Rear Shock adjustment on Tambo/Senna? - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-24-2006, 11:38 PM Thread Starter

Rear Shock adjustment on Tambo/Senna?

I started trying to tweak the Sachs shock adjusters on the Senna today.

I love the Race Bike feel, but was trying to get the Ohlins like compliance on rough pavement....

I finally got the cajones to give it a lash! No big whup but I went 2 clicks down on high speed compression, from 4 to 2.

Really interesting! I think it might to good, but it's too soon to tell...

ANYONE HERE ACTUALLY GOT A HANDLE ON TAMBO/SENNA SUSPENSION??

I think this suspension might have huge potential!

Kevin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-25-2006, 01:00 AM

New Site Garage
Is there something in the manual about it?
Or does MV leave customers in the dark?

4,5Mg~3Al~2Ti~Fe

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-25-2006, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hb88xx
Is there something in the manual about it?
Or does MV leave customers in the dark?
Their manual does have an insert on tuning that shock but I can't imagine a 4 way is the simplest thing to understand.

JamesC

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-25-2006, 09:12 PM

K--

Its a "work in progress". Actually had Mr Ferracci do it personally when i was in for 600mi service recently...apparently mine came from the factory dialed in at the stiffest settings all around. He backed it off two clicks and then another. also adjusted the fronts.
Its great now, but i think i still wanna try tweaking it some more...just havent had the time.
The manual insert is shit. I needed a personal, guided walk thru to understand it....

Quote:
Originally Posted by khfx
I started trying to tweak the Sachs shock adjusters on the Senna today.

I love the Race Bike feel, but was trying to get the Ohlins like compliance on rough pavement....

I finally got the cajones to give it a lash! No big whup but I went 2 clicks down on high speed compression, from 4 to 2.

Really interesting! I think it might to good, but it's too soon to tell...

ANYONE HERE ACTUALLY GOT A HANDLE ON TAMBO/SENNA SUSPENSION??

I think this suspension might have huge potential!

Kevin
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-25-2006, 10:29 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the feedback Manhattan. That's really interesting about your factory settings. I also felt that mine was setup super-stiff, but without guidance was reluctant to tweak.

After dialing down the hi-speed bump 2 clicks I rode it hard and ran it wide on a left-hander! Scared the daylights outta myself. I thought it was the shock adjustment, but finally realized it was just my shitty riding ability!

The suspension is much more compliant and the encouraging thing is how quantifiable the small incremental tweak was. The shock really responded to a small adjustment.

I now intend to drop the compression dampening on the fork to try and balance it out. I think I may come back up one click on the rear.

Incidentally, what tire pressures are you running on the stock tires?

When I checked my rear was over 40psi from the factory. I'm running 32/34 both front and rear.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-26-2006, 08:59 AM

im running the same tire pressures as you. Interesting what u say about running wide after you softened the shocks...you definitely have to adjust your riding style until you are certain about what you have changed. I find now that the bike seems to "fall in" much easier, especially on downhills, so be careful. I really think that for the price we paid, there should be some guidance on this shit....its too important a feature to be left for you to figure out on your own.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-26-2006, 11:08 AM

Just my .02 on this thread. I recently attended a suspension clinic here in Ca with an extremely talented suspension guru. Before you start turning all the compression and dampening screws, etc. You need to set the sag first. Turning a bunch of screws with an improper sag is not only pointless it may even may make matters worse. After setting the sag, the next step is to set the dampening settings (make sure front matches the rear in feel). Finally, set your compression settings to your likeness.
When I got my '05 F4, my settings were so stiff that it felt like riding on a cobblestone raod. I have since set all my suspension after this clinic I attended, and man what a difference. It's a great relief to know what your suspension is capable of doing, especially in a turn.

Good luck
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-26-2006, 11:17 AM Thread Starter

Thanks F4, that's a valid point. I should have mentioned that the sag has been set correctly.

Manhattan, I agree! How great an asset is this forum..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode