What idle speed - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-12-2006, 02:00 PM Thread Starter

What idle speed

My F4 1000 has currently idling at around 1400 rpm. The manual says it should be around 1150. I have contacted the dealer I have just bought the bike from and they tell me when they pdi bikes idle speed is checked and the bike is at the right idle - they just run a bit faster than most bikes. Can anyone shed any light on this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-12-2006, 02:39 PM

As the manual says it should be around the 1150 mark, at 1400rpm it will overheat worse than normal in traffic, probabaly needs a co/balance set up now it has loosened off a bit
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-12-2006, 02:40 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to altoon
Adjusting the idle on the MV is not an easy task. Hell, I'm not even sure how you'd go about it now with the 1kR motors.

On my F4 1kS, there is an idle speed screw, which can only be reached if the gas tank is off the bike. However, that screw may not have the adjustment you need. As a matter of fact, on my F4 I wanted to turn the idle down after I had adjusted the CO trim pot to a new setting for smoother power delivery. Unfortunately, the idle set screw was already fully seated! There was no way for me to turn the idle down at that point. Bummer.

So I resorted to adjusting the CO trim pot back a bit. I think I've got it pretty good now. She runs beautifully when warm. And the idle is like 1300.

If you want to change the idle, the CO trim pot is one way to do it.

Alex
post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-12-2006, 06:57 PM

would the grade of fuel hes useing or some other simple problem cause this ??
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-12-2006, 07:21 PM
Established Member

Send a message via AIM to SOULRIDER Send a message via Yahoo to SOULRIDER
I just checked mine.

It's right at 1400 aswell, and it's new also.

I wonder if they will adjust this on the first service.

Since you just picked it up it may be due to the engine being "tighter" since it's going through break-in.

Again I got the same reading on mine.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-12-2006, 07:26 PM

sandy where do u live ? soulrider is in GA , it might be the o2 sensor on air an fuel mix , how about the idle circuit being closed all the way . my 1000r had a manuel choke on it
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-13-2006, 01:36 AM Thread Starter

I live in the U.K. The choke(fast idle) makes no difference to the tick over if you move it when the engine is running. I have conacted my local dealer and they told me to wait a couple of weeks to see how things go, if I need to they will then have a look. Only trouble is the cold weather is soon to be upon us and so it will be time to put the bike to bed till spring. So I will most probably have to wait till next year!!!
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-13-2006, 03:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandybandy
I live in the U.K. The choke(fast idle) makes no difference to the tick over if you move it when the engine is running. I have conacted my local dealer and they told me to wait a couple of weeks to see how things go, if I need to they will then have a look. Only trouble is the cold weather is soon to be upon us and so it will be time to put the bike to bed till spring. So I will most probably have to wait till next year!!!
The fast idle should make a difference, if it doesn't it means the cables are adjusted wrongly, and require setting under the tank, the set up procedure gives a maximum the fast idle should lift the rpm by, from memory it's around 2200rpm.

An idle speed of 1400rpm will not help the MV's temperature at all in slow/stationary traffic, looks like most 1000S's require a full set up when they loosen off a bit and the injection mechanical stuff settles down, your dealer should be able to sort it, but after saying that there are so many out there that appear clueless regarding anything but an oil change.

James's FAQ page has all the information for DIY merchants, or indeed to take to someone who can perform this task.
Ducati's are set up very similar, so any good Ducati tech would be able to sort it,

Last edited by mikef4uk; 10-13-2006 at 03:21 AM.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-13-2006, 04:23 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice. I think i will get my dealer (3x motorcycles)to look at it, it all seems a bit fiddly to me!
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-13-2006, 04:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandybandy
Thanks for the advice. I think i will get my dealer (3x motorcycles)to look at it, it all seems a bit fiddly to me!
Sandy? I would take it back armed with the relevant info, you know, idle speed, fast idle speed, any stalling issues, they can sort it, but I guess if they think they can get away with not doing it or bullshit they will!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode