looking for suggestion re: rear hub, lowering - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-20-2010, 08:25 AM Thread Starter
FTA
Established Member

looking for suggestion re: rear hub, lowering

Hello all. I have owned a 2000 F4S many years ago and recently won a 2002 F4S on eBay. It is being shipped and should arrive sometime next week. I'm looking forward to it with great anticipation, though the weather in Philly has been quite oppressive lately.

The bike has 5,600 miles and had new tires installed last year at 4,995 miles. I plan to take the bike to Ferracci to have it lowered as much as possible since I have a 30" inseam and am 5'-5". My first question is what do members think Eraldo is going to charge me to have the front and back lowered as much as possible without having to alter the rear linkage. I mean, it has to be done, but I'm just curious. Also, I guess does anyone out there think it might be worth it to have the linkage shortened (I read here that is possible) so that I could (hopefully) "flat foot" on it.

Secondly, I never had any problems with my old 2000 but only had it for about 3,000 miles as I recall (it was way back in 2003). I've been reading a lot lately about the rear hub bearing and premature wear if the axle nut wasn't torqued properly. I'm guessing while its at Ferracci I should have the rear nut checked / re-torqued. Is that a good idea? Is that all I should have done?

Finally, any other suggestions for things to have checked, such as recalls to be investigated while I'm there? The previous owner told me the dealer in Charlotte, NC replaced some fuel connectors last year -- a swap for plastic fittings with metal ones as he told me.

Thanks very much,
Frank
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-20-2010, 08:42 AM

Hello,
Congrats on the new machine !

I have to suggest you DO get the rear hub serviced...As you may have just recently read Rob's
failed @ less than 10000km's and left him stranded...

The rest, I prob cant help, I bought a new one(old stock) so have not had any dramas aside from
the well documented overheating and flickering taco...

Enjoy that machine !

Cheers
Matt

Currently : mv1000f4 312r, Ducati 750ss (95),and previously...gsxr600 k1, yzf1000r, ducati 900ss, ducati 600m, yzf750r, cbr600f, xt600, gpz900r, nsr250sp, kr1,
cagiva mito 125 (lawson replica), rg250, z250, cb350 (Four)...and counting...
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-20-2010, 12:38 PM
CAG

Send a message via Skype™ to CAG
The 2000 and 2002 use the same ride height, unless someone has adjusted it.

There are pages and pages of information on ride height, setting it, sag etc.

I'm in a similar position as you with the short inseam. I have messed around with ride height quite a bit. My advice to you would be to shift your butt on the seat a bit so you can put one foot flat on the ground.

Having Ferracci lower the front and rear a corresponding amount is fine. Once you go beyond those parameters, you are asking for trouble.
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-20-2010, 03:27 PM
Established Member

New Site Garage
I've only got a 29" inside leg and I have never had a problem and the bikes standard.
I think your problem is similar to the one I have with my arms. Over the years they seem to have got shorter and I have to press my belly harder against the tank to reach the bars.
Maybe you just got big B***s you need a couple of girlfriends or you should do more of thisLOL
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-20-2010, 03:37 PM

I have a 30" inseam and I have no problems riding my 2001 F4S. You'll be fine

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Take off your pants and jacket

01 750S W/1000R engine
01 Ducati 748 W/853 kit
03 Yamaha R1 (SOLD)
01 Kawasaki KX 125
88 Yamaha YSR 50
01 Yamaha R6
03 Suzuki DRZ pitbike
1982 Honda 110 atc
Yamaha PW50
1978 Honda 90 atc
2011 Yamaha Grizzly 700
2008 Yamaha Raptor 660
1975 Kawasaki G5 100
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-21-2010, 11:09 AM

I didn't changed the height on my F4S and I'm quite comfortable with my less than 30" inseam. However I rode a 2010 F4 last weekend and this is quite high. Surprise, surprise the 1078 (Standard) I rode later was even higher and I could only tip toeing on it.
Ahh, by the way ask Ferracci if he has some clamps left to raise the handle bars.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode