Removal of CAT F4 - MVAgusta.net
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-24-2011, 07:30 AM Thread Starter

Removal of CAT F4

Since a bit over a month I have a F4 1000 S from 2006. It standard has 166 HP but I heard a number of times that you can remove the middle part of the exhaust (so the part with the CAT in it) to bumb up the HP to 176 - 180.

Did anybody did this modification already? If yes, do you need to buy a new middle part of the exhaust or can you easily remove the CAT from existing exhaust system?

Any help on this issue is appreciated

Isn't the F4 the most beautiful bike you have ever seen?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-24-2011, 08:38 AM

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rommeld View Post
Since a bit over a month I have a F4 1000 S from 2006. It standard has 166 HP but I heard a number of times that you can remove the middle part of the exhaust (so the part with the CAT in it) to bumb up the HP to 176 - 180.

Did anybody did this modification already? If yes, do you need to buy a new middle part of the exhaust or can you easily remove the CAT from existing exhaust system?

The figures you quote are most likely based on output @ the crankshaft, in reality the standard 1000s has about 150 (+/-5) @ the rear wheel.

A very good and well sorted 1000s will make about 160-165bhp @ the rear wheel, anything much more than that is bullshit from this bike unless there have been some serious mods made.

To achieve 160-165 you will need to remove the cat, fit the de-cat link pipe, after-market slip-ons, after-market air-filter and power commander and then have the machine custom mapped.

Just replacing the cat with a link pipe will not bump the power up as you have been told, there is far more to it than just that and in all reality you will need a power commander to correct the fueling.

Also its worth remembering that not all dyno's read the same either, I have found that over the past 4 years that I have owned a 2005 1000s its not necessarily the amount of power that you have its how that power is delivered that really counts, mine pulls from nothing and drives real nice, just ask Erik V as he rode it a few weeks ago over the mountain here on the TT course

Last edited by adecritten; 05-24-2011 at 08:56 AM.
Old 05-24-2011, 09:14 AM

Listen to Ade, he knows what he is talking about. Buy a Arrow catless midpipe, get some exhaust slip-ons (like RG3 or Arrows) a good air filter like DNA and a power commander III USB and take the bike to the dyno shop.

Oh and if not already done, switch out the spark plugs to Iridium, NGK CR9EIX.

Joe - mv2envy
AKA. MV Guy 12345
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-24-2011, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rommeld View Post

I wish that was the case! I saw this on ebay though which may be of interest to you.....

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Mv-Agusta-F4-E...item20b979f130
Old 05-24-2011, 10:10 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mv2envy View Post
Listen to Ade, he knows what he is talking about. Buy a Arrow catless midpipe, get some exhaust slip-ons (like RG3 or Arrows) a good air filter like DNA and a power commander III USB and take the bike to the dyno shop.

With "exhaust slip-ons" you mean a silencer?

What would be a normal price for the de-cat link pipe on Ebay?

Isn't the F4 the most beautiful bike you have ever seen?
Old 05-24-2011, 10:57 AM

For your upgrade mid-pipe record,
I found out Ago mid-pipe catless go with slipon exhaust sound better than Arrow mid-pipe, and oem cat cut out. http://www.mvagusta.net/forum/showthread.php?t=38023

ago mid-pipe> Arrow mid-pipe> oem cat cut out

ps: MV05 ebay link are good price, I have my cat remove cost more than that. any catless less $150's good deal.

07-MV Senna 201/300 My wife gift for my BD
05-MV F4 Track bike
16-Ducati DVT-S
10-Ducati 1198R
08-Ducati 1098
09-Ducati 848 Her bike turn in track bike

Last edited by PhilAgusta; 05-24-2011 at 11:03 AM.
Old 05-24-2011, 11:05 AM
I've done all the mods Ade mentioned to my bike and afterwards it was making 162 -163 at the rear wheel. I also agree that just bhp figures are meaningless, but my bike now pulls from virtually zero revs all the way up and is much nicer to ride that when it was stock. To save some money you can de-cat the existing mid pipe, i.e. cut it open at the 'bulge' and scrape out the innards then re-weld.

Keep one wheel down!

If you can't fix it with a hammer you've got an electrical problem!

No MV's in the garage anymore
but I pop in here from time to time
. Come to think of it I don't have a garage since the old one burnt down!
But.....a new one is currently rising from the ashes......watch this space!
Old 05-24-2011, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mv2envy View Post
Old 05-24-2011, 03:15 PM

What is the draw of iridium plugs? I don't put enough miles on anything to take advantage of the life extansion iridium gives.
Old 05-24-2011, 09:19 PM

Some F4's like to stall with the stock (non iridium) plugs. Its a cheap upgrade that makes a difference.

Joe - mv2envy
AKA. MV Guy 12345

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in