Just got back from road trip. - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-11-2006, 03:29 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via Yahoo to ddnuts
Just got back from road trip.

Hey all, I just got back home from a serious road trip. I'm very tired so forgive me if I leave a lot of details out. Ask me questions if you'd like. After about 15 or so years I went to the Bonneville Salt Flats and got Salt fever. The first day I just watched the bikes fly down the salt track. The second day I was talked into riding my bike on the short (5 mile) course. I can't tell you how much fun I had and all of the cool people that I met. There were so many different walks of life, yet we all had motorcycling in common. There were many world records broken and I got to witness most of them. The people there were so much fun and everyone had a story. To make a really long story short, I signed up and pulled the MV up to the line and waited for my turn to fly. While in line many people asked questions about the bike and how fast I wanted to run. I just wanted to go. At the time I wasn't really thinking about a mph. I was interviewed by the Speed Channel briefly, then followed around by National Geographic, they were doing a documentary. Too cool.
Everyone was so nice to me, which made it super fun for a rookie. My first run was an indicated 178 mph, which equated to an official speed of 170.8 in the measured mile. The weather was really hot and the salt was the best it's ever been, according to the old timers there. I was happy with the speed, but I know now that I could have gone faster, but it was so much fun. Actually it is the most fun you can have with your clothes on...and I've done many things with my clothes on. Trust me on that one.
My second run I took off my mirrors and pucks hoping to better my mph. Now I was feeling all fast and stealthy. The camera crew from Nat. Geo asked me if I would wear a helmet cam to record my second run. With all of their gear I was about as aerodymanic as a brick. With the temps approaching the mid 90's I still managed to run a 170.475 mph (still indicating 178 mph). I was happy with that, it's the fastest I've ever been. Next year I will be faster...I promise.
I fell in love with riding on the track after one track day, so adding this is all the more reason to get another bike and ride more. Anyone who loves motorcycling should get out to this event to either watch or participate. Too much fun. There were literally all kinds of bikes there. I also got to watch the Biker Build off. Pretty cool stuff.
I left Utah and headed to Wyoming (beautiful country). While there I was on Hwy 189 and it was beautifully paved and abandoned. It was asking for me to ride as fast as the MV would take me. So...I did. I got up to an idicated 175 and climbing before I approached a slight turn. Slowed way down as to not take any chances. Man, I love my bike.

Check my photo album for pics of the road trip.

Personality is what you show of yourself daily.

Character is what comes out under adversity. (Think about that)

Last edited by ddnuts; 03-11-2008 at 01:49 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-11-2006, 03:34 PM
lk

That sounds like sooo much fun.. congrats on that.. wish i was there. In fact.. next time.. i would love to meet you there and join in.. no joke. Let me know when you know and i'll plan for it.

Last edited by lk; 09-11-2006 at 03:39 PM.
post #3 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-11-2006, 03:37 PM
Established Member

Now that is awsome!!!

You've done what most people read or dream about. I've always wanted to go there and now you've lit a fire under my ass to do so.
post #4 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-11-2006, 03:50 PM

Amazing pictures, glad you're home sound and safe. Sounds like the good times made up for all the hard times you had with the bike...history by now!

Now, let's talk about these:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddnuts
Actually it is the most fun you can have with your clothes on...and I've done many things with my clothes on. Trust me on that one.
...and keep the ones with your clothes on to yourself. I'm interested in the other ones, and oh... pictures too please!!!

....shay hullo to my lille friend
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by kamranmarashi; 09-11-2006 at 04:40 PM.
post #5 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-11-2006, 03:58 PM

wow...i guess 170mph validates those BST's huh? sounds like fun...which you sure seem to have alot of. i'm inspired to have some fun today...well, when i get off the computer.
post #6 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-11-2006, 04:00 PM

U D'man!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #7 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-11-2006, 04:38 PM

Nice pictures and write up, thank-you. Do you have to do anything to get the salt off the bike?
post #8 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-11-2006, 04:45 PM

SWEET!

I guess we know the top speed for a 1000, 170!

Great pics, I've told myself this for years...but I need to get out there during a race!
post #9 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-11-2006, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddnuts
ohhh such a beautiful pic........... wow.

congrats on a great adventure and writeup and pictures!

Robert
post #10 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-11-2006, 05:04 PM

This is a dumb question but I have to ask. Is the salt slippery? I mean if you make a slow speed u turn, is there a tendency to a motorcycle to slip? I mean, I just can't imagine doing that kind of speed on what looks like gravel. Pardon my ignorance, I've only seen pictures and never been there....but I have ridden on gravel!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode