Thinking About An F4 ..... But Should I Be Concerned? - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-14-2011, 10:56 AM Thread Starter
Established Member

Thinking About An F4 ..... But Should I Be Concerned?

I was thinking Ducati 1198SP or MV F4 and was leaning towards the F4.

However, I've been spending a lot of time reading through the forum and now I'm not so sure about the F4.

It seems like MV has lots of quality issues and it's leaving a bad taste in my mouth.

I know these forums spotlight many issues (I'm a current Duc owner and I'm always on those forums too.) and most of the postings do usually focus on problems, etc.

However, it does seem that F4's coming from the factory have a considerable amount of "issues".

Don't get me wrong, the F4 is a beautiful bike.

But my 1st wife was beautifil too ..... but turned into a very bad performer .....

Like everybody, I don't want to put my money down only to regret it 30 to 60 days later.

Am I reading too much into this or what?????????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-14-2011, 11:24 AM

Hey ya know I was thinking the same thing.. I just bought my F4 a few weeks ago and ya I might have had a few issues like that small oil leak on the left side but really nothing to serious.. Its an amazing bike.. I've owned a few ducatis also and they are great bikes. If you do get the f4 you won't be disappointed. The build quality is very nice and the power delivery is just off the charts.. Way more than is needed for the street lol. Ducati or Mv you won't go wrong.. Even ducati has there issues
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-14-2011, 01:29 PM

I have had zero issues with my F4. I had far more problems with my 2009 1198S.

Both Ducati and MV are built by hand.....so I think it is kind of in the luck of the draw if you get a bike that has some issues or one that is fine.

FWIW the 1198 is a great bike, but I prefer the F4!
post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-14-2011, 03:16 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by w1smc View Post
I was thinking Ducati 1198SP or MV F4 and was leaning towards the F4.

However, I've been spending a lot of time reading through the forum and now I'm not so sure about the F4.

It seems like MV has lots of quality issues and it's leaving a bad taste in my mouth.

I know these forums spotlight many issues (I'm a current Duc owner and I'm always on those forums too.) and most of the postings do usually focus on problems, etc.

However, it does seem that F4's coming from the factory have a considerable amount of "issues".

Don't get me wrong, the F4 is a beautiful bike.

But my 1st wife was beautifil too ..... but turned into a very bad performer .....

Like everybody, I don't want to put my money down only to regret it 30 to 60 days later.

Am I reading too much into this or what?????????
I think if you are going to purchase the new type of F4 Y10 you,ll be alright however I'd stay away from the old F4.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-14-2011, 03:21 PM
CAG

Send a message via Skype™ to CAG
Yes, you should be concerned. If you buy the F4 and have the problems mentioned, you will regret the decision.

Don't buy an F4.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-14-2011, 03:41 PM
Established Member

I bought an F4 only to find out about the problem(s). Overheating in particular. So I think I am now paranoid and having to buy parts to help the heat problem even before the bike gets here. But I have a feeling it will be worth it in the end. High Maintenance.

2003 749S
2008 F4 R312
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-14-2011, 04:39 PM

I have 5800 miles on my 2010. Exhaust heat shield bolts fell out twice. Maybe this time I'll locktight them. A fuse blew while riding in a monsoon. Otherwise, trouble free. I've owned Yamaha, Suzuki, Honda, Kawasaki, Ducati and a older MV F4 and the 2010 F4 is my favorite bike so far.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-14-2011, 06:21 PM
Cyber SPOTTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAG View Post
Yes, you should be concerned. If you buy the F4 and have the problems mentioned, you will regret the decision.

Don't buy an F4.

Gosh Carl - you DO have a way with words

After reading literally thousands of your posts I know exactly what you mean by that post - although I am not so sure a newbie would.

Translation of "CAG Speak":

Some of these bikes have had problems - if you buy it with a degree of uncertainty and a problem arises, then you will thinking "Man, I should have bought the Ducati" and regret the decision.

With MV Agusta & an F4 in particular you can't make a half assed decision. So if you are not sure don't buy it.

How's that Carl? Feel free to score my report card although I must confess anything below A+ will make me

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MVA - Maserati Vespa
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Agusta
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-14-2011, 06:31 PM

tinkering with the problems, making changes and doing maintenance is 20% of the fun....the other 80% is of course saddle time. If you don't enjoy the 20% above then the bikes can be frustrating because you have to rely on others to do the work......and that's a lot of down time for simple problems or fixes sometimes.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-14-2011, 06:35 PM

something you have to consider, there are plenty of ducati dealerships in yor area that if you need work you can choose from.

you the nearest mv dealers where you are, are both 2.5 hours away, something to consider.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode