'00 F4 clean but dead - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-23-2011, 10:56 PM Thread Starter

'00 F4 clean but dead

Usual routine of washing the bike and letting it run while I dry off- arguments aside of whether or not this is a proper way to wash a bike... But heading out for work this morning after deciding to ride my beautiful and now clean F4 to work- nothing. Dead electronics. No lights, signals, fuel noises. Battery is 5 months old and not dead. All fuses intact...

Would really love to fix this without needing a trailer and a dealer visit. Never happened before; rarely ride in the rain but always wash it the same way. Checked the archives but it's not a fuse and not the battery...

Wondering if something just needs to dry out, but doesn't seem right. It feels like a fuse, but... are there more fuses than the main box?

Ugh.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-23-2011, 11:00 PM
Established Member

Have you unhooked the battery and cleaned the connections then rehooked 'em? When something like that happens to me I go straight to the battery. Next step would be where the ground wire hooks to the chassis, then the positive etc. Start at the source and work your way down the line till you find it.

Toby

Current Rides:
2002 MV Agusta F4 750
2000 Moto Guzzi V11 Sport
2000 KTM Duke II 640
2001 Yamaha YZ426F
1966 Ducati Sebring 350
1965 Ducati Bronco 125
1958 MDS Super Dart
1964 Yamaha YTD1
1973 Suzuki TS125
1973 Honda CT90
1966 Honda CL77 (2 of these)
1968 BSA 441 Shooting Star
1983 Husqvarna WR430
1949 Ariel VB 600cc Sidevalve
(Plus a whole herd of parts bikes)
post #3 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-23-2011, 11:01 PM

There is one on the left side. Water???????? Really??????????????????? (sorry I couldn't resist!) I always dry clean my bikes. They never see water.

Joe - mv2envy
AKA. MV Guy 12345
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-24-2011, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mv2envy View Post
There is one on the left side. Water???????? Really??????????????????? (sorry I couldn't resist!) I always dry clean my bikes. They never see water.
How in the world do you dryclean them!?

~Serge~
post #5 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-24-2011, 01:20 AM
You say all the fuses are intact, sorry to doubt you, but are you sure? What about the main fuse (can't remember if it's 30 or 40 amp) located on it's own behind the fairings.

Keep one wheel down!

If you can't fix it with a hammer you've got an electrical problem!

No MV's in the garage anymore
but I pop in here from time to time
. Come to think of it I don't have a garage since the old one burnt down!
But...Ö..a new one is currently rising from the ashes......watch this space!
post #6 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-24-2011, 06:53 AM
CAG

Send a message via Skype™ to CAG
Are you sure it is not something simple like a bumped kill switch? Very unusual that it would run fine wet, and next day nothing.
post #7 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-24-2011, 09:59 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by john View Post
You say all the fuses are intact, sorry to doubt you, but are you sure? What about the main fuse (can't remember if it's 30 or 40 amp) located on it's own behind the fairings.
Where exactly is the main fuse located? I've checked the fuse box on the right side.

It's not the kill switch- the dash doesn't light up, no signals, no sounds. Like the battery isn't connected at all.
post #8 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-24-2011, 11:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahhgooosta View Post
Where exactly is the main fuse located? I've checked the fuse box on the right side.

It's not the kill switch- the dash doesn't light up, no signals, no sounds. Like the battery isn't connected at all.
The main fuse is on the Left side (as you sit on the bike) not the right. Remove the LHS fairing panel and the fuse is located next to two relays under the frame rail beneath the fuel tank.
Attached Images

Keep one wheel down!

If you can't fix it with a hammer you've got an electrical problem!

No MV's in the garage anymore
but I pop in here from time to time
. Come to think of it I don't have a garage since the old one burnt down!
But...Ö..a new one is currently rising from the ashes......watch this space!

Last edited by john; 05-24-2011 at 02:02 PM.
post #9 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-24-2011, 01:38 PM

Ha, you're funny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mv2envy View Post
post #10 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-24-2011, 10:49 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by john View Post
The main fuse is on the Left side (as you sit on the bike) not the right. Remove the LHS fairing panel and the fuse is located next to two relays under the frame rail beneath the fuel tank.
Checked that fuse- sill good. Found the one in the positive battery cable, but I can't read if it's a 7.5 fuse or a 75 fuse. Never heard of a 75 fuse...

Hopefully that's the one, but not sure if I've got the right replacement.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode