F4 750 concern - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-16-2011, 02:41 PM Thread Starter

Unhappy F4 750 concern

Hi new to the forum and now very worried. Just bought a f4 750 with he intention of touring Europe. Then found the rear hub thread. Seems lik I made a big mistake? Any advice/reassurance anyone can offer?

Thanks WS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-16-2011, 02:43 PM

check the wheel for play, as long as the hub bolts aren't over tightened, along with the chain being to tight, you'll be fine.

The vast majority have gone a long time without needing replacement as long as they follow the guidelines. Service every 7500 (Grease and check). I would recommend doing that b4 your trip.

Adding power makes you faster on the straights, while subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere - Colin Chapman

2004 Brutale 750S
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-16-2011, 07:27 PM
Established Member

You can have the hub rebuilt at a fraction of the price of purchasing a new one. I have a 2000 750 and rebuild the hub every 10000 km's out of principle and piece of mind. As long as the chain tensioner bolts are not over tightened during re-assembly you should be fine and can enjoy your trip.
Bearings needed are listed on the site somewhere, perhaps some of the UK forum members know of a local supplier/ fitter that can help you. I believe "knurl" (member on the forum can get you the bearings as well.
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-17-2011, 03:20 AM

Yeah right You bought the the F4 with the intention of touring Europe with it. I can't imagine that somebody could be as blue eyed. However the beauty of our communication age is that You can find informations on every failure on any vehicle possible. So are thousands of F4 / B4 cruising / tracking around the globe and had never a rear hub failure. And guess what, thousands of F4 riders jump on their bikes without even giving a damn f... about rear hubs. Guess what they have ton's of fun and return home with a intact rear hub. Jesus Christ if You are so afraid about a rear hub, You should give up motorcycling in general. Because it is bloody dangerous. Likewise is Live very fragile to begin with.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-17-2011, 03:30 AM

spose UK translation of what haupti said would be summit like
Odds of rear hub failure = Y
Odds of rider interface = Y x 5
Service it before you go - just done Pyrenees end to end no problems

Last edited by Totale; 06-17-2011 at 03:38 AM.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-17-2011, 06:35 AM

To the OP, firstly welcome to the forum.

I wouldn't necesarily suggest agree that you have made a mistake. I do know of users on this forum who have toured Europe on an MV with no problems. Certainly not the most practical bike in the world but touring is possible.

I understand that you are learning about the f4 and your new purchase so on this quote:-

Quote:
Originally Posted by haupti View Post
Yeah right You bought the the F4 with the intention of touring Europe with it. I can't imagine that somebody could be as blue eyed. However the beauty of our communication age is that You can find informations on every failure on any vehicle possible. So are thousands of F4 / B4 cruising / tracking around the globe and had never a rear hub failure. And guess what, thousands of F4 riders jump on their bikes without even giving a damn f... about rear hubs. Guess what they have ton's of fun and return home with a intact rear hub. Jesus Christ if You are so afraid about a rear hub, You should give up motorcycling in general. Because it is bloody dangerous. Likewise is Live very fragile to begin with.
IMHO the above is just toilet and not indicative of the response you will usually recieve on such a friendly forum. I personally would use information on this site to ascertain the condition of your hub. It is a known weak point of the MV (so such an extent that a fellow forum user has designed and manufactured an alternative) and in a small number of cases has failed catestrophically.

Motorcycling is dangerous but that doesn't stop you protecting yourself and other road users as best as possible.

When my Dad and I first laid our eyes on an MV Agusta at the UK launch, we were simply blown away.................

Last edited by Submariner; 06-17-2011 at 06:44 AM.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-17-2011, 06:53 AM

Hub doubts

I have a 750 track bike and have had no probs at all.
I think the hub was designed for the 750, and can therefore cope better with the lower H.P. of these bikes.
Don´t worry, it´s a great bike.

oldnfast(ish) Racing towards old age
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-17-2011, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
To the OP, firstly welcome to the forum.

I wouldn't necesarily suggest agree that you have made a mistake. I do know of users on this forum who have toured Europe on an MV with no problems. Certainly not the most practical bike in the world but touring is possible.

I understand that you are learning about the f4 and your new purchase so on this quote:-

IMHO the above is just toilet and not indicative of the response you will usually recieve on such a friendly forum. I personally would use information on this site to ascertain the condition of your hub. It is a known weak point of the MV (so such an extent that a fellow forum user has designed and manufactured an alternative) and in a small number of cases has failed catestrophically.

Motorcycling is dangerous but that doesn't stop you protecting yourself and other road users as best as possible.
+100
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-17-2011, 07:24 AM

Second attempt. The F4S (750) has a very sporty, forwartd stretched riding position, as an nineties race bike. The result is it is a real joy on the track, but has some comfort issues in city traffic, in tight turns of the alpine roads and long rides. So now where You want to go touring I would strongly recommend that You get some handle bar risers (FBF fo an example). It is fairly difficult to carry lots of luggage with You on an F4 too. Some fiddle saddle bags on their F4, other (taller riders) use tank bags, me as a shorter guy use a back pack. So a tooth brush, credit cards, a small camera, underwear to change etc, are the maximum.
Sure the rear hub issue is of great concern and You should always be aware of the correct tightness of the chain, never exceed the torque values and never wash the rear hub assembly with a power washer. If You take care of this and certified MV Agusta service, than are F4's able to reach 5 digit mileages, some made even more than 100.000 km.

No apologize to my first statement, it is simply hilarious to read why peoples buy bikes, what they plan on doing with it and what knowledge they learn from forums. But I hope Submariner that my new statement fits to the great values of the civilized mvagusta.net community.

By the way I'm longer here than You.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-17-2011, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by haupti View Post
Second attempt. The F4S (750) has a very sporty, forwartd stretched riding position, as an nineties race bike. The result is it is a real joy on the track, but has some comfort issues in city traffic, in tight turns of the alpine roads and long rides. So now where You want to go touring I would strongly recommend that You get some handle bar risers (FBF fo an example). It is fairly difficult to carry lots of luggage with You on an F4 too. Some fiddle saddle bags on their F4, other (taller riders) use tank bags, me as a shorter guy use a back pack. So a tooth brush, credit cards, a small camera, underwear to change etc, are the maximum.
Sure the rear hub issue is of great concern and You should always be aware of the correct tightness of the chain, never exceed the torque values and never wash the rear hub assembly with a power washer. If You take care of this and certified MV Agusta service, than are F4's able to reach 5 digit mileages, some made even more than 100.000 km.

No apologize to my first statement, it is simply hilarious to read why peoples buy bikes, what they plan on doing with it and what knowledge they learn from forums. But I hope Submariner that my new statement fits to the great values of the civilized mvagusta.net community.

By the way I'm longer here than You.
Man, it started off all so well but was tarnished by the swipe at the end!!

When my Dad and I first laid our eyes on an MV Agusta at the UK launch, we were simply blown away.................

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode