My rear brake stopped working... is this really acceptable? - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-04-2006, 10:28 AM Thread Starter

My rear brake stopped working... is this really acceptable?

Unsuprisingly, my rear brake stopped working after about 1500 miles. You guys seemed suprised that my brake worked at all when I mentioned it here once.

Anyway, I let the guy who got me into riding ride my 750 and he freaked out about the rear brake. Everyone here seems to have no problem without a rear brake, but the MSF course and a lot of other people say the rear brake is necessary for optimum braking. So, is it really ok to have a rear brake that does NOTHING at all?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-04-2006, 10:44 AM
Smile

I use the rear brake infrequently and I know many MV owners don't use it at all. The point is, if it's fitted it should be working. Infrequent use of braking components quite often result in the slider mechanism or the caliper pistons seizing. The only remedy is to strip the caliper to find out which component/s are locked up and get the whole assembly working again.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Keep one wheel down!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If you can't fix it with a hammer you've got an electrical problem!

No MV's in the garage anymore
but I pop in here from time to time
. Come to think of it I don't have a garage since the old one burnt down!
But...…..a new one is currently rising from the ashes......watch this space!
post #3 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-04-2006, 10:48 AM

Psperl are you already familiar with and have covered the stages in the FAQ entry?

http://mvfaq.blogspot.com/2005/09/re...elocation.html

JamesC

post #4 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-04-2006, 10:52 AM

For canyon/street riding I NEVER use the rear brake. So YES.

For wheelies I ALWAYS cover the rear brake and prepare myself to use it as necessary. So NO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by psperl
Unsuprisingly, my rear brake stopped working after about 1500 miles. You guys seemed suprised that my brake worked at all when I mentioned it here once.

Anyway, I let the guy who got me into riding ride my 750 and he freaked out about the rear brake. Everyone here seems to have no problem without a rear brake, but the MSF course and a lot of other people say the rear brake is necessary for optimum braking. So, is it really ok to have a rear brake that does NOTHING at all?

Bike History:
'88 Ninja 250 > '92 GSXR-600 > '01 YZF-R1 > '06 Brutale + '07 Customized VTX-1300
post #5 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-04-2006, 11:51 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesC
Psperl are you already familiar with and have covered the stages in the FAQ entry?

http://mvfaq.blogspot.com/2005/09/re...elocation.html

I bought the bike with 12000 miles and the rear brake worked, but not that great. Enough to lock the rear wheel.

In just 1500 miles it went from working to absolutely nothing. I just ignored it becuase I hear about how people's rear brake doesn't work all the time in these forums.

So, I haven't covered the stages in the FAQ entry. I will when I get the time, I just wanted to see if my brake is like everyone else's, as I suspected.

btw, you have a great site there.
post #6 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-04-2006, 11:56 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to Nevermore
It is not acceptable. Mine has completely stopped working as well and I will be working on it as soon as I do the next service in a couple of weeks. I'll let you know what I find. I am not sure that I want to relocate the reservoir, but I will if I must.

============
Chris - WSMC 515/WERA 511
05 R1
02 F4S
post #7 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-04-2006, 12:06 PM

i know alot of riders who race on the track and they disable the rear brake....i myself never use the rear brake even thought the MSF course and DMV book teaches otherwise. I think the DMV courses are really geared toward the cruisers and not toward sportbikes. There is a big difference between the two and I will be happy when the states begin to recognize that and change the way they instruct begining motorcyclists.
post #8 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-04-2006, 12:16 PM

It should be a very easy problem to trouble shoot and repair, there are only a select # of things that can cause that. I personally only use my rear brake in emergency or panic situations, the msf course if not intended to teach you to ride to the limits of tire adhesion, and MV Agusta's are happiest just there.

"Don't mistake kindness for flatulence, bitchez."

07 Brutale 910r

95 Buell S2 Thunderbolt
post #9 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-04-2006, 12:19 PM

I had the dealer adjust my break on my old 750 and it work very well.

I don't use with when I ride but do use it to keep the bike from rolling backwards at a stop. So, yeah, it does need to work or they would have added it. I think it's just an adjustment.
post #10 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-04-2006, 12:22 PM

Send a message via AIM to Matty
mine would go every 500 miles or so..i just stopped using it. I dont wheelie so there is really no need for one

Matty

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode