Waterslide transfers - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-19-2010, 04:26 PM Thread Starter

Waterslide transfers

People,

fella at work has a 2008 Honda Blade ()!!!!!. Due to perhaps some overheating an OE transfer has become detached from the plastic fairing slightly at one corner. It is a peeling back or around 2cm x 2cm of transfer.

Anybody got any ideas of a glue that is available in the UK that can be used to re-adhere OE type transfers.

I would have thought we would want a slow setting glue, that does not attack transfers and is very thin (so does not show though the transfer). Almost like a non agressive, slow drying superglue.

There is some light dust and very light grit that has attached itself to the glue side of the transfer (from use since it happened) so some tips on how to remove this first would also be appreicated.

Cheers guys

Sub

When my Dad and I first laid our eyes on an MV Agusta at the UK launch, we were simply blown away.................
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-19-2010, 04:54 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to theknurl
i'd try cleaning it with lacquer thinner.....test it on a small area 1st
if you can get all the adhesive off then i'd use super glue use the edge of a polyethylene spatula to flatten the transfer out, wipe away any extra glue rapidly

Noel-theknurl

Noel-theknurl

The Forum Curmudgeon
I'm not PC either
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R
'05 F4
ph. 310-414-7247 PST, GMT -8
PayPal;
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Skype; theknurl
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-19-2010, 04:58 PM

This is the type of situation when you want to practice on something else first. Any one that will let them play with the transfer of a scratched up dirt bike or something like that.

B750 and B1078 RR both gone now.

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."~Mark Twain
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-19-2010, 05:00 PM Thread Starter

Im concerned about Superglue as it:-

1. Dries ultra rapid.
2. Is unforgiving when excesses amount is applied.

Sorry knurl, but do you have any ideas on a slower setting and more user friendly adhesive

When my Dad and I first laid our eyes on an MV Agusta at the UK launch, we were simply blown away.................
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-19-2010, 05:11 PM

Rubbing alcohol will remove the grit stuck on the glue side of the decal. Sorry but I cant even begin to imagine what glue will work to put it back on though.

Joe - mv2envy
AKA. MV Guy 12345

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-19-2010, 05:20 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to theknurl
model airplane glue? its slower...and only slightly tinted

i still think i'd go with super glue... a fraction of a drop spread with a pin or needle then wipe it down with a polyethylene spatula

i tinted windows with film for years

Noel-theknurl

Noel-theknurl

The Forum Curmudgeon
I'm not PC either

'08 910R
'05 F4
ph. 310-414-7247 PST, GMT -8
PayPal;

Skype; theknurl
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-19-2010, 05:33 PM Thread Starter

yes, thats it, applied with a needle, I would agree. cheers

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-19-2010, 05:38 PM

There exist some additives to super-type glues that slow their setting. I've seen them in wood working catalogues (that's what I do when I'm not on the bike or making margaritas for a living). Check out Highland Hardware, or WoodWorkers Supply . They are probably available for other applications as well... (Oh right, in the UK- I'm sure there are equivalent woodworking suppliers over there)
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-19-2010, 07:30 PM

If you're going to use superglue, go to an actual hobby shop (or online hobby shop for things like model planes) and buy good quality "medium" or "thick" cyanoacrylic (CA) glue - don't use the supermarket version - it's shit.

Medium takes 2-3 minutes to setup, thick takes quite a while. You will also want to buy remover - I think it's acetone but they'll have it with the glue. Squeegy it on in a thin coat with a piece of plastic cut from a milk carton. You can put some of the remover on a paper towel and if you get a little overflow, just let it start to setup a bit and wipe it off with the remover.

Wear some type of glasses to protect your eyes and avoid inhaling the fumes from the glue (it's a strong acid smoke). The stuff gets warm when it's curing, but if your fingers feel like they're burning you have likely got some on your hand.

edit - they also have a spray that causes the glue to setup instantly, I would not recommend it for that tho

- looks like you have a few shops around - Google of hobby shops near Gerrards Cross

------------------------------
The journey is the reward
Brutale 1090, Tiger 1050, Bonneville SE

Last edited by jeffk; 07-19-2010 at 07:47 PM.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-20-2010, 01:02 PM Thread Starter

thanks guys thats excellent

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode