Rattle & Hum - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-14-2011, 05:37 AM Thread Starter
Cyber SPOTTER

Question Rattle & Hum

I have an F4 1000s - Power commander III, no cat, modified pipes.

The bike is a noisy as all hell, which is fine because I like it like that.

Anyhow, on Tuesday and again today ( I am not entirely sure this is just not in my head) the bike sounds like it is vibrating on the right side - almost like a rattle. Kind of like the fairing is loose on the right (it isn't).

This only happens on the overrun as I am backing off in the lower gears 2 & 3 once it gets down to 3k revs and less - sound stops at idle - the bike accelerates perfectly, sounds perfect at idle. It is however running hotter than it normally does, in this type of weather (getting cooler now), which is strange.

All fluids are prefect, coolant, oil. I checked radiators etc nothing is loose. Valve clearances checked at 12K bike has 19K & due again until 24K. Couldn't be could it?

Anyone got any ideas?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MVA - Maserati Vespa
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Agusta
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-14-2011, 06:38 AM

check the nose cone isnt rubbing on the top of the head light, its where the nose cone is at its narrowest point, right at the bottom of the windshield. It took me ages to figure it out, but the symptons were the same as yours! when your riding along and you hear it, grap the windshield and move it, see if the sound stops/changes. If that is the problem, loosen the nose cone (two bolts on the inside) lift it slightly and tighten it again. job done.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-14-2011, 07:05 AM Thread Starter
Cyber SPOTTER

Hopefully it is as easy as that - that would be nice

Will try that Saturday morning (working tomorrow )!!

Thank you for the reply

MVA - Maserati Vespa
Agusta
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-14-2011, 07:37 AM

Also the mirrors will sometime make that noise, on the Brutale at least.

B750 and B1078 RR both gone now.

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."~Mark Twain
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-14-2011, 08:48 AM

Mine was rubbing on the headlight. Here is how I fixed it.

took off the lower and side fairings, loosened the bolts that hold the mirrors, repositioned the nose fairing, then tightened the bolts and reinstalled the fairings. Also, a little bit of clear grease on top of the headlight where it rubs for good measure.

Joe - mv2envy
AKA. MV Guy 12345

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-14-2011, 08:58 AM

Do you mean vaseline?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53H_zlsaI5Y

B750 and B1078 RR both gone now.

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."~Mark Twain
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-14-2011, 09:41 AM

Have a look at the exhaust pipes ~ too
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-02-2011, 03:37 AM Thread Starter
Cyber SPOTTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by MV05 EXY View Post
check the nose cone isnt rubbing on the top of the head light, its where the nose cone is at its narrowest point, right at the bottom of the windshield. It took me ages to figure it out, but the symptons were the same as yours! when your riding along and you hear it, grap the windshield and move it, see if the sound stops/changes. If that is the problem, loosen the nose cone (two bolts on the inside) lift it slightly and tighten it again. job done.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mv2envy View Post
Mine was rubbing on the headlight. Here is how I fixed it.

took off the lower and side fairings, loosened the bolts that hold the mirrors, repositioned the nose fairing, then tightened the bolts and reinstalled the fairings. Also, a little bit of clear grease on top of the headlight where it rubs for good measure.

Just to put this bed - FINALLY FINALLY sorted this out - following the above just didn't work by itself ALTHOUGH YOU WERE BOTH RIGHT! So a variation of this worked - I pulled the nose cone off / took the the stays off the cone, screwed those in (the problem was a slightly misalignment in that little guide hole at the end of the contacts, it is so slight that it did not prevent the blinkers from working.

The tell tale sign was that if you tightened those screws a little too much the blinkers stopped working.

I put those stays in place (you need two people to do this) & attached the nose cone to it. The rattle is gone & you can tighten the nose cone stay screws as tight as you like without affecting blinker operation.

Hope this helps someone else in future who may have this problem & thanks to all you guys for your replies & help This place is THE best

MVA - Maserati Vespa
Agusta
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-02-2011, 04:28 AM

they are a bugger those nose cone stays. i have no front indicators at all because they stays have both lost their little dimples on the bottom which locate them on to the plates. so annoying! i need to buy two new ones, i did replace both of these already but they are second hand and when i got them the dimples were already missing.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-02-2011, 04:37 AM
I put draught excluder around the headlamp itself so that when I refitted the nose cone it effectively sealed up the gaps.

Keep one wheel down!

If you can't fix it with a hammer you've got an electrical problem!

No MV's in the garage anymore
but I pop in here from time to time
. Come to think of it I don't have a garage since the old one burnt down!
But...Ö..a new one is currently rising from the ashes......watch this space!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode