What determines break in? - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-10-2006, 12:56 AM Thread Starter

What determines break in?

Which is more of a factor: number of heat cycles or number of miles?

Reason I ask is because I rode my 999 500 miles with one heat cycle (LA to Phoenix). Alternatively, it's taken me a month to get 500 miles on my MV with about 60 heat cycles. Would the MV have broken in faster because of the more frequent heat cycles?

Also, lets say I pass the 600 mile break in and can bring it up to the 11,000 redline. Am I taking a big chance if I rev to 11,000 before the first service/oil change or will the filter take care of any issues?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-10-2006, 03:50 AM

Hi Allan,
You will no doubt get a hundred different opinions to this age old question....!
My thoughts would be the MV has had a better chance of being bedded in well and probably not been subject to binding, that is kept at a constant RPM or even worse a motor that was lagging in a too lower gear for the road speed.

If it were me I would not exceed the suggested rpm prior to the first oil change, and of course you can change oil/filter earlier than 600 miles
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-10-2006, 04:26 AM
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan Gibbs

Also, lets say I pass the 600 mile break in and can bring it up to the 11,000 redline. Am I taking a big chance if I rev to 11,000 before the first service/oil change or will the filter take care of any issues?
Hi Allan, the handbook does say don't exceed 11,000 rpm in the second phase as it were. This is not the red line however, as you know there isn't a red line as such on the tacho but the red warning light should come on at 12,200 rpm and the rev limiter at 12,700 rpm

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Keep one wheel down!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If you can't fix it with a hammer you've got an electrical problem!

No MV's in the garage anymore
but I pop in here from time to time
. Come to think of it I don't have a garage since the old one burnt down!
But.....a new one is currently rising from the ashes......watch this space!
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-10-2006, 09:55 AM

I thought someone said that all MVs are started up at the factory, and maybe oil changed after that?

If this is the case, break in is practically non existant.

I'm not 100% sure on what the heat cycling is for, but I'm guessing the rings?

Your bike is broken in after the first 50 miles these days. The nikasil cylinder coating and machining of parts is so good that it doesn't take long.

Most of the "magic" of break in from the old days really isn't a factor anymore. Rings and cams are really the biggest part. But it doesn't take long for those things to create their working surfaces since manufacturing and machining is so good.

'01 F4S
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-10-2006, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acruhl
I thought someone said that all MVs are started up at the factory, and maybe oil changed after that?

If this is the case, break in is practically non existant.

I'm not 100% sure on what the heat cycling is for, but I'm guessing the rings?

Your bike is broken in after the first 50 miles these days. The nikasil cylinder coating and machining of parts is so good that it doesn't take long.

Most of the "magic" of break in from the old days really isn't a factor anymore. Rings and cams are really the biggest part. But it doesn't take long for those things to create their working surfaces since manufacturing and machining is so good.
I think "break in" is more about tyres and brakes than engines these days, as Acruhl says 50 miles to harden the white metal bearings, bed the rings and cams, also to allow slower speeds just in case anything is wrong with the bike, and to break the rider into the machine gradually so he is more used to the power when he finally opens the throttle 100%
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-10-2006, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikef4uk
I think "break in" is more about tyres and brakes than engines these days, as Acruhl says 50 miles to harden the white metal bearings, bed the rings and cams, also to allow slower speeds just in case anything is wrong with the bike, and to break the rider into the machine gradually so he is more used to the power when he finally opens the throttle 100%
Heh, good point. I never thought about break in of the rider! The tires and brakes are a good point too. When I first got the MV, when the pads bedded in it was VERY obvious. I was stopping for a stop light and all the sudden it felt like the bike was on the nose! Heh.

I'm guessing "white metal" are the plain bearing inserts? That's the only thing I'm worried about during break in of my rebuilt Ducati right now... We got the clearance down to 16 ten-thousandths (.0016) on the rod bearings which is a little tighter than is recommended by some racers... We'll see...

'01 F4S
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-10-2006, 03:05 PM

Every MV motor is run for 20 minutes at high RPM in the factory, I have seen the photos of the set up, where the headers were glowing bright red!
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-10-2006, 04:22 PM
Established Member

Send a message via AIM to SOULRIDER Send a message via Yahoo to SOULRIDER
I have a hard time believing that the engines are not broken in at the factory since they come with synthetic oil right out of the factory.

How delicate are the engines though if they have a 1600 mile break-in period?
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-10-2006, 05:08 PM
Jason + Stanley Knife + D.I.Y = Casualty and

my
dealer told me i could run it in at no more than 11k for 600 miles then 1st service then ok to rev her all the way
as the bike is run in from the factory
altho i'm still a worrying fart and if it went bang how long would it take mv to reapir it under warrenty
just a thought
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-11-2006, 10:36 AM

I'm pretty sure there is no data logger to tell them what RPM you ran.

And honestly, anything after 50 miles or so, if it hasn't broken by then, then it was very likely assembled right. Anything after that and it's some defect probably. Not your fault.

Obviously, you can hurt an engine. But if you have even a little bit of sense, it should last a while. Things are built pretty well these days and there's no excuses to be fragile anymore, from anyone.

'01 F4S

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode