How to clean and lubricate your chain - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-07-2010, 11:53 AM Thread Starter
Established Member

How to clean and lubricate your chain

Just wondering, how are you guys maintaining your chain in optimal condition?

I use S100 chain cleaner first, then lubricate the thing with Bell-Ray.

I don't clean and grease my chain like the dumb f*ck in an other thread, all don with the engine off.

Reason I ask is that everytime I grease the chain, the whole rear part of my bike becomes filled with grease.
No, I am not using tons of grease/spray and the chain is always warm before I do it.

Any suggestions?

MV Agusta F4S EVO3
MV Agusta SPR (crashed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
MV Agusta 350 Ipotesi
MV Agusta F4 1000 S (sold)
Suzuki GSX R 1000 (sold)

Last edited by jwslofstra; 07-07-2010 at 01:28 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-07-2010, 01:02 PM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
I use a "Super Clean" "Fling Proof" chain lube....from Bel-Ray. Makes a nice white coat on the chain and doesn't make nearly as much a mess as other lubes I have used...although "fling proof" is a bit of a stretch of the truth.

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue)
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-07-2010, 02:12 PM

I use motul chain cleaner, tooth brush and a rag to clean, and motul factory line lube.

Joe - mv2envy
AKA. MV Guy 12345

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-07-2010, 02:28 PM

I have started using an oil sold for chains on chainsaws. Advertised as "non fling" and I have found it to be very clean in use. Costs a hell of a lot less as well. Applied with a large syringe, one drop on each link does the job. If it stays on it must be doing itīs job.
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-07-2010, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldnfast View Post
I have started using an oil sold for chains on chainsaws. Advertised as "non fling" and I have found it to be very clean in use. Costs a hell of a lot less as well. Applied with a large syringe, one drop on each link does the job. If it stays on it must be doing itīs job.
Yes but is that oil o ring safe? I havent seen chainsaws use a o ring chain.

Joe - mv2envy
AKA. MV Guy 12345

post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-07-2010, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esq'z me View Post
I use a "Super Clean" "Fling Proof" chain lube....from Bel-Ray. Makes a nice white coat on the chain and doesn't make nearly as much a mess as other lubes I have used...although "fling proof" is a bit of a stretch of the truth.
+1 - I like the super clean stuff - you can tell it's on there and it doesn't make a mess.

I use wd-40 or motul chain cleaner to clean the chain. The wd-40 works better and is a lot cheaper.

------------------------------
The journey is the reward
Brutale 1090, Tiger 1050, Bonneville SE

post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-07-2010, 02:40 PM

WD40 is a bad choice for chain cleaner, it will mess up your o ring. Here, read this http://www.webbikeworld.com/r3/motor...chain-cleaner/ If you want a cheap cleaner, go out and buy a gallon of kerosene and put it in a spray bottle.

Joe - mv2envy
AKA. MV Guy 12345

post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-07-2010, 03:15 PM
Established Member

http://www.kneedraggers.com/details/...t--614555.html

grunge brush with either Motorex strong chain cleaner or Motul chain cleaner, which ever is on sale. All done on the rear stand, spray the lube at the bottom of the chain in front of the rear tire. I find the master link and stop spraying when i see it go around the same point twice. works for me.
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-07-2010, 03:23 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

Just wondering, do these options also keep your rearwheel and the rest of the bike clean.

The bell-ray that I use is also non fling, but for some reason the largest part of my wheel is black after riding

MV Agusta F4S EVO3
MV Agusta SPR (crashed
)
MV Agusta 350 Ipotesi
MV Agusta F4 1000 S (sold)
Suzuki GSX R 1000 (sold)
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-07-2010, 03:27 PM

I have found that Motul Factory line is the most resistant to flying off. It dries to a hard paste almost.

Joe - mv2envy
AKA. MV Guy 12345

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode