LSL Bar Risers - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-18-2011, 08:36 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

LSL Bar Risers

For those who remember I have not been happy with the bar position of my 2000 F4S and have had trouble with my fingers going to sleep. I do not like the zero degree drop bars so have been looking for something else. Well I have now solved my problem. I bought some bar risers from LSL for 56 mm tubes and a friend enlarged them to 58 mm for me. They have a 37 mm increase in rise and a drop of 5 degrees. I believe the stock ones are 8 degrees. The risers had wall thickness of 5.5 mm where they mounted to the tubes so there was enough meat to remove 1 mm and give me the size I needed.

I installed them this weekend and other than removing the upper triple clamp is was very easy. I marked the tubes where the stock clip ons mounted and installed the LSL at the same position on the tubes. I bought some used Brembo radial master cylinders for both the brake and clutch side. I have them with remote fluid reservoirs that I mounted by drilling and tapping the plastic plugs on the inside end of the bars. Then I rotated them down so the levers are at a more natural position and I do not have to lift my hands over the levers.

On the clutch side I have no issues with clearance and can swing the handle bars fill lock to the right. On the brake side the barrel of the throttle hits the side of the fairing just before full lock left. I can actually pull up on the fairing and it will go under so if this becomes a problem I can lower the bars a little but I want to ride it first.

The two Brembo master cylinders must be a smaller bore size than the stock ones because the clutch pull is very light and the brake travels a little more than the stock one. The clutch pull was so light I checked the bore size and the stock one is 16 mm or I believe it is because that is stamped on the bottom. The Brembo is not marked in any way I can tell but the Ducati mechanic at our shop said it is either 13 or 14 mm and that would confirm my feel. I put the bike in gear and pulled the clutch and can feel the plates resisting movement. I put a spacer into the mount of the master cylinder to move it away from the handle bar and give me more travel but it did not change the feel described above. I started the bike put it into gear and it did not lunge forward or reduce the idle. I did notice I had to let the lever out a long way for the bike to start moving forward so I am wondering if the slight resistance is normal. Too many years on dry clutch Ducati. I called a friend with a 2002 and he reports the same slight resistance I encountered so I think I am fine.

Tomorrow before the heat arrives I am going for a test ride. I have lots of photos of the set up including the bar end mirrors and blister type turn signals I have installed to get ride of the funky chicken method of seeing what is behind. I will try to post them to this message but I am concerned they are too large and I will have to spend some time reducing them.

Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-18-2011, 09:07 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

Done resizing photos so this may make more sense. Sorry the camera had trouble focusing on the spacer but you can get the idea because it is black and the rest of the parts are silver.

Jim
Attached Images

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-19-2011, 03:38 AM

Those seem very long! And I really like the way 0 degree bars feel. I honestly dont see why they have to have any degree drop.

Joe - mv2envy
AKA. MV Guy 12345
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-19-2011, 03:47 AM
Good write up Jim, please keep us up to date on how they feel when you get some more miles under your belt.

Keep one wheel down!

If you can't fix it with a hammer you've got an electrical problem!

No MV's in the garage anymore
but I pop in here from time to time
. Come to think of it I don't have a garage since the old one burnt down!
But...…..a new one is currently rising from the ashes......watch this space!
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-19-2011, 08:40 AM Thread Starter
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mv2envy View Post
Those seem very long! And I really like the way 0 degree bars feel. I honestly dont see why they have to have any degree drop.
Some folks have always like the zero degree drop. Personally they give me pains in my wrist. I once read the ideal bar position is to close your eyes and reach out and where your hands end up is the natural position. When I do this I have no pain when I ride. I did this same basic modification to my 916 and turned it from a 100 mile ride torture rack to a 350 mile day ride in the mountains bike. It will never be a tour bike but I can now spend the day with my friends.

As they say different strokes for different folks but the flat bars especially ones that do not have any pull back just kill me.

Jim
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-23-2011, 09:47 AM Thread Starter
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john View Post
Good write up Jim, please keep us up to date on how they feel when you get some more miles under your belt.
These bars are about one inch longer than stock but the stock ones will fit in the LSL risers. I just ordered some new ones because the throttle side was bent from a garage tip over, previous owner's story any way, and they turned out to be longer. That allowed the throttle to be moved out board some and made more steering lock before it contacted the fairing.

I am sending out a report on my short ride this morning. I was out about an hour and covered about 55 miles. The bars are working wonderfully. The old bars had my thumb, middle and index finger tingling in about fifteen minutes. I did not stop except for gas in the first five miles so most of the mileage was done at one time. I may look to see if I can get a little more pull back but over all they are way more comfortable than the old bars and the pull back and drop are natural to my grip. I put a spacer in the Brembo clutch master cylinder mount to make sure the smaller master would have enough travel to work the clutch. Well it is fine and actually had the engagement point too far from the bar to feel natural. I really do not need the spacer. The Brembo brake master cylinder still allows the lever to come too close to the bar so I will move the spacer from the clutch to the brake and see if that solves my problem.

All in all I consider this a rousing success and am glad I did the switch.

Jim
il Capo

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode