MV 1000 Height photo thread - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-21-2006, 06:56 PM Thread Starter

MV 1000 Height photo thread

Hi all -

I've been combing the site for info re: rider height and F4 1000s. I've read several threads, but have also tried to find some photos of riders mounted on their MV to assess my "reachability" concerns and get a real world perspective. There are a few, but not many photos. JSM has some good ones but he looks to be rather tall (6'+). Obviously the best thing to do is sit on one myself, but with my schedule, that isn't practicable at the moment. I also dont want to go into an MV store for fear of self control issues.

So, I am wondering if some of you 1000 owners here would be willing to have someone snap some pics of you mounted on your bike at a standstill, feet down, and post them to this thread...include your height - particulary the sub 5'10" (178cm) riders. (Alan Gibb!?)

Exemplary post:

5'8"
<photo>

I hope as many of you will participate as possible. Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-21-2006, 07:25 PM

Send a message via AIM to MVASyd
I haven't got a photo, but I am 5'5'' in shoes!. I lowered my F41000 (simply by turning the ride height adjuster) so that the raer of the bike was lower by 1/2". I did thid mainly to get more drive out of slow corners. I don't seem to have any problem with touching ground, although I do tend to put one foot down and lean it. All pretty simple. The pegs are adjustable, so i adjusted those down a bit as there is still heaps of ground clearnce. The great thing about these machines is the adjustability.
On my Brutale I have no such issues, and actually raised the ride height by 10mm to get more weight over the front end.
I hope this helps.

MVA Sydney
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-21-2006, 08:27 PM
MV1

I quess you make do for the ones you love , but in all seriousness the F4 isn't the smallest or shortest of bikes out there. I mean I'm 6'1'' and it's definitely not short on me.
post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-21-2006, 09:05 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Greg, Paul. I am 5'7" natural, or 5'8-5'9 with boots on. Due to a birth problem, my right leg is very weak and basically unusable to support a bike that leans to the right, so I have to be able to stop and reach with my left foot. I managed on Ninja quite well (seat height 30.7") for many thousands of highway and city commuting miles, but 31.87 is another story. Maybe can lower to 31.5ish?

Due to my birth problem, I also have another issue. I've had several surgeries on my leg and foot, and my right ankle is essentially fused, so i cannot dorsi or plantarflex (thats the "gas pedal" motion of one's ankle). Therefore, as somewhat of a "squid," to use the rear brake I've always had to move my foot slightly forward and press the footpeg with my heal. Not optimal, certainly not Rossi, but it has worked so far. I'll have to mount an F4 and see not only if I can reach ground with left leg, but also if I'll be able to move rt foot forward and depress the brake peg with heal. I cant tell from the photos if the peg is inset so far that this would not be possible, although a fairly easy workaround would be a "squid" peg (LOL) that juts out a bit further.

As Paul said, you make do sometimes to make things work. Never had problems on the Kawi or dirtbikes.

And since I've admitted to being a squid, you wanna hear a MAJOR squid moment? Rode my Kawi home one day, was exhausted from work, annoyed, irritated, HOT (Houston commuting in gear), and thus distracted. I pulled into my short driveway, shut her down, dismounted waiting to release helmet and get some air. Started to remove helmet and 4-5 secs later heard that dreadful *CRASH*. I turned and looked, my poor Kawi was on its right side. I had dismounted and stepped away, forgetting entirely to put down the sidestand. And of to add icing to the cake, there was a minivan at the end of my driveway full of people gawking. Aaargh!

Greg, if you have a photo that would be great! Happy weekend all!
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-21-2006, 09:10 PM

I'm 5' 7" with a 30 inch inseam. The seat is a bit tall...but manageable. I haven't tried the height adjustment...but I will now based on Greg's post

08 BMW HP2 Sport
10 MV 1090RR
86 BMW R80 G/S
47 Indian Chief
73 Norton Commando Cafe Racer
70 BMW R50/5
70 Triumph T100C
68 BMW R60/2
80 Vespa PX 125
Derringer Indian Board Track Replica
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-21-2006, 09:23 PM

I'm 5'8", and when I first bought the bike I thought it was too tall. After 850 miles, the bike feels much "shorter" to me. It took some time for me to adjust to the ergos of the bike, but it now feels much more comfortable. I was at Pro Italia today, and I asked if there was any "settling" of the suspension over time, as it feels much shorter to me than the day I first rode it home. I can't be sure if there was any settling of the suspension or if it is just me getting used to it -- and they couldn't tell me either.

They did tell me that some riders have actually swapped out the adjustable ride-height link for a link from the 750. Apparently it is a bit shorter and will lower the bike further if you can't lower it enough with the adjustment from the standard link.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-21-2006, 09:31 PM Thread Starter

GRand, yes I searched the threads and found the 750 link that some have swapped out to reduce height. For an average rider, would such a swap have any performance or safety sequelae?

You know, now that you mention it, over time my Kawi felt shorter too (not that it was very tall). I wonder if it wasnt just my familiarity and comfort with the bike over time - it got to the point that it fit my like a glove, and I knew every nuance of it (strange sounds, vibrations, etc.). I bet your F4 hasnt sagged at all.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-22-2006, 02:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRand
I'm 5'8", and when I first bought the bike I thought it was too tall. After 850 miles, the bike feels much "shorter" to me. It took some time for me to adjust to the ergos of the bike, but it now feels much more comfortable. I was at Pro Italia today, and I asked if there was any "settling" of the suspension over time, as it feels much shorter to me than the day I first rode it home. I can't be sure if there was any settling of the suspension or if it is just me getting used to it -- and they couldn't tell me either.

They did tell me that some riders have actually swapped out the adjustable ride-height link for a link from the 750. Apparently it is a bit shorter and will lower the bike further if you can't lower it enough with the adjustment from the standard link.
I think its only the middle part that is different, I bought the genuine MVSP rear hugger and that came with a new middle part (the hexagonal part) for fitment to early bikes to get the height to fit the hugger, it just has a longer threaded portion so I doubt it would make the bike any lower, don't forget you also need to lower the front a little as well to keep the bikes basic geometry, I slid the forks through the yokes about 8mm
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-22-2006, 04:30 AM

Hey Obmot,

'ONE' of my Major Idiot Biking Moments...... and this is from a guy that broke his neck in two places (C6 and C7).

... was riding a Yamaha DT175 when I was 17yrs old.

Was chatting to the Hot chick in school, kickstarted the bike, flipped her a slick raised eyebrow...(too cool for school thought I),- went to put my right leg down and promptly fell over.......

The kick-start lever had gone up the leg of my jeans, thereby preventing my right foot from touching the ground.......

It's only 20-something years later and I'm still thinking about!

Last edited by khfx; 09-22-2006 at 04:48 AM. Reason: line missing
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-22-2006, 04:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVorBMW
I'm 5' 7" with a 30 inch inseam. The seat is a bit tall...but manageable. I haven't tried the height adjustment...but I will now based on Greg's post
boys, just be careful when lowering the ride height using the rear adjuster...you are only lowering the rear, and changing the geometry of the bike...big time.
By lowering the rear, you're slowing up the steering and making the bike harder to turn in.
Lowering the ass of the MV is a compromise.

I'm short too, but I raised mine 4mm to get it to turn slighly quicker.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode