Question for Engine Tuning Guru's re: ECU/PCIII TPS - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-04-2011, 02:28 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

Question for Engine Tuning Guru's re: ECU/PCIII TPS

Didn't get any responses with this buried in another thread so I was hoping someone who has experience with this might chime in.

Update:

Did some more research, spoke with a few peeps and received my VDST. Here are some talking points:

Given my setup with race ecu and PCIII, resetting the TPS could/would screw up the PCIII fuel maps as they read off the TPS and the bike was tuned (right or wrong) to the current TPS setting.

I played with the air bleed screws some more and got the idle down to 1500rpm, any less than that didn't sound smooth. Next I plugged in the VDST and the TPS angle reads 5.6 degrees at idle. Now the info that came with the VDST says that the 5SM ECU should be 4.6-4.9 degrees. If you read the MV shop manual, it states 2.1-2.5 degrees. But neither of them take into account the PCIII.

So, the bike now idles at 1500rpm and I assume still pulls great and has nice on and off throttle response (as it did my last ride and all I have done is change the air bleeds). I am thinking even though the TPS is slightly high at 5.6 degrees but the bike performs so well I should leave things as is and enjoy it. I am thinking if I reset the TPS it could really screw things up and cost me more time and money having it retuned on the dyno.

Lastly, one of the tuners I spoke with who suggested closing the air bleeds a bit to bring the idle down said that would be moving toward a richer condition at idle which could also help keep it a bit cooler.

So thoughts from you guys on any of this? Thanks! Weather is looking up for this Sunday and I can't wait to take it for another rip.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-04-2011, 06:18 PM
lee

PC could care less about the TPS or ECU. It just modifies what's coming out of the ECU via it's mapping.

If it's running and performing well and you're satisfied then LEAVE IT THE F ALONE and enjoy it. Numbers are just that. Numbers. It's how it runs that matters. Screw the numbers.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-05-2011, 11:50 AM

New Site Garage
if the PCIII is mapped with 5.6 TPS you should only re-adjust the PCIII when it changes.
If you reset the TPS with VDST it will just tell the ECU that that voltage will correspond to 2.3 TPS.
If you change that the PCIII needs to be told that as well.

I think the ECU gives a rich mixture as result of the 5.6 TPS valuue and they might have corrected that with the PCIII. So it might be when you set TPS to 2.3 and correct the PCIII to that as well you might get a lean mixture or need to map the PCIII again.

So do not fix what is working.

4,5Mg~3Al~2Ti~Fe

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-05-2011, 12:16 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hb88xx View Post
if the PCIII is mapped with 5.6 TPS you should only re-adjust the PCIII when it changes.
If you reset the TPS with VDST it will just tell the ECU that that voltage will correspond to 2.3 TPS.
If you change that the PCIII needs to be told that as well.

I think the ECU gives a rich mixture as result of the 5.6 TPS valuue and they might have corrected that with the PCIII. So it might be when you set TPS to 2.3 and correct the PCIII to that as well you might get a lean mixture or need to map the PCIII again.

So do not fix what is working.
Thanks for the info! Sounds like if I reset TPS there will be some PCIII fiddling needed. Unfortunately, I have never played with a PC and don't know how to access it. Is that something I could do on my own or would I have to take it to a shop with a dyno?
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-05-2011, 12:16 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee View Post
PC could care less about the TPS or ECU. It just modifies what's coming out of the ECU via it's mapping.

If it's running and performing well and you're satisfied then LEAVE IT THE F ALONE and enjoy it. Numbers are just that. Numbers. It's how it runs that matters. Screw the numbers.
HA! I am leaning that way...
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-17-2012, 04:16 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

Update. Just in case anyone else is playing with their air bleed screws. Turns out that closing my bleed screws some to bring the idle down ended up give the bike stiff/jerky off-on throttle response. Prolly due to more vacuum on the throttle plates or some such as has been mentioned around here. Anywho, I just opened them back up a bit, the idle is back up to 1800-2000rpm but the off-on throttle response is like butter now. Soooo much nicer for getting back on the throttle early in a corner. So any of you with a snatchy off-on throttle might want to check those air bleed screws.

Jeffy
08 MV F4 312R
02 Duc 998
-Ride fast, ride safe, ride well

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode