Rear Hub - Dodged a bullet - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-15-2010, 05:23 AM Thread Starter

Rear Hub - Dodged a bullet

Today was meant to be the PCIII dyno setup day for the F4 750. On the 2nd run Scott noticed a slight movement in the rear wheel...

Yep the bloody hub bearings were collapsing.

Lucky in a way as a quick strip down showed no damage (not that I can see anyway) apart from the double row angular contact ball bearing.

No wonder these fail, the size of the ball bearings themselves is stupidly small. I've seen bigger bearings in kids toys!

Now to decide, do an exchange with Moto Arena on the Gold Coast for $700ish. Take my hub to Prestige Motorcycles in Brisbane who will machine out the hub and fit bigger bearings for $400, or track down the bearings and fit them myself $250ish.

The more money the quicker the fix. Do I want the MV off the road for a week while I wait for bearings or just pay up and do an exchange?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-15-2010, 05:45 AM

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfatty View Post
Today was meant to be the PCIII dyno setup day for the F4 750. On the 2nd run Scott noticed a slight movement in the rear wheel...

Lucky in a way as a quick strip down showed no damage (not that I can see anyway) apart from the double row angular contact ball bearing.

No wonder these fail, the size of the ball bearings themselves is stupidly small. I've seen bigger bearings in kids toys!

Now to decide, do an exchange with Moto Arena on the Gold Coast for $700ish. Take my hub to Prestige Motorcycles in Brisbane who will machine out the hub and fit bigger bearings for $400, or track down the bearings and fit them myself $250ish.

The more money the quicker the fix. Do I want the MV off the road for a week while I wait for bearings or just pay up and do an exchange?
Take the - slightly - more expensive route. It's quicker and better in the long run. Keep the hub well maintained. That prevents problems.

Nulla tenaci invia est via
post #3 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-15-2010, 06:13 AM

Rear hub bearings

Hi... I had rear hub bearing replaced (under warranty, thankfully) last year. I was told at the time it failed due to over tightening (by selling dealer). Haven't had any problems since... But I was horrified at the size of the bearings when I seen them..... So I can see why your thinking of re-engineering the hub. Only question I would ask is why do MV Agusta use the smaller bearings, are there good reasons...?
post #4 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-15-2010, 06:57 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to ErikV
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfatty View Post

I'd go for the extra week. I did so with my previous MV. Drove that one in the rain for 1400 km straight from France back home and put the bike in the garage. It seems these bearings don't like water either. They rusted so the next drive they collapsed.

MV Agusta F4 2010 black / Aprilia RS250 / Ducati Panigale V4S.
post #5 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-15-2010, 08:55 AM

here they are, a friend owns CBR Bearings, he made a deal for the forum

the # 3810-2RS-C3 ball bearing....$34 you need 1
the # 5520 needle bearings.... $19 you need 1
the seals.... $6 you need 2

BEFORE you order the needle bearing and the 2 seals, make sure you need them

the big fuel pump housing o-ring.... $3

Motion Industries wanted $92 for the ball bearing! they are a ripoff

CBR Bearings

800-769-5388, stateside, ships world wide

THats been posted from the knurl.

Not $250 ish about 70 ish

Why spend ridiculous amounts of money when you dont have to. my 2 cents anyway

Last edited by spypyp; 07-15-2010 at 08:57 AM.
post #6 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-15-2010, 06:24 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeF4Black View Post
Keep the hub well maintained. That prevents problems.
I always have, but I can't speak for the previous owner.
post #7 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-15-2010, 08:27 PM
Established Member

Mate, wouldn't machine the hub to fit bigger bearings. Mine failed a few years back, ordered the bearings locally and re-fitted them at a fraction of the cost. I now replace them every 10000km, that's about 2 years riding for me. Cost me about $300 including fitting. Trust me, mine collapsed while riding, not a nice experience, so $300 every so often is great piece of mind.
I had the last one done at Motorcycle Weaponry in Sydney, 02 9979 4744. Steve Cutting is the guy there, he is excellent. last time I was there, he told me that he could do an exchange unit, give him a call.
Oh, and I would replace ALL the bearings, seals etc.
post #8 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-15-2010, 09:38 PM

It's definitely a weak spot on the MV's. Mine collapsed also at 4000km whilst I was riding back home from a 500km ride around the Mt Lindsey loop, there was all these aluminium fillings inside my rear wheel, couldn't believe it was happening after only 4000km, but luckily it was under warranty. What Moto Arena are doing now is servicing the hub every 6000km. But they now have an updated hub available, if you want to head in that direction, good luck.
post #9 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-15-2010, 09:44 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to theknurl
due to the shape of the hub and material available don't try to fit a larger bearing, just buy the 3810-2RS-C3 ball bearing for $34 from CBR

spypyp....gave you the info...

its a very simple operation requiring minimal tools, you won't need the needle bearing or seals, unless the ball bearing is trashed....as long as the needles are shiny they, are ok, the inner race might show a little haze, thats ok

EVERY time you have the bike on the rear stand check for play in the rear wheel.....takes a couple of seconds, might save your ass!

use a torque wrench on the hub pinch bolts and torque it in steps to the low value given in the book

you can't 'service' the ball bearing its sealed....check the play.....if when riding, you get that low rear tire/weird rear end feeling, stop and check the play and tire pressure.....its probably the bearing

Noel-theknurl

Noel-theknurl

The Forum Curmudgeon
I'm not PC either
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R
'05 F4
ph. 310-414-7247 PST, GMT -8
PayPal;
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Skype; theknurl

Last edited by theknurl; 07-15-2010 at 09:50 PM.
post #10 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-16-2010, 05:44 PM

New Site Garage
Prestige Motorcycles hub modification

Do you have any details on this?

Tony

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode