Reliability vs. Jap Bikes - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-09-2006, 02:08 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

Send a message via AIM to SOULRIDER Send a message via Yahoo to SOULRIDER
Reliability vs. Jap Bikes

Hello...

I've grown up on bikes (30 years), and now I have that inch for an MV. Actually the wife saw it, and wants it to be an anniversary gift.

How reliable is the MV? I'm not the poser type that takes his bike to the local hangout and sit and stair. I want a bike that I go out to the garage start and do 300-400 miles in the corners.

I've ridden Japenese bikes all my life, and I've had great luck with them. My bikes are my kids.

Bike reliability is my biggest issue.

Any input would be appreciated. Thanks...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-09-2006, 02:15 PM

As or more reliable than Honda.
There are some issues with parts availablity, but I haven't seen anything worse than problems with any Japanese brand dealer.
Get it, you won't regret it!
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-09-2006, 02:21 PM

I'd say current bikes are 95% as reliable as Japanese bikes. I say that based on experience with two Yamaha R1 (2002 and 2004) and three MVs (2000,2002, and 2006).

I think 2000 has some bugs or just may not have been set up properly by the dealer. No problems with the 2002 (that I didn't cause myself) and none with the 2005.

Service intervals are less thought. I think it's really every 3,800 miles (minor service) and 7,800 (normal service) miles. Honestly, I think the 3.8 service is really an inspection & oil change.
post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-09-2006, 02:37 PM
Smile

Ditto the above comments, I'm on my second MV and I've had loads of Jap stuff over the years, the MV is much more reliable than a Duke IMHO.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Keep one wheel down!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If you can't fix it with a hammer you've got an electrical problem!

No MV's in the garage anymore
but I pop in here from time to time
. Come to think of it I don't have a garage since the old one burnt down!
But...Ö..a new one is currently rising from the ashes......watch this space!
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-09-2006, 03:08 PM

Our original 2000 MV F4 750 has covered about 22,000 miles, still going strong, only problem was a water pump gasket, replaced at 6000 miles, since no problems.

Obviously the usual wear and tear items have been replaced, wheel bearings and the rear shock being the main two items. The clutch is ok though it will be changed soon.

Our other MVs have been fine, though barely run in.

You will not regret it, running costs are more or less the same as a Jap bike.

Good luck.
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-09-2006, 03:38 PM
Formerly WYD OPN

I initially had the same concerns as you, and was VERY wary of the sparse dealer network. I first came to this site on July 28th, and posted a thread similar to this. The responses indicated that MVs are virtually bulletproof, have reasonable parts cost and availability, and have negligible warranty issues.

So... only 6 weeks later, I bought 2! An F4 1000R and Brutale 910R, which both arrived at the dealer last Tuesday. Planned to pick them up today, but it's pouring rain and my new Kendon trailer delivery was delayed until next Thursday. I originally bought a R1/ZX14 combo INSTEAD of an MV, but much as I love them both I HAD to have an MV... er, actually TWO MVs. I ended up buying the 910R ALSO because of owners on this site. You will not find a better quality on-line community of enthusiasts.

Even if they weren't stone reliable, after talking with mv.net members I'd likely have gotten them anyway. One member wisely indicated that MV ownership is about love and passion. Even a few days/weeks of shop downtime would be well worth the overall "relationship". Fortunately, shop time is NOT likely... and the inconvenience of distant dealers simply means extra riding/trailering time at scheduled maintenance intervals.

If you LOVE the MV, buy it. Reliability is not an issue, and I've heard nothing but praise for most dealers and Cagiva when a problem arises. Other technical needs, etc. are regularly addressed on this site by very qualified enthusiasts... Lots of support, here!

Welcome to the site and the MV family! Enjoy the ride!!

post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-09-2006, 04:38 PM

Well said WYD ! Something else to think about is that the MV's will hold their image for many years to come and the R1/ZX14 Jap cookie cutter combo would be out of date and yesterdays news in 6 to 12 months. The Mv has been around for seven years now and still turn heads every were I go. I don't remember the last time I noticed a 1998/99 R1.
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-10-2006, 08:00 PM

My 05 F4 just clicked over 20,000 miles and I've had no problems. Much more reliable than my old 749 duc.

- Matt H.

'05 F4 1000S
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-10-2006, 08:10 PM

I ride the hell out of my 910R it seems to laugh at me and says "is that all you got"

It was built for it....ride it.

John T
Certified Power Commander Tech.
Authorized Tuning Center/Dealer

post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-10-2006, 08:10 PM

Hmm... haven't owned or ridden a Japanese motorcycle in more than 30 years, so I can't do a direct comparison, but my Brutale's been flawless. Many problems with the Ducatis but not a peep out of the MV. Just change oil and tires.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode