altenator or battery problem? - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-05-2011, 08:37 AM Thread Starter

altenator or battery problem?

So after getting my bike painted i bring the fairings to my garage, i wire up additional running/brake(LEDs) lights for the rear and also wire the fans to just run all the time(when the ignition is on). so before i do the fan "mod" i noticed that the rear running/brakelight dims when ignition is turned on but a few seconds later it works fine. "ok......" so i finish putting everything back together put my gear on and i start riding home. its 930pm and im on the highway, headlight start flashing i see the battery light come on so immediately take the first exit to get to the nearest parking lot. it also starts to sound like a ducati(in the worst way) and before i get there the bike turns off. call the wife, she gives me a boost with her car, bike turns right on 45 seconds later bike turns off. i hook the jumper wires again this time for about 5 mins, hop on the bike and start riding till i get home which was about 10 mins from where i was. would it be that ebs relay, battery or altenator? check voltage on battery this morning it was 13.5, try to crank bike, battery dies, measure the battery again, it measures 163V battery still cant start motor. to me is battery, any other suggestions. by the way battery is about 2 months old. how can i test the altenator, or this "ebs?" relay and where is it?. also i check all fuses, checks out good. i get the bike back with new paint job and now i feel Please help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-05-2011, 08:46 AM

New Site Garage
Smile

Right Kreativ, I still think you drained your battery and not giving it enough time to charge. These things are sooo sensitive on their battery's, no bullshit.
If I start my bike a couple of times at the track or just leave the fans going for a bit too long. No Start. I will hook my $12 charger on for 5min and she will fire up straight away, that is the truth.
I honestly think there is nothing wrong but a flat battery and with your fans and the extra lights running, the alternator is not getting ahead.

Dons Nel
Own - Two F4 1000R's 06 and 07.
PayPal :
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

eMial:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mobile in Australia: 0438 385 776
Website with MV Manuals for Most models -
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-05-2011, 08:58 AM Thread Starter

yeah as soon as i got stuck in the parking lot, i disconnected both wires. hopefully you are right. im praying you are . im freaking out thinking is my altenator (worst case scenerio) i would be so disappointed, i just bought the bike 2 months ago with 749 miles and i just reached 1403 last weekend. btw the way my bike is a 05 f4 1000s 1+1.
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-07-2011, 09:05 PM Thread Starter

Question Help!!!!

Donsy i took the battery out, charge it to 100% put it back in. measured it. 12.5V. turned ingnition on now it says 12.2. started the motor and now it says 12.02. i took a short 2 mile ride, and noticed the battery light was still on. as i was riding when i would come to a stop the light would start flashing. i keep riding and it will go on steady. so i come back home. measure the battery and its the same voltage. i decide to go test it for a longer ride. and yup i got stuck a couple towns over AGAIN!

anyhow can anybody tell me how to test the altenator, also how to test the "ebs" relay and where it is. i have a feeling is the relay. i hope it is. PLEASE HELP!!! my riding days are counted!
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-07-2011, 09:37 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to theknurl
+ or -?

Kreativ;
you're measuring 12.5 volts? thats not fully charged....since your battery is 6+ years old......borrow another battery and try it

at 4,000 rpm you should be reading over 14 VDC at the battery

Noel-theknurl

The Forum Curmudgeon
I'm not PC either

'08 910R
'05 F4
ph. 310-414-7247 PST, GMT -8
PayPal;

Skype; theknurl

Last edited by theknurl; 08-08-2011 at 05:02 PM.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-07-2011, 11:03 PM
MRT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreativ View Post
Donsy i took the battery out, charge it to 100% put it back in. measured it. 12.5V. turned ingnition on now it says 12.2. started the motor and now it says 12.02. i took a short 2 mile ride, and noticed the battery light was still on. as i was riding when i would come to a stop the light would start flashing. i keep riding and it will go on steady. so i come back home. measure the battery and its the same voltage. i decide to go test it for a longer ride. and yup i got stuck a couple towns over AGAIN!

anyhow can anybody tell me how to test the altenator, also how to test the "ebs" relay and where it is. i have a feeling is the relay. i hope it is. PLEASE HELP!!! my riding days are counted!

http://www.agusta.us/

You can download the manual there.

It shows how to test your alternator, can't remember exact figures but it was about 14.5V at 2000rpm or something. It's in the manual anyway.

Check the alternator to be sure, but i tend to agree that your battery has seen better days.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-07-2011, 11:23 PM
MRT

Just went and re-read the manual.

In the 312R manual it is Chapter E page 23.

Run the engine at 2000rpm with high beam on, Voltage across the battery should be between 12.6 and 14.3 Volts.

The battery must be fully charged to do the test, according to page 13 chapter E 12.5V is fully charged?

Last edited by MRT; 08-07-2011 at 11:26 PM.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-08-2011, 01:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRT View Post
Just went and re-read the manual.

In the 312R manual it is Chapter E page 23.

Run the engine at 2000rpm with high beam on, Voltage across the battery should be between 12.6 and 14.3 Volts.

The battery must be fully charged to do the test, according to page 13 chapter E 12.5V is fully charged?
MV alternators run quite high voltages, don't be surpised to see over
15vdc, a fully charged battery will measure 13.2vdc whilst just sitting there (6 wet cells at 2,2vdc=13.2vdc)

(This reply has not been checked for punctuation, grammar, or spelling mistakes and is devoid of any big long cleverwords or condescending manner)

MV's all gone now, still have a soft spot for MV's, waiting for MV to tick all my boxes again.
Previously (and about 40 others)748SP, S4, S4R, 98R1, 2000 F4, F41000S, F41000R, 08R1, 09R1, S1000RR, RSV4 Factory aPRC in Garage now
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-08-2011, 03:10 AM
MRT

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikef4uk View Post
MV alternators run quite high voltages, don't be surpised to see over
15vdc, a fully charged battery will measure 13.2vdc whilst just sitting there (6 wet cells at 2,2vdc=13.2vdc)
I agree, but the manual states 12.5 fully charged. Strange hey?

I can also vouch for the alternator being a bit high on the output, but I would be worried if it was anything over 15 at 2000rpm. I had problems with mine overcharging which in turn boiled the battery and you know where all that acid went.....man I wish that battery sat upright!
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-08-2011, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRT View Post
I agree, but the manual states 12.5 fully charged. Strange hey?

I can also vouch for the alternator being a bit high on the output, but I would be worried if it was anything over 15 at 2000rpm. I had problems with mine overcharging which in turn boiled the battery and you know where all that acid went.....man I wish that battery sat upright!
+1, my 750 charged at 15.9vdc !!!!!!!! and as you say I had two batteries try (I caught them both early) drip acid over the swingarm, the two 1000's I owned were from memory a snatch over 15vdc

(This reply has not been checked for punctuation, grammar, or spelling mistakes and is devoid of any big long cleverwords or condescending manner)

MV's all gone now, still have a soft spot for MV's, waiting for MV to tick all my boxes again.
Previously (and about 40 others)748SP, S4, S4R, 98R1, 2000 F4, F41000S, F41000R, 08R1, 09R1, S1000RR, RSV4 Factory aPRC in Garage now

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode