F4s in traffic and temps - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-26-2011, 11:46 AM Thread Starter
Established Member

F4s in traffic and temps

Do all 750s suffer from getting hot in traffic? My duc was the same but is this a common trait that they all get hot in traffic pretty quickly? Even the twin rad evo models?

Is there anything that can be done to improve matters?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-26-2011, 01:07 PM
Established Member

They all have heat issues with the full fairing. Search through the forum and you'll find several "adjustments" for cooling:
Ceramic Coating headers
Muzzy fan upgrade
Water pump & impeller upgrade
Oil cooler
Thermal tape underneath the seat
etc...

take off the fairings
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-26-2011, 01:42 PM
The 750's aren't as bad as the 1000 models especially here in the UK. Twin rads are better than the early solo ones, one of the things to watch for is the heat shielding on the bellypan. Make sure that's OK or the paint can (and will) bubble up and the pan itself will be heat damaged.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Keep one wheel down!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If you can't fix it with a hammer you've got an electrical problem!

No MV's in the garage anymore
but I pop in here from time to time
. Come to think of it I don't have a garage since the old one burnt down!
But...…..a new one is currently rising from the ashes......watch this space!
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-26-2011, 01:59 PM
Established Member

New Site Garage
Just took my 910 Brutale to the continent from the UK went on the ferry to Zeebrugge sat in the queue on the boat and then everything stopped sat there for a bit then off the boat into a queue for passport control and then a cough splutter and it cut out 100 degrees centigrade, tried to start it and it acted as if the battery was flat. Thought I would let it cool then after 10 mins the queue had died down tried again and it still wouldn't start. Luckily two chaps from a van gave me a push and it started.
It kept going happily after that but I noticed the temp climb rapidly throughout the day if I stood for any length of time.
The battery is another issue its due another one.
Tried to upload some photos of the brute on tour but it won't have it
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-27-2011, 12:13 AM

I have found that all of the Italian bikes I have purchased here in the U.S. need to have the coolant drained and replaced with Engine Ice. I just do it as a rule now on any new bike. It has totally solved any overheating issues, and I have never had a bike fail or boil coolant since. I am in a fairly hot region of Southern California with stop and go traffic etc., so I doubt there is a better test area. If you think an MV is bad, try a Benelli for boiling over! I think that there are restrictions on coolant in Europe, so the manufacturers are forced to use an inferior product, thus leading to overheating. Engine Ice is the answer.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-27-2011, 12:20 AM

Where are you guys buying your engine ice?

Joe - mv2envy
AKA. MV Guy 12345

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-27-2011, 12:40 AM

And any thoughts on Evans NPG+? I want to give it a try.

Joe - mv2envy
AKA. MV Guy 12345

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-27-2011, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mv2envy View Post
Where are you guys buying your engine ice?
Any motorcycle shop here in the US has it. I get it from Thousand Oaks Power Sports in Thousand Oaks California. Cycle Gear also carries it. They have a website.

Last edited by Brutalian; 06-27-2011 at 12:48 AM.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-27-2011, 02:00 AM

Well as far as I know the 750's do not have any cooling issues....mine certainly dosen't. In a 40C day in city traffic mine will go to a max of 103C, and the fans will bring it back down to 99c, and then it varies between the 2 temps.

I have standard coolant in mine. My owners manual says that you only have to worry if it goes above 116C and the temp. gauge flashes. Mine has never gotten anywhere near that.

How high does your get to?
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-27-2011, 06:23 AM

My 2000 750 has got to 106C in the city, and was cutting out at juntions. I stay away from traffic now and only head into the city when it's quiet. Without mods my bike gets hot quiet quickly, generally the air running through the fairing works well from approax 40mph.

I have relined the bellypan with Thermo-Tec tape(good stuff), as the original heat shielding was missing. The fairing on the left side shows some bubbling of the paint. The bikes fairing design is to close, don't run the bike on it's side stand.

Last edited by MVBERT; 06-27-2011 at 06:30 AM. Reason: More info.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode