RG3 exhaust tip alignment question - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-16-2011, 11:47 PM Thread Starter
JWA
Established Member

RG3 exhaust tip alignment question

Hello All,

I recently bought an '05 F4 1000 S, having owned an F4 750 in the past. The new bike has a RG3 exhaust and midpipe setup installed. It looks, sounds, and runs great, but the tips are not perfectly centered to the tail section. They are aligned properly up and down and the spacing between them looks to be even, but the entire set of pipes is shifted to the right (when looking at them from behind). I have noticed this (and worse) on lots of other F4s and it always bugged me.

Is there any adjustment available within the mounting system of the pipes? I looked but nothing seemed obvious. I searched both here and through Google but none of the search terms that I used found any results. Any suggestions for getting them aligned properly?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-17-2011, 01:00 AM

New Site Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWA View Post
Hello All,

I recently bought an '05 F4 1000 S, having owned an F4 750 in the past. The new bike has a RG3 exhaust and midpipe setup installed. It looks, sounds, and runs great, but the tips are not perfectly centered to the tail section. They are aligned properly up and down and the spacing between them looks to be even, but the entire set of pipes is shifted to the right (when looking at them from behind). I have noticed this (and worse) on lots of other F4s and it always bugged me.

Is there any adjustment available within the mounting system of the pipes? I looked but nothing seemed obvious. I searched both here and through Google but none of the search terms that I used found any results. Any suggestions for getting them aligned properly?

Thanks!
Just undo all the fasteners starting from the mid-pipe all the way to the dog-bone fasteners under the seat. Re-align the lot and do up all the fasteners again, keeping a eye out for which fastener moves the pipes out of line. Then you should be able to figure out what to do to sort the problem. Also be aware that the mid-pipe brackets can also be adjusted on the frame.
Hope this helps.

Dons Nel
Own - Two F4 1000R's 06 and 07.
PayPal :
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

eMial:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mobile in Australia: 0438 385 776
Website with MV Manuals for Most models -
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-17-2011, 09:26 AM Thread Starter
JWA
Established Member

Makes perfect sense. I'll give that a go and report back. Thanks.
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-17-2011, 12:56 PM

Its not going to be 100% perfect you know. I have yet to see a set that was.

Joe - mv2envy
AKA. MV Guy 12345

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-19-2011, 08:57 PM Thread Starter
JWA
Established Member

I played around with it and in the end one 1/2" aluminum spacer sleeve placed over the lower bolt on the right-side subframe to exhaust bracket, and a longer bolt, did the trick. Pushes the whole assembly over just right. I tried using spacers on the upper bolt on the left side to pull it over, but that was taxing the rubber mounts too much. Pushing it worked better.

Are they off from the factory, or does heat cycling warp them? It would be really odd to me if MV would allow one of their upgrade parts, and such a visible one at that, have such an obvious design flaw.

Last edited by JWA; 07-19-2011 at 08:59 PM.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-19-2011, 09:58 PM

I think its all how the midpipe is made. If its made well/straight then it will look good.

Joe - mv2envy
AKA. MV Guy 12345

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-20-2011, 03:36 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWA View Post
Hello All,

Thanks!
I take it you will have removed the RG3, stuck back on the original and the original pipes look good and square?

if not? is your sub-frame okay? (just a pointer) as I had a mis aligned sub frame which made the exhausts look offset

(but then i did throw the bike down the road with a 80mph lowside)

even with sub frame problems some (not so gentle) alignment technics and time did ensure all ended well.

if you havent put your originals back on, try them,
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-21-2011, 10:08 AM Thread Starter
JWA
Established Member

Unfortunately I do not have the stock exhaust or midpipe as the original owner had the dealer install the RG3 setup and did not ask for the stock parts (why do people do that?). However I went through the subframe and it all appears to be straight.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-21-2011, 10:32 AM

since you already have spacer add more washer to the side exhaust heading to that direction, don't forget take off two metal spring, play around little much sure it align in middle of the tail, tight to bolts then put the spring back.

07-MV Senna 201/300 My wife gift for my BD
05-MV F4 Track bike
16-Ducati DVT-S
10-Ducati 1198R
08-Ducati 1098
09-Ducati 848 Her bike turn in track bike
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-21-2011, 04:32 PM
lee

You have to dick around with the two dogbones that the mess hangs from to move it one way or another. Also that semi circular piece under the the mufflers that ties them together needs to be played with. I made a new one----- Oh and you can get them lined up perfectly. Both the individual spacing and centered under the tail.

I got mine. Boy do I ever got mine.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode