Mv Agusta Good Choice For Track Days? - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-21-2011, 01:47 PM Thread Starter

Mv Agusta Good Choice For Track Days?

I ask this question because when I show at any track day with my MV, and at this point Im on my second, everyone looks at me like if I crazy to put an MV on the track and its like people are betting if Ill ever end the track day.
Some may be surprised that I put such a beautifull bike on the track instead of a japanese second hand option but most dont trust on MV track reliability.
Its a fact that friends say that on previous track days MVs normally end in bad shape - motors breaking, rods ending bad,... - well the sort of thing that makes me start wondering if Im doing the right thing.
At this point I would like to hear from you, specially if you already have a lot of track days experience with your MV, the positive and negative effects.
My experience so far has been good - No Problems - and I only feel that the MV is a bit heavy if you compare for example to a Ducati otherwise the engine is a blast, the slipper clutch nice, top stability and breaks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-21-2011, 02:02 PM

Track days

My 750 only see the track. No problems to date. Fast enough for me as I get nearer to the fast group.
It does draw attention though, in a good way. I cannot imagine doing a trackday on any other bike.
You are right that they are a bit heavy compared to other bikes, but fast enough all the same.
Go well and stay safe.

oldnfast(ish) Racing towards old age
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-21-2011, 02:04 PM
Al-

a rule of thumb someone told me a long time ago when i started racing cars:

"every race car is totaled the second it hits the track, its just a matter of when"

with that in mind, if you can afford to write off you MV and or repair anything that might happen then by all means run it, that's what its for.

2004 F4 SPR F4RR Corsacorta Powered
2006 Brutale 910S
2012 F4 RR
2012 F4 RR
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-21-2011, 03:49 PM

Honestly? No.
I bet you'd have way more fun with a lighter and easier bike, like say... a Triumph 675.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-21-2011, 03:58 PM
Established Member

My track day bike is a Ducati air cooled SS that weighs in at 350 pounds and lighter is always better at the track. That said I have a friend who has had his 2000 F4S on the track many times and no problems to date.

Jim
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-21-2011, 08:10 PM
CAG

Send a message via Skype™ to CAG
I've been riding a 750 at the track for three years now. No problems other than low siding it and messing up the suspension. (Which is awesome now, thank you.) Everyone loves the sound of it.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-21-2011, 08:54 PM

New Site Garage
Exclamation +10

I do a bit of Track work on mine, and like Carl I have the odd mishap, parts are not a problem.

If it's too heavy you can always harden up a bit, it depends on how fast you really want to go. The brakes and suspension are more than good enough for trackdays and only really need work when you start peddling a bit faster.

Reliability is not a problem most of the time, I see Ducati's destroy themselves almost as much as the Honda's, but not as often as Truimph's btw, make sure you use a good oil and change it more regularly if you are riding in very hot climate.

It is a great bike just for track days, I get comments like "Dons you will be a sec a lap faster on a Honda", so what, I'm riding what I want to ride. I know I'm not going to be world champ so why even think that way, have fun on the bike you want to have fun on.

I was told the other day that since I started racing my MV, there is now about 5 MV's that show up regularly for Track Days over here. I certainly see a lot more of it happening on the forum.

Most people with negative comments are usually jealous Japanese bike only riders, they will have the same comments for Ducati's or Aprilia's, don't bother with them, just pass them.

I have yet to ride a 1078, but I have ridden a few others bike's, and I can not see how a Truimph 675 or a SS can be more fun than a wild F4, or Brutie for that matter.

That's just my opinion, and that's what I mean, don't worry about others mate , do what you want to do !!!

Dons Nel
Own - Two F4 1000R's 06 and 07.
PayPal :
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

eMial:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mobile in Australia: 0438 385 776
Website with MV Manuals for Most models -

Last edited by Donsy; 06-22-2011 at 03:51 AM.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-21-2011, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donsy View Post

It is a great bike just for track days, I get comments like "Dons you will be a sec a lap faster on a Honda", so what, I'm riding what I want to ride. I know I'm not going to be world champ so why even think that way, have fun on the bike you want to have fun on.

+1000

not that i do doubt you will become the future valentino, but just
in case you do not
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-21-2011, 10:59 PM

Well said Dons. I completely agree.

Who cares if some Honda rider doesn't like MV? Not me. Do you care what other people say about the things you eat for dinner - would you let their opinions affect your palate?

Be faster than them! Give them some exhaust fumes. Your bike is no less reliable than anything else out there.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-22-2011, 03:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donsy View Post
I do a bit of Track work on mine, and like Carl I have the odd mishap, parts are not a problem.

If it's too heavy you can always harden up a bit, it depends on how fast you really want to go. The brakes and suspension are more than good enough for trackdays and only really need work when you start peddling a bit faster.

Reliability is not a problem most of the time, I see Ducati's destroy themselves almost as much as the Honda's, but not as often as Truimph's btw, make sure you use a good oil and change it more regularly if you are riding in very hot climate.

I was told the other day that since I started racing my MV, there is now about 5 MV's that show up regularly for Track Days over here. I certainly see a lot more of it happening on the forum.

Most people with negative comments are usually jealous Japanese bike only riders, they will have the same comments for Ducati's or Aprilia's, don't bother with them, just pass them.

I have yet to ride a 1078, but I have ridden a few others bike's, and I can not see how a Truimph 675 or a SS can be more fun than a wild F4.

That's just my opinion, and that's what I mean, don't worry about others mate , do what you want to do !!!
yep,well said donsy,enjoy the mv.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode