Weird Indicator Problem - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-16-2011, 04:14 AM Thread Starter

Weird Indicator Problem

Hello All,

I've started to have a bit of an odd problem with my indicators, and am wondering if this is one of those things I should be filing under 'character' or whether I should set off investigating. After all, I'm long overdue for something having had literally no problems with my bike in nearly three years. I've just jinxed myself, haven't I?

Anyway, when the bike is first started, my indicators don't work, nor does the light on the dash to say they're working. However, after about 10 minutes of riding and once the bike is warm, all returns to normal. Is this a common problem? Are the switches famous for being more characterful/ only working when warm, or is it generally the wiring that is choc-full of added- value at no extra charge?

Thanks in advance for your help, much appreciated.
N.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-16-2011, 04:25 AM

ive not heard them not working until they are warm before. It could be that the points are not making a perfect contact and only work once youve ridden over a few bumps etc, however I dont think this would be the case if it happened everytime. Too much of a coincidence. I would try starting the bike to see if they work. Then leave the bike be until its warm, then try them. If they suddenly work then bingo, you know its a heat related issue. If they dont, just try moving the fairing stays a little (the metal arms that the mirrors fix too. It could be that the points have gotten dry over the years and are now just a little tempramental, id be inclined to think that this is the problem, if so, take the nose cone off and give them a clean up and a little electrical spray. Also, see gotojoe's recent post on a similar issue....

Last edited by MV05 EXY; 08-16-2011 at 07:04 AM.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-16-2011, 05:17 AM

check that the tail tidy lamp hasn't shorted against the slip ons this will blow the fuses and the blinkers and the dash will stop working.

Slow is smooth and smooth is fast!!
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-16-2011, 06:33 AM Thread Starter

awesome, thanks folks- I'll get on that tonight.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-16-2011, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nervy View Post
awesome, thanks folks- I'll get on that tonight.
Its not the locater pins, i have the same problem. i dont have locater pins i have plugs instead. (its in maintenance). It happens about 90% of the time as you described in your earlier post. Once the bike warms up its all good. I think it might be moisture.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-16-2011, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nervy View Post
Hello All,

I've started to have a bit of an odd problem with my indicators, and am wondering if this is one of those things I should be filing under 'character' or whether I should set off investigating. After all, I'm long overdue for something having had literally no problems with my bike in nearly three years. I've just jinxed myself, haven't I?

Anyway, when the bike is first started, my indicators don't work, nor does the light on the dash to say they're working. However, after about 10 minutes of riding and once the bike is warm, all returns to normal. Is this a common problem? Are the switches famous for being more characterful/ only working when warm, or is it generally the wiring that is choc-full of added- value at no extra charge?

Thanks in advance for your help, much appreciated.
N.
When you say the indicators don't work..do you mean no lights anywhere at all...describe the symptoms in a bit more detail and more advice will be forthcoming for you : )

I had an issue with rears lighting solid not flashing, The switch was toggling left to right and cancelling correctly..The fronts were inop no light. I rectified this as in maintenance section,

Joe
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-16-2011, 05:38 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotojoe View Post
When you say the indicators don't work..do you mean no lights anywhere at all...describe the symptoms in a bit more detail and more advice will be forthcoming for you : )

I had an issue with rears lighting solid not flashing, The switch was toggling left to right and cancelling correctly..The fronts were inop no light. I rectified this as in maintenance section,

Joe
Hi Joe,

To begin with- before the bike gets warm- when I flick the swutch, nothing happens, no lights on any corner of the bike, nor any indicator reminder on the dash. Then after time, or as someone has suggested, perhaps once the bike has been jiggled, both dash and indicators work normally again. Does that help at all?

I'm going to try what others have suggested just as soon as I get 5 mins to myself, thanks for all the brilliant help so far, folks.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-16-2011, 05:41 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by spypyp View Post
Its not the locater pins, i have the same problem. i dont have locater pins i have plugs instead. (its in maintenance). It happens about 90% of the time as you described in your earlier post. Once the bike warms up its all good. I think it might be moisture.
Here's an odd thing- despite the fact that we've now derived that our bikes have a design flaw, I feel greatly comforted that I'm not the only one. Weakness in numbers is the new black, I reckon.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-24-2012, 04:09 PM

Did you ever solve the indicator issue? I have a similar problem.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-29-2012, 01:49 PM

I thought i'd update this as I fixed the problem today, the indicator relay was broken.
It is located on the left hand side of the bike in the frame next to the main relay.

The spare I got from Halfords, the part number is HFU200, £4.99 or £2.45 with trade card. Works well so far!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode