Quick release fuel connector leak - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-23-2011, 02:06 AM Thread Starter

Quick release fuel connector leak

I just replaced my tank after having it off to find there is a fuel leak at one of the quick release fuel line connectors!

I have inspected both the fuel lines ends, and the connectors in the tank and can't find any signs at all of damage or broken seals at all etc.

I was really careful when disconnecting them so I am not sure what is going on, as I said it is only ONE connector that is leaking and the leak becomes a small river when I turned the fuel pump on....

please help.......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-23-2011, 02:16 AM

New Site Garage
Exclamation Plastic connectors ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokeywill View Post
I just replaced my tank after having it off to find there is a fuel leak at one of the quick release fuel line connectors!

I have inspected both the fuel lines ends, and the connectors in the tank and can't find any signs at all of damage or broken seals at all etc.

I was really careful when disconnecting them so I am not sure what is going on, as I said it is only ONE connector that is leaking and the leak becomes a small river when I turned the fuel pump on....

please help.......
Have you swapped the plastic for the metal fittings yet ? If not then I will bet it is the 90deg fittings which are either cracked or broken.
Read through this and then contact CAG for fuel fittings.
http://www.mvagusta.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39000

Dons Nel
Own - Two F4 1000R's 06 and 07.
PayPal :
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

eMial:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mobile in Australia: 0438 385 776
Website with MV Manuals for Most models -
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-23-2011, 04:04 AM Thread Starter

Cheers Donsy,

That is an amazing thread you have pieced together and really well documented.

I may well end up replacing the fittings to the metal version, but I am still wondering what is going on as I can't for the life of me spot any damage or cracks or anything so I wouldn't want to replace the parts if they are not broken.

It appears as if the leaking connector is not engaging properly but it does have a nice sharp click as I push it into position and the seal is sliding in fine.....

Thanks heaps for the link to the thread mate, awesome work.

Will.
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-23-2011, 04:25 AM

New Site Garage
Exclamation -1

No problem Will, what are the o-rings like on the 90deg fittings, i have piched them b4 and then fuel just pisses out. BTW, in time get some of the metal fittings, even if you just get the 90deg one's, because those plastic one's will fail for sure.

Dons Nel
Own - Two F4 1000R's 06 and 07.
PayPal :

eMial:

Mobile in Australia: 0438 385 776
Website with MV Manuals for Most models -
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-23-2011, 07:43 AM

I've had to move my tank on and off a good few times in the last couple of weeks. What I can say is that if plastic fuel connectors were fitted...they would definitely have broken as they aren't up to the job. The flexible fuel lines aren't that flexible..and the area under the tank is cramped and full of snags..so the 90deg plastic connectors get tugged and pulled. As they age they get brittle and "work hardened" and they snap. For what it costs change them as the thought of fuel leaking out onto a hot engine or in your garage at night doesn't bear thinking about...As an illustration ..would you want plastic handle bars ?

It's a no brainer..change them for peace of mind...
joe

Last edited by gotojoe; 06-23-2011 at 07:47 AM.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-25-2011, 01:28 AM Thread Starter

Hey Donsy guess what, turns out the O-ring seal in the 90 degree connector had a tiny nik in it.

Everything else is fine, as I had already bought the metal connectors for the tank and the fuel line I just used the seal from the new connector and will do the full replacment once I have all the other bits, I have a few other bits and bobs to take care of first and I'm keen to get her back on the road asap after replacing the stock air filter with the BMC job and keen to check the difference.

Thanks heaps for the tip mate.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode