miles per season, objets d'art, and not riding your bike - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-06-2006, 02:42 PM Thread Starter

miles per season, objets d'art, and not riding your bike

So, I've been looking through the registry and people's posts around here, and I'm left thinking that there are very few people who actually ride their bikes often. The registry might just never be updated, but there are a lot of bikes with less than 1000 miles.

I bought my bike a month or two ago with 12,000 miles on it, and I've already put 2000 more on it. And this is in NYC, where I can't really use it as a daily commuter. The point is, I'm pretty sure this bike is reliable, or it wouldn't have gotten this far.

So what happens to bikes that people buy as an objet d'art and put 1000 miles on over the course of 5 years? Are these bikes ever broken in properly? If you buy an "Art piece", will it be more prone to have problems since it never was really broken in?

Anyway, I'm going to Paris for three weeks on Sunday so my season is over at 2K miles. The bike is already in the garage.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-06-2006, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psperl
So what happens to bikes that people buy as an objet d'art and put 1000 miles on over the course of 5 years? Are these bikes ever broken in properly? If you buy an "Art piece", will it be more prone to have problems since it never was really broken in?
I've always wondered this with Ducs. For some reason, everyone that I know who rides their Duc hard has fewer problems than those who hardly ride their bikes.

My Duc has been thrashed on the track, beaten on the dyno, and I once ran a trackday with less than a quart of oil in the cases. Still, I've never had 1 mechanical issue. Nor an electrical gremlin that required me to put the bike in the shop.

So I would say yes. Healthy bikes are bikes that are ridden hard and serviced at the proper intervals.

2005 MV F4-1000S
post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-06-2006, 02:49 PM
Smile

I can't speak for anyone else but I've put about 2300 miles on my F4 since buying it in February this year.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Keep one wheel down!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If you can't fix it with a hammer you've got an electrical problem!

No MV's in the garage anymore
but I pop in here from time to time
. Come to think of it I don't have a garage since the old one burnt down!
But.....a new one is currently rising from the ashes......watch this space!
post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-06-2006, 02:54 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo329
and I once ran a trackday with less than a quart of oil in the cases.

WOW!!!!! I don't even know what to say about that. I blew up a porsche engine once because I was half a quart low!
post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-06-2006, 02:56 PM

I'll hit 10,000 miles by the end if the month, bought new in March.

And the season's just getting started here
post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-06-2006, 03:09 PM
Pimp of posts

Send a message via AIM to spalding12 Send a message via MSN to spalding12 Send a message via Yahoo to spalding12
1,100 miles on my BMW...2 weeks old
1,300 miles on the MV...7 weeks old

have been working a lot

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Greg
Clearwater, FL USA

'07 Brutale 910R
'07 BMW K1200GT

live like you mean it...
but take your family and friends along for the "ride"
post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-06-2006, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psperl
WOW!!!!! I don't even know what to say about that. I blew up a porsche engine once because I was half a quart low!
early 911 motor huh?
post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-06-2006, 03:47 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by style_one
early 911 motor huh?
I wish. It was a 924 Turbo that I bought for $1800 while I was in high school and nursed through 5 years of driving. The turbo started burning oil in the third year which caused the engine to drop a valve seat. I didn't think these things were related, but the mechanic said the extra heat and friction can cause a valve seat to drop. Lucky for me, my company paid for a new engine since I told them I was forced to quit and they couldn't find a replacement for me who would accept a high-school wage.
post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-06-2006, 04:35 PM

I use my bike almost every day to commute to work - nice canyon roads.

But I'll confess, I'm a bit reluctant to drive it to Phoenix next week and rack up 1,000 miles driving through (yawn) desert. I mean, that's like a waste of tires.

PS: I have no seasons. It's all year riding here.
post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-06-2006, 05:10 PM

I've been curious about this myself. How about a forum wide poll? Maybe start a new thread, or I can. I've though a bit about it and think total miles is probably best rather than miles per mo/year/decade/etc give the mix of new and old owners?

JamesC

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode