refurb on Ti exhaust - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-26-2011, 06:07 PM Thread Starter

refurb on Ti exhaust

My SPR has been poorly treated by its previous owner so I am in full detail mode.
My question relates to the RG3 system, I want to have the Titanium pipes back to the straight off the floor look, atm it is road worn with bits of tar/rubber and slight weather degredation.
Is Titanium ok for me to steel brush this stuff off with, will I damage the metal by essentially taking a very light layer off the top?

I was planning on bying a brush tip for my drill and doing the whole system.

Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-26-2011, 07:38 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to theknurl
dirty Ti ?

i'd remove the pipes to clean them

a wire brush will leave a very uneven finish

1. try spray on engine cleaner with a nylon brush
2. media blast
3. finally light glass bead blast if they are really dirty

since Ti doesn't corrode, my bet is that engine cleaner and the brush will do the job

Noel-theknurl

The Forum Curmudgeon
I'm not PC either
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R
'05 F4
ph. 310-414-7247 PST, GMT -8
PayPal;
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Skype; theknurl
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-26-2011, 09:32 PM
lee

Get some "metal Prep" or other such metal cleaner. Has phosphoric acid in it to etch metal before painting. It'll clean all that crap off and not harm the metal or the finish.

I got mine. Boy do I ever got mine.
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-27-2011, 05:35 AM
CAG

Send a message via Skype™ to CAG
Are they titanium or RG3?
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-27-2011, 09:42 AM

Never use a steel brush or wool to rub down Ti., Al., Mg. etc. The steel will imbed then you'll see rust starting to appear after a few days, and you can never get the stuff out after its in there. That is unless you take a hone or something like that to it and take off the top layer of metal.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-27-2011, 02:35 PM
MRT

Quote:
Originally Posted by varium View Post
Never use a steel brush or wool to rub down Ti., Al., Mg. etc. The steel will imbed then you'll see rust starting to appear after a few days, and you can never get the stuff out after its in there. That is unless you take a hone or something like that to it and take off the top layer of metal.
+1, No steel wool. I used mild dishwashing liquid and scotchbrite on my ti akro's and they always came up a treat. Dont scrub too hard though. You may be suprised how easily ti cleanns up.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-27-2011, 05:13 PM

Don't use a wire brush. Start with something in the detergent or organic solvent (acetone, degreaser, kerosene, etc.) category to get tar & grime off. If you clean it really well with a detergent solution and acetone and it still looks dirty, you'll need to use something corrosive to take away the oxide layer. When some chemicals and oils are left on the pipe when it gets hot, it can change the rate of oxidation on the surface, permanently changing the color and making it look dirty forever. Don't start with metal prep or other acidic chemicals. If you put the acidic stuff on a dirty surface the result wont be uniform.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-27-2011, 09:21 PM
Al-

i refinished the raw frame on my Ti bicycle with just water and a scotchbrite. Doing it that way will add a brushed finish however, so you'd need to pick a direction for the grain to flow and continue that way throughout. Agree with everything already said, no steel brushes, start with some mild detergent first and work your way up to the heavy stuff.

2004 F4 SPR F4RR Corsacorta Powered
2006 Brutale 910S
2012 F4 RR
2012 F4 RR
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-28-2011, 02:37 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the advice guys,

In answer to CAGS question, i have the RG3 baffles, i thought the entire system on the SPR was a standard Ti item?

As i bought the bike second hand I am unsure of all the previous mods made, I am also wondering now....... is the RG3 component simply the baffles and tips?......and from the baffles to the exhaust manifold another metal?
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-28-2011, 06:03 AM
CAG

Send a message via Skype™ to CAG
The RG3s are stainless steel. They came with the bike in addition to the stock exhaust. You can use almost anything to clean stainless. If the heavy crud is greasy, use some engine brite or other heavy duty degreaser. I would finish cleaning them with Never dull.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode