F4 - 1st Ride ….. 1st Impressions - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-12-2011, 08:50 AM Thread Starter
Established Member

F4 - 1st Ride ….. 1st Impressions

I picked up my 2010 F4 yesterday.

First off I want to put in a plug for Steelhorse Classics in Williamsburg, Virginia.

These people are a class act. From my first contact with them they have been the best. They not only did everything you would expect from a dealership, the owner, Carol Warner, met me at the train station (I had to take the train there. I live 140 miles away.) and she picked me up in her sweet ride (Porsche Carrera) to bring me to the dealer a few miles away and get my bike. A very nice shop and I met her co-owner husband and their two mechanics.

Now for the stuff …….

Ferrari, Lamborghini, Maserati …. Whatever Italian automobile you want to compare the F4 to ….. they all fit …..

This bike is piu bella for sure. Honestly, if this bike can’t get you laid there’s something wrong (with you) ….. Hell, my throat started to close up and I thought I was gonna have a religious experience when I first saw her and realized she was mine ……

The tank was full and the bike had less than 5 miles on it. And did she look sweet!

The mechanics gave me the run down, took my picture with the bike, pointed me in the right direction, and off I went.

The last superbike I rode was way back just a few days before 9/11. I guy I worked with had an unremarkable, forgettable named Honda. I took it around the block a few times and it was nice. I had a Honda Shadow Sabre at the time and knew right away the superbike experience was 180 degrees from the laidback cruiser experience. So I stuck that back into my gray matter for a later time ….. which brings us back to today …..

Anyway, even though I had a tremendous urge to get this bike out onto the freeway and do the “Born to be wild” thing ….. it was her break-in period…… so I had to show some smarts and respect.

I headed northwest up 64 to Richmond, varying my speed, never getting above 7K. I just weaved in and out of light traffic. The bike of course performed flawlessly. I kept my eye on the temp reading though as the mechanic did indicate these bikes get hot. And she was hot. But nothing I even remotely was concerned about.

So I zipped up 64 and picked up 295 to get to Rte 1. from where I continued my break-in run.

After about 100 miles I pulled over to get some gas and a sandwich and give the bike a 15 minute breather and I could examine her closely searching for leaks, etc.

I got my gear back and went to fire her up and ….. nothing …… she was like in a coma man….. not a single sound ….. I almost shit twinkies ….. really ….

It was my RTFM (read the fucking manual) moment …… the kill switch on the MV is a push (in and out style) button vs. Ducati (my last bike) which has the flip on or off toggle style switch.

Anyway, with that resolved I got back on the road and finished off my trip, another 50 miles or so.

This bike is an awesome bike. Tremendous power, very responsive.

This will NEVER be a commuter bike.

The only issue I am having with this bike (so far) …… and I can say this because I’m 50% Italian ….. These Italians can’t seem to get the electronics straight ……. And I say this with complete disrespect too … I went through this with my Ducati too only a little different. Why is this?

My speedometer units are in KPH not MPH and the dealer couldn’t figure it out how to change it. I searched the forums and tried to follow what seemed to be very simple instructions on how to set my units to MPH but I have failed over many attempts.

Also, the mapping has changed. I did something and now the “S” is no longer in the upper right hand of the speedo (just under the TC). The user manual explains how to get it back and I will try to later today after work.

So basically, there needs to be complete and simple instructions on how to navigate & UPDATE ALL of the dash units options.

All-in-all this bike is just great and I can’t wait to get back out on her later.

Pics will follow later this weekend.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-12-2011, 09:05 AM

Welcom w1smc, and congrats on your New F4 !
As far as the Dash goes, although it is too complicated,
If I can figure it out, I promise you will too. I think you gotta
Carry the manual in you back Pocket unit you get use to it.
Good luck and most of all, HAVE FUN!
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-12-2011, 09:26 AM

I could have written this... it was very much my first impression. Have fun and enjoy!
post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-12-2011, 09:48 AM

Drive safe, my friend.

A little suggestion, buy a rear hugger, don't want dirts come to your engine.
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-12-2011, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vortex View Post
I could have written this... it was very much my first impression. Have fun and enjoy!

+1000

I still get a huge smile and hard on everytime I see it in my garage (did so with my 1098 too). I think it's an Italian thing, everything they make is super sexy! I'm glad you like it man. Post some pics up. What color did you go with? I have only done a few mods to mine, as I feel like it's perfect as is. here's a link to mine http://mvagusta.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39785

Chris
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-12-2011, 10:31 AM

New Site Garage
Wink +10

Great to hear mate. Hope you have miles of fun on your new toy. Now get some pictures into that photo album of yours.

Dons Nel
Own - Two F4 1000R's 06 and 07.
PayPal :
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

eMial:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mobile in Australia: 0438 385 776
Website with MV Manuals for Most models -
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-12-2011, 10:50 AM
Established Member

Congrats on the new F4!
My brother lives in Fairfax and there some great roads anywhere west of you.
Maybe next time I'm down there I'll bring the bike and look you up.
Good luck with it!
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-12-2011, 11:12 AM Thread Starter
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperF4 View Post
+1000

I still get a huge smile and hard on everytime I see it in my garage (did so with my 1098 too). I think it's an Italian thing, everything they make is super sexy! I'm glad you like it man. Post some pics up. What color did you go with? I have only done a few mods to mine, as I feel like it's perfect as is. here's a link to mine http://mvagusta.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39785
I have a black one ......

Yes, my first view of an MV was back in 2008 when I bought my Multistrada and I knew then I wanted one. It just made things that much easier when the prices came down from 25K for the 312 to 18.5K for the MY10 ..... I jumped on it ....

You can look at pics all day long on the web ..... but man these F4's are just all around beautiful Motorcycles.

I can't wait to see the next generation and the F3 ......

The Italians do make the prettiest cars and bikes.
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-12-2011, 11:19 AM

Congrats, enjoy your bike!!
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-12-2011, 01:55 PM
Established Member

Nice write up m8. When the 700 service is done you will have to write in again, it is a purely religious experience when you op[en her up for the first time

Here's my baby;

Last edited by Bombhead; 08-12-2011 at 01:59 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode