Flat question - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-24-2011, 11:20 AM Thread Starter

Flat question

So I went out and found a flat in the rear this morning. In all the years I've been lucky never to get a flat until now. Can I just plug it air it up and go? I know patching it from the inside would be better but I'm about 36 miles from the dealer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-24-2011, 11:47 AM

Ive plugged it with no problems in the past. I still carry a plug kit with me till this day. If the tire is new, plug it, get it to the dealer, and have them remove the plug and patch it fromt he inside. But I put 5000 miles on a rear tire that was plugged and it never lost any air.

Joe - mv2envy
AKA. MV Guy 12345
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-24-2011, 11:54 AM Thread Starter

Cool thanks for the help!
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-24-2011, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber29 View Post
So I went out and found a flat in the rear this morning. In all the years I've been lucky never to get a flat until now. Can I just plug it air it up and go? I know patching it from the inside would be better but I'm about 36 miles from the dealer.

I'll take your bad luck....My flat came on a bend..in a tubed tyre..ie instant deflation.wobble..pinching the buttons off the seat as the bike zig zags across the road....lucky for me nothing else was coming the other way as the road was a narrow English lane.

As far as plugging tubeless tyres goes..It works for sure. Some tyre manufacturers won't allow plugging so in an extreme situation you might find that your insurance is void. I know it's all money..and I have plugged a Hayabusa tyre in the past..but now I'm not so sure...There are only two wheels and a tiny contact area being pulled and tugged by road and reaction forces..

That little contact area is all you got and I'm not so sure it's a good idea to trade it for $ 200.00 tyre...

joe
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-24-2011, 12:52 PM

Cool

Use the plug only to enable you to take an easy ride to your dealer, to get your tire fixed professionally or replaced.

I rode to my dealer once (some 30 mls, motorway included) on a softening rear (on a Speed Triple); that was pretty scary , and recently home on a very slowly softening rear (on my 1078RR), and then after having put pressure in it again to see how it would hold up, to my dealer 80 mls away. That was nothing special; turned out to be a leaking valve.

Take care!

Nulla tenaci invia est via
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-24-2011, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeF4Black View Post
Use the plug only to enable you to take an easy ride to your dealer, to get your tire fixed professionally or replaced.

I rode to my dealer once (some 30 mls, motorway included) on a softening rear (on a Speed Triple); that was pretty scary , and recently home on a very slowly softening rear (on my 1078RR), and then after having put pressure in it again to see how it would hold up, to my dealer 80 mls away. That was nothing special; turned out to be a leaking valve.

Take care!

Mike I thought he meant a professionally fitted plug....ie a permanent fix.

As we know there is alot of technology in a motorcycle tyre and these bikes push the tyres to the edge. It's a personal choice but riders need to be aware of what the manufacturers have to say and make an informed decision.
cheers
joe
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-24-2011, 01:19 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to ErikV
I would never trust a plugged tire...

“When I disagree with a rational man, I let reality be our final arbiter; if I am right, he will learn; if I am wrong, I will; one of us will win, but both will profit.”
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-24-2011, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikV View Post
I would never trust a plugged tire...
When you are in the middle of nowhere and have no other choice, its easy! Plug it, find a place to put some air in it, and be on your way.

Joe - mv2envy
AKA. MV Guy 12345

post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-24-2011, 02:09 PM
I'd plug it and ride carefully to the tyre shop and put a new tyre on. Why risk a high performance motorcycle and your life for the price of a tyre. If it was a car tyre I'd plug it and forget about it until the tread was worn away but not a motorbike. Just my 2c of course.

Keep one wheel down!

If you can't fix it with a hammer you've got an electrical problem!

No MV's in the garage anymore
but I pop in here from time to time
. Come to think of it I don't have a garage since the old one burnt down!
But...…..a new one is currently rising from the ashes......watch this space!
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-24-2011, 02:39 PM

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotojoe View Post
Mike I thought he meant a professionally fitted plug....ie a permanent fix.

As we know there is alot of technology in a motorcycle tyre and these bikes push the tyres to the edge. It's a personal choice but riders need to be aware of what the manufacturers have to say and make an informed decision.
cheers
joe
Read the OP's original post. He's got a plug and his dealer is some way off. He suggested doing it himself, hence my advice.

Nulla tenaci invia est via

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode