What do the upgraded brakes cost to be like the 07 - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-01-2006, 03:48 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

What do the upgraded brakes cost to be like the 07

I was at my dealer yesterday to see when he will have my new 1000R in and was kind of joking about what I could get an 06 for that he has left. He has 2 left in stock and he said he would really love to move them and said he would let them go for 18K plus tax and tags nothing else. It seems like a good deal being it seems like the 06 are going for 19K plus junk fees. My question is what do the upgraded brakes cost to bring it up to a 07 spec? It seems like that is the most improvement everyone is talking about am I wrong?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-01-2006, 04:13 PM

There are many more changes to the R than just the radial brembos and wheels, the MV site has a good listing, but my thoughts are that most of us would not be able to exploit the few extra HP on offer and really for my skill level the nissins are just fantastic anyway, I think for me the upgrade is more a visual package thing...
post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-01-2006, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cigarlvr
I was at my dealer yesterday to see when he will have my new 1000R in and was kind of joking about what I could get an 06 for that he has left. He has 2 left in stock and he said he would really love to move them and said he would let them go for 18K plus tax and tags nothing else. It seems like a good deal being it seems like the 06 are going for 19K plus junk fees. My question is what do the upgraded brakes cost to bring it up to a 07 spec? It seems like that is the most improvement everyone is talking about am I wrong?
$18K? Hmmm. Maybe I should have waited a month before I got mine. ...but then I'd probably would not have got $11K for the 999 on trade since the news of the replacement superbike is out?
post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-02-2006, 10:46 AM
Established Member

IIRC motowheels has a Brembo radial conversion for the 750/1000 for around $1200.

Not too bad IMO.
post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-02-2006, 11:27 AM
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by ten~39
IIRC motowheels has a Brembo radial conversion for the 750/1000 for around $1200.

Not too bad IMO.
That sounds like a hell of a good price: Emoto do the Brembo set up too:
http://www.emotouk.com/mvagusta/radialkits.htm

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Keep one wheel down!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If you can't fix it with a hammer you've got an electrical problem!

No MV's in the garage anymore
but I pop in here from time to time
. Come to think of it I don't have a garage since the old one burnt down!
But.....a new one is currently rising from the ashes......watch this space!
post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-02-2006, 11:35 AM
Pimp of posts

Send a message via AIM to spalding12 Send a message via MSN to spalding12 Send a message via Yahoo to spalding12
Quote:
Originally Posted by agusta01
There are many more changes to the R than just the radial brembos and wheels, the MV site has a good listing, but my thoughts are that most of us would not be able to exploit the few extra HP on offer and really for my skill level the nissins are just fantastic anyway, I think for me the upgrade is more a visual package thing...
getting better brakes is never a VISUAL thing
the brembos are much better than the nissins in every way
there is no comparison in the initial bite, lack of "sponginess," and overall progressive "feel" of the brembos.

folks spend tons of money making their bikes faster....
that's fine... but, i'd spend all the money you can afford to make your bike stop quicker first.... without question

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Greg
Clearwater, FL USA

'07 Brutale 910R
'07 BMW K1200GT

live like you mean it...
but take your family and friends along for the "ride"
post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-02-2006, 12:58 PM

not to be funny here, and speaking out of having experience with the nissins only....isn't what makes the bike stop quicker the rider? aren't "sponginess" and "feel" subjective statements. that doesn't make them false, but they are relevant to the rider. my point...if an S and R model were going down the street at 80mph and both slammed on the brakes, both sets of brakes would send the bikes into a stoppie/endo at some point. so they makes them both strong. so the one who endos first has got better brakes? it's hard for me to believe one would make the bike stop faster excluding rider input or lack of desire to flip over. now brake fade is another thing, but don't pads make the difference there. sure brembo set ups are smaller calipers and are supposed to be able to use smaller rotors making unsprung weight less, but superior stopping power? to what degree...fractions??

again, i'm speaking somewhat out of ignorance not bias. i'm not making a case for one over the other. i think radial brakes make sense in some aspect to every manufacturer in racing. i would also believe MV would consider the component shift an "upgrade" or they wouldn't have done it (excluding executive money decisions i am not aware of). but stopping quicker for the average street rider comes down to how hard you squeeze the lever. bite can be adjusted in pads/rotors. the nissins are 6 POT! that's alot of brakes. however, i do understand it comes down to each individual rider and their confidence. some feel more in sync with progressive "sponginess", some like to feel their eyeballs pop out with one finger, some people's confidence gets shaken with grabby brakes. in the end, isn't your tire traction going to be the final determiner of when you stop...no matter HOW better the brakes are?

just my
post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-02-2006, 01:53 PM

Well, in mho along with my two pennies, I think this issue is very similar to the mirror issue? I.E. we complain why we cannot see our rear while sitting "upright" enjoying the surronding views on a race bike designed to be ridden in a full tuck...??? Well, if you are in a full tuck, then you can clearly see behind ya! ...where as the rabbit ears on the Japanese bikes give you a nice view of the clouds while in full tuck!!!

Ok, not to digress here! Again keep in mind that these bikes are race bikes; and while riding a race bike trail braking is very, very important to your cornering and lap time. A soft progressive brake improves and boosts your confidence during trail braking. As much as I love my Duc on the track, I still struggle with it when it comes to trail braking...mind you, I only use "one" finger, and it still wants to bring me to a near stoppie if applied a bit too hard. As it is on the MV (although I don't track it), the MV brakes would be a very welcome experience on the track.

So, bottom line there'll always be issues with those utilizing race bikes strictly for street use.

....shay hullo to my lille friend

Last edited by kamranmarashi; 10-02-2006 at 02:03 PM.
post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-02-2006, 01:58 PM
Established Member

UPDATE:

Looks the Motowheels has these conversions priced at ~$1400 for the Showa kits, and ~$1600 for the Marzocchi kits. My memory was a little low on the $$'s.

Not bad at all when you consider the crazy amount of machining needed for the billet fork lowers.
post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-02-2006, 02:04 PM

Didn't they increase the rotor 10mm with the R as well?

Don't forget the R wheels are a premium as well.

Jack

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode