Overtightened Rear Wheel nut! - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-19-2010, 05:35 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

Overtightened Rear Wheel nut!

Hi Guys, got a bit of a problem. Basically my torque wrench doesn't click on reverse thread so I tightened it and took it to a car workshop who said they had a wrench and would tighten it up for me (two miniute job). To cut the story short he didn't check if it was clicking the correct way with the result it's been way over tightened and wont now come off. We've broken two aluminium 'special' tools. one with a 4 foot scaffold pole on a breaker bar and one with a commercial air rattle gun.

I know that there is a taper to ensure a tight fit but I now think it needs a steel socket for the gun to work effectively, can anybody tell me the size I need and anybody have any suggestions.....Is the nut titanium?

Gazz 1000R
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-19-2010, 05:39 PM

The nut is hard anodized aluminum, and you need to grease the first few threads so this doesnt happen again. I use a impact wrench to take mine off. But here is a link to where you can get a steel tool you need that wont brake http://www.mvagusta.net/forum/showthread.php?t=32529

Joe - mv2envy
AKA. MV Guy 12345
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-19-2010, 05:41 PM

You know its a left hand thread, right !!! And no , wheel nut is not titanium unless aftermarked . Try to heat it up a little. Use air impact wrench . (loosen it up - clockwise) tighten - counterclockwise !!!

Last edited by Nicolino; 07-19-2010 at 05:43 PM.
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-19-2010, 05:52 PM

Mine takes over a minuet with the air tool just tapping along till it suddenly just gets loose.

B750 and B1078 RR both gone now.

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."~Mark Twain
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-19-2010, 06:05 PM
CAG

Send a message via Skype™ to CAG
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdamb View Post
Mine takes over a minuet with the air tool just tapping along till it suddenly just gets loose.
A minuet? Do you have to sing to it too?
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-19-2010, 06:06 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to theknurl
Thumbs up

Gazz;

1st get a 12" extension for the torque wrench.....and torque it from the left side.....it works, it reverses the motions

with a propane torch heat just the nut....as long as you can touch it, you won't hurt it....then use the air wrench on it

before you remount the nut, coat the threads with Never-Seize or CoppaSlip

then it won't stick

Noel-theknurl

Noel-theknurl

The Forum Curmudgeon
I'm not PC either

'08 910R
'05 F4
ph. 310-414-7247 PST, GMT -8
PayPal;

Skype; theknurl
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-19-2010, 06:09 PM

The reason it stick is because its hard anodized, hence the slight greenish color of the nut. If any of you have handled a clear hard anodized piece you know what Im talking about, it feel like there is adhesive all over it.

Joe - mv2envy
AKA. MV Guy 12345

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-20-2010, 07:06 AM Thread Starter
Established Member

Thanks for the info, I've contacted Motowheels to ask about shipping to the UK, hopefully they will ship it. I'll heat the nut up just before the gun is put on it. I know it's reverse thread and I'll put a little more grease on the thread next time.

Just seemed a little odd to me that it was over tightened using a torque wrench about 2.5 ft long then a couple of mins later couldn't be removed with a breaker bar and a 4ft scaffold pole!

Gazz
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-20-2010, 07:38 AM

New Site Garage
Smile Also

I used a 55mm socket, multi-point not Hex, Noel is right about heating the nut and then I just sprayed the inside with some Freeze spray and also the rim, bang she came off without much effort. Messed the nut up a bit but I was not too bothered as I take it off 10 times a month, will buy a Ti one when the bike goes back on the road.

Dons Nel
Own - Two F4 1000R's 06 and 07.
PayPal :

eMial:

Mobile in Australia: 0438 385 776
Website with MV Manuals for Most models -
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-20-2010, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAG View Post
A minuet? Do you have to sing to it too?
Heh heh ....nice one

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode