat the plastic or not adhere and start flaking off. I use tank sealer from Hirsch on my alu tanks (always coat them) but it eats plastic. Stay away from "cream" coating. Garbage.

Coating a tank is really easy. Get the full kit with sealer, cleaner and prep (prepares the surface for a good bond). If you can find one for plastic tanks. Clean it out by sloshing the cleaner around inside for a good amount of time. Let it dry. Prep it the same way. Then pour in the coating (I always buy quarts as the "motorcyle" size kits aren't enough) and slosh it around really well. Then drain it back into the can and let the tank dry. Do a second coat the same way.

Never ever had any leak problems doing it.

If you find a plastic friendly coating please post it as I'd like to do my Duc and Aprilia tanks.

I got mine. Boy do I ever got mine.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-17-2011, 06:49 AM
Established Member

Try this site for some good roads:

http://www.motorcycleroads.us/regions/wa_scascades.html
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-17-2011, 07:56 AM

if you don't commute on it then just find a place to sell you good race gas. you can get pure and clean gas that way, but it's more $$. I don't ride a lot, so I just buy a 55 gallon drum and stick it in the garage. It lasts me about 6-10 months. Good luck, Washington is so beautiful (when it's not raining)

Chris
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-17-2011, 11:29 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperF4 View Post
if you don't commute on it then just find a place to sell you good race gas. you can get pure and clean gas that way, but it's more $$. I don't ride a lot, so I just buy a 55 gallon drum and stick it in the garage. It lasts me about 6-10 months. Good luck, Washington is so beautiful (when it's not raining)
how much do you pay?
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-17-2011, 11:30 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee View Post
Coating the inside of the tank is the solution. Problem is finding stuff that won't eat the plastic or not adhere and start flaking off. I use tank sealer from Hirsch on my alu tanks (always coat them) but it eats plastic. Stay away from "cream" coating. Garbage.

Coating a tank is really easy. Get the full kit with sealer, cleaner and prep (prepares the surface for a good bond). If you can find one for plastic tanks. Clean it out by sloshing the cleaner around inside for a good amount of time. Let it dry. Prep it the same way. Then pour in the coating (I always buy quarts as the "motorcyle" size kits aren't enough) and slosh it around really well. Then drain it back into the can and let the tank dry. Do a second coat the same way.

Never ever had any leak problems doing it.

If you find a plastic friendly coating please post it as I'd like to do my Duc and Aprilia tanks.

Any ideas on this stuff?
http://www.caswellplating.com/aids/epoxygas.htm

I saw it on the ducati forum
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-17-2011, 12:22 PM
Established Member

kawininja,

Welcome to the area and indeed traffic on I-5 is horrible but there are other ways to get into PDX.

Regarding local roads, there are some fantastic ones - My favorite one indeed is very close to where you are! Perhaps we could meet in Clatskanie, OR someday and I can show you around a bit.

If you are not busy on Monday (22nd) I will be on PIR for a Motocorsa track day with my 312R. Come by and say hello!

PM me for local road info, etc.

Cheers!

Jeffy
08 MV F4 312R
02 Duc 998
-Ride fast, ride safe, ride well
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-17-2011, 02:11 PM
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawininja View Post
Any ideas on this stuff?
http://www.caswellplating.com/aids/epoxygas.htm

I saw it on the ducati forum
That is the conventional wisdom on all the Ducati lists and forums I am on. My MV tank is metal are there plastic tanks?

Ducati changed the Monster tank to a type of plastic that will hold up to the ethanol fuels. That is why it has that body work that is bolted to the outside of the tank. Same thing they did with the Hypermotard.

Jim
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-17-2011, 02:53 PM

Come to the 2-fast trackday at PIR on Friday! Portland may have more traffic than AK, but it sure as hell has better racetracks.

You can pit with me and I will have my 2010 F4 out there along with my racebike!

2-fast.org
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-17-2011, 03:19 PM Thread Starter

I might just need to head down for the track day in portland! I am not at all set up to run a track day, but it might be fun to come down and watch you guys and meet you all.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode