I met a new friend yesterday, Officer Friendly - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-24-2011, 12:34 AM Thread Starter

I met a new friend yesterday, Officer Friendly

I was putting along minding my own business and this Highway Patrol Officer wanted to talk to me, I mean he was really wanting to talk to me. Evidently he had been wanting to talk to me for several miles.

I finally heard his siren at a bus stop type 90 degree turn and then promptly pulled over. Keep in mind I was only just cruising in this 70 mph twisty bit of road. I asked him, What's up? I was only doing 70 and that is when his true intentions became known. He aswered with "Bull Shit, I clocked you at 85 at one point". I then said "Gee Officer I thought I was only doing 70". He then went on to explain that he had been chasing me for several miles and was having a very difficult time keeping up. I explained that there is a lot of wind noise inside my helmet and I did not hear his siren until I slowed way down for the bus stop turn.
Any way, he cut me some slack on the speeding but gave me a ticket for Failure to give the right of way to an emergency vehical, his vehical I am thinking. It will cost me $85.00.
I was peacefully checking out the new map I got from Chris at XBikes for my MicroTec ECU and very happy with the way everything was going up until that point.
The officer did warn me about using my mirrors from time to time and I explained that usually I am passing everyone so I never worry about the mirrors very much. Cars or trucks can't do the speed limit of 70 on this road but for only small portions of it where a bike can just about everywhere except for the bus stop of course.
He also warned me about the bicycle riders and they sometimes don't stay on the side of the road like they should. I told him I don't go out on the weekends because of that very thing, too many bicycle riders out on Saturdays and Sundays and that I will be careful.
We parted well and we both went on about our own business.
I will in the future be checking my mirrors from now on just to make sure we don't meet like that again. Thank God he only saw me doing 85 and not earlier at well above 100.
The map works well and I am very pleased.
I did find something out about my suit though. The speed hump on the back was keeping my helmet from tilting up so I can see so I took it out and shaved a good inch off of the leading edge. My Alpine Star suit has a little hatch on the inside of the hump so you can take the foam out. This was a wonderful thing to do because now I can tilt my head up and not be straining my neck all the time.
This problem was most apparent on the F4 because of the aggressive riding position more so than with any of my other bikes. Also if your back protector is up too high this can also affect how high you can tilt your head up if it is between the back bottom edge of your helmet and your back. This little discovery made my day and even over shadowed the ticket.
I love my F4 even more now than I did before.

If Adam and Eve were Chinese, we would still be in paradise
because they would have ignored the apple and eaten the snake!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-24-2011, 01:59 AM

A good story thanks!

MV Agusta 1000S 1+1 (2004); Suzuki GSXR 600 (2005); Honda CB750; Honda CB175; BSA 350 (1939) ;
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-24-2011, 03:49 AM

New Site Garage
No doubt that the mirrors on an MV is best suited as a garnish.

Brutale 910R Hydrogen
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

And White bullet
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-24-2011, 04:19 AM

I don't want to be a smarty pants but we should all be checking our mirrors in the cruise at say 10 second intervals..That is good roadcraft. We should always have the "radar" on and be aware of the big picture going on around us.
85 - 100 mph is faster than the average traffic speed ( usually ) but an emergency vehicle could very well exceed that..Also other cars and bikes could come up behind you...We have to know whats going on behind.

The fact that we have to move our head slightly to look in the mirrors is a plus as it means the drivers behind can see you checking. I find in heavy traffic this usually results in cars that are a bit close backing off as they pick up on the roadcraft the rider is showing. The action of you being seen to use your mirrors also informs following traffic that you may be about to change your road position.

I think the officer made a good call..The little bit of excessive speed wasn't dangerous...Riders not looking in their mirrors is...

Thanks for sharing your experience..It's good to take something positive from it.

I read the Police Riders Motorcycling hand book recently. It's very informative and also shows you the culture of what officers like to see in our riding...get one !

atb

joe
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-24-2011, 04:56 AM
A similar thing happened to me last week. I now have a 50 mile commute to work (until I get the house sold!) the route is twisty 'A' roads with the odd good straight and in summer it's busy with holiday traffic, caravans, motorhomes and the like. This particular day I was on the Ducati heading home from work having just passed one of the aforementioned holiday vehicles. A straight section of road beckoned ahead, the throttle got twisted and the velocity approached 3 figures as I closed on another slower vehicle ahead. It was then I noticed cars approaching in the opposite direction were flashing their lights and looking in my mirrors (which are far more use than the MV ones) I saw a patrol car coming up fast with blues and twos all flashing merrily. I could only assume I was the target so I pulled over and waited for the inevitable. To my suprise the Police car flashed past and disappeared into the distance. Joe's advice is very pertinent, keep an eye on those mirrors.

Keep one wheel down!

If you can't fix it with a hammer you've got an electrical problem!

No MV's in the garage anymore
but I pop in here from time to time
. Come to think of it I don't have a garage since the old one burnt down!
But...…..a new one is currently rising from the ashes......watch this space!
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-24-2011, 05:20 AM
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotojoe View Post
I don't want to be a smarty pants but we should all be checking our mirrors in the cruise at say 10 second intervals..That is good roadcraft. We should always have the "radar" on and be aware of the big picture going on around us.
85 - 100 mph is faster than the average traffic speed ( usually ) but an emergency vehicle could very well exceed that..Also other cars and bikes could come up behind you...We have to know whats going on behind.

The fact that we have to move our head slightly to look in the mirrors is a plus as it means the drivers behind can see you checking. I find in heavy traffic this usually results in cars that are a bit close backing off as they pick up on the roadcraft the rider is showing. The action of you being seen to use your mirrors also informs following traffic that you may be about to change your road position.

I think the officer made a good call..The little bit of excessive speed wasn't dangerous...Riders not looking in their mirrors is...

Thanks for sharing your experience..It's good to take something positive from it.

I read the Police Riders Motorcycling hand book recently. It's very informative and also shows you the culture of what officers like to see in our riding...get one !

atb

joe
Good post Joe
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-24-2011, 02:59 PM

Thanks for the post. Hope the officer doesn't read this
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-25-2011, 12:41 AM Thread Starter

It might be a good thing if he does read this or any other Patrol officer. I agree he made a good call, I was not paying attention as I should have. I will from now on be looking in my mirrors while driving my car, truck or riding my bikes.
We get into this mode when doing track days or racing for that matter of not looking behind you with good reason. The only thing that matters is what is in front of you or to your sides not behind.
In the world at large to know what is going on around you front and back is very important.
Say you are coming to a stop at a red light. I always check to make sure the person behind me is stopping also. If they are spacing out it could get real ugly for you getting hit from behind. I don't frequint town and stay out on the back roads except to gas up at the first station on the way into town and then back out again.
When I am on the street I need to be in the street mode not the race track mode.
I am glad I got stopped and take it as a warning to pay more attention in the future of what is going on around me 360 degrees. Thank you Officer Friendly

If Adam and Eve were Chinese, we would still be in paradise
because they would have ignored the apple and eaten the snake!
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-25-2011, 09:18 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to silentservice703
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagerider View Post
I was putting along minding my own business and this Highway Patrol Officer wanted to talk to me, I mean he was really wanting to talk to me. Evidently he had been wanting to talk to me for several miles.

I finally heard his siren at a bus stop type 90 degree turn and then promptly pulled over....

.....I explained that there is a lot of wind noise inside my helmet and I did not hear his siren until I slowed way down for the bus stop turn.

So remember all you Loud Pipes kiddies...rear facing noise does nothing but disturb the peace...and lose your rights.

(Sorry, had to! )

On the subject of the thread, it is nice to hear that the Mr. Officer Friendly got his point across without killing your insurance rates for the next six years.....

Gapalicious 2019 at
from OCTOBER 2-6, 2019

Call (423) 519-2000 or (423) 253-6213 to reserve your Riverfront Cabin. PM me for The Crow's Nest reservation!!!

Email/Paypal:

My personal Cell Phone: (781) 223-3020

'07 F4 312R, '10 B4 1090RR, '15 B3 800RR
'07 Ducati Monster S4Rs, '07 Ducati Monster 695
2010 Harley Davidson Ultra-Classic Electra-glide CVO FLHTCUSEBLK
'63 Honda C100A Cub
'61 MVA TRA 125
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-25-2011, 04:19 PM
dml
Established Member

From time to time i check my mirrors...

But if something of that woul happen to me:
1st-He wouldn't catch up...
2nd-Because of first I wouldnt pull over..
3rd- I also was not going to hear him. After 180km 200km i only hear is wind..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode