mv2envy's F4 upgrade project Done!!! Pics Inside - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 192 (permalink) Old 07-01-2010, 10:47 PM Thread Starter

mv2envy's F4 upgrade project Done!!! Pics Inside

See post #98 for final photos.

Dont mean to copy R1Andrew or anything, but I figured I would let the F4 crew in on the upgrades Im going to be doing to my 05 F4 over the next couple of weeks.

Here are the mods the bike has now
RG3 Exhaust, blue powder coated tips w/RG3 EEPROM
Arrow mid pipe (no cat)
Brembo 19X18 brake master and 16X18 clutch master w/ blue Pazzo shorty levers
PCIII USB
Acumen Digi gear indicator
Clear alternatives tail light
8000K HID headlight
2 tone painted front fender blue/silver
3 tone painted rear hugger/chain guard combo blue/silver/carbon

Mods to be done over the next 4 weeks
Swap forks for 2007 F4 radial forks DONE
Brembo ultra light wheels, gloss silver powder coat. DONE
Brembo Monoblock calipers DONE
New brake lines DONE
320mm rotors off of a 2007 F4 DONE
Michelin Power Pure tires DONE
STM 30mm clutch slave DONE
TSS or STM slipper clutch On Hold
New clutch plates, OEM On Hold
Blue LED dash light kit DONE
DynoJet Quick Shifter DONE
Ferracci rearsets custom anodized blue (pic below) DONE
Stainless TPO bolt kit to replace rusted OEM bolts DONE
12 cell A123 Systems battery pack DONE
DNA air filter DONE
Slash cut tips for RG3 exhaust (Blue anodized) DONE
Ceramic coat entire exhaust system DONE

Parts that have arrived
Everything

The bike is at the dealer right now getting new piston rings, valve guide seals, cam chain tensioner, Muzzys fan blades and Iridium plugs. They will also be doing a oil change and swapping out the coolant for distilled water + Water Wetter.

So Ive got a huge project ahead of me. All parts except for the slipper clutch and new clutch plates have been ordered and are slowly but surely starting to show up. Sould be done in about 4 weeks (I hope sooner!) Ill try to update this thread as I progress (for those who care )

Here is how she kinda looks now, this is a old pic, some modes listed above are not shown here.

Anodized Ferracci rearsets

Joe - mv2envy
AKA. MV Guy 12345
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by mv2envy; 08-01-2010 at 09:14 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 192 (permalink) Old 07-01-2010, 11:00 PM

Ha ha - rather obvious that you would change the engine oil with new rings!!

How many miles has the bike done??

and why the new rings etc???

Goodluck with the mods - with the money you are spending you might be able to buy another F4???

Just a thought!

MV Agusta 1000S 1+1 (2004); Suzuki GSXR 600 (2005); Honda CB750; Honda CB175; BSA 350 (1939) ;

Last edited by gazman; 07-01-2010 at 11:03 PM.
post #3 of 192 (permalink) Old 07-01-2010, 11:08 PM Thread Starter

LOL, now that I think about it, mentioning the oil part was a bit redundant.

She has almost 18K miles and was burning oil (grey smoke out of exhaust) so the dealer tore her up and couldn't figure out whether it was the piston rings or the valve guide seals, so they are changing both just to be sure. Sucks that I have to break her in again, but I'm happy because its only costing me the price of new oil, filter and plugs to do all of the above. Western Service (extended 3rd party warranty) is covering the rest.

And I'm not spending as much money as one would think, lets just say I got some crazy deals on all that stuff. Plus I can sell most of the original stuff I take out to recoup some money.

Joe - mv2envy
AKA. MV Guy 12345

post #4 of 192 (permalink) Old 07-01-2010, 11:20 PM

My 04 F4 must've done about 40 000k's by now .......only problems been the rear hub and I caught it before it really got bad! Done nearly 11000k on the new one - no issues!

Just strange how one bike will need new engine parts after so short a distance, if you heard that happeing to a motor car it would put you off the brand for life!

MV Agusta 1000S 1+1 (2004); Suzuki GSXR 600 (2005); Honda CB750; Honda CB175; BSA 350 (1939) ;
post #5 of 192 (permalink) Old 07-01-2010, 11:32 PM Thread Starter

I had not been riding the bike for some time (about 2 years) but had been starting it every month or so to keep the engine working. Then one day it just started smoking out of the exhaust for no reason. It still ran like a champ, but the smoke would not go away.

Joe - mv2envy
AKA. MV Guy 12345

Last edited by mv2envy; 07-01-2010 at 11:35 PM. Reason: typo
post #6 of 192 (permalink) Old 07-01-2010, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazman View Post
My 04 F4 must've done about 40 000k's by now .......only problems been the rear hub and I caught it before it really got bad! Done nearly 11000k on the new one - no issues!

Just strange how one bike will need new engine parts after so short a distance, if you heard that happeing to a motor car it would put you off the brand for life!
Not strange at all....depends on the how hard the bike is ridden.
Mine let go after 12k.

VELOCEMOTO HD The Art of Italian Sportbikes on film.
post #7 of 192 (permalink) Old 07-02-2010, 12:59 AM Thread Starter

I don't use my bike for anything other than hitting the canyons on 2nd and 3rd gear, and taking my wife out, which consists of riding through the canyons to Malibu to have lunch/dinner and taking the canyons back. My tires wear more from the sides than the center.

Joe - mv2envy
AKA. MV Guy 12345

post #8 of 192 (permalink) Old 07-02-2010, 02:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mv2envy View Post
I had not been riding the bike for some time (about 2 years) but had been starting it every month or so to keep the engine working. Then one day it just started smoking out of the exhaust for no reason. It still ran like a champ, but the smoke would not go away.
Starting the bike up won't actually do much. The damage to the engine is the buildup of condensation of the oil which needs to be burned off. That means taking the bike for a decent ride and doing so frequently, unless you want to idle for a long time.

I ride my Ducati to work on Fridays to keep everything moving. Then i'll blast it out once a month or so with a group ride.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocemoto View Post
Not strange at all....depends on the how hard the bike is ridden.
Mine let go after 12k.
Fair enough for track riding but on the road i doubt 95% of riders would be able to push it hard enough. If it fails just from putting around on the streets then it's either poorly maintained, hardly ever ridden or just an unlucky build quality.

I had a guy call me last night about my CBR for sale and he commented on the 'high kms' and the bike being on it's last legs. He had owned an R6 and the gearbox let go (dropping 2nd) and engine needing a rebuild at 25,000kms etc etc.

I told him he had no idea. My CBR is a commuter which putts around and is never ridden hard. It's got 37,000km and runs like a dream. It'll do 150,000km no sweat if someone rides and maintains it like i do my bikes. I told him if his bike dropped it's gearbox and engine it's because someone tracked it and enjoyed clutchless shifting.

But alas, he didn't care what i had to say and was convinced bikes only last 30,000km or so before blowing up.

No matter the brand, speak to anyone who does a lot of frequent riding and they will say their bike runs like a dream. Meanwhile the guys who are doing 2,000km/yr are the ones having mechanical issues.
post #9 of 192 (permalink) Old 07-02-2010, 02:35 AM Thread Starter

I would let the fans cycle on and off 2 times before shutting her down. And my bike is very well maintained. I spare no expense to keep her healthy.

Even the tech at the dealer couldn't figure out why it was burning oil, he said the rings and valve seals looked good. The entire engine looked good. Thats why they are changing both to not take a chance and pick the wrong one. Ill chop this up to just being a fluke.

Anyway, this bikes vacation is very much over. After I get her back and do my mad scientist bit to her, I'm going to make up for the last couple of years of neglect.

Joe - mv2envy
AKA. MV Guy 12345

post #10 of 192 (permalink) Old 07-02-2010, 03:42 AM

I still say taking it for a ride would be better than idling.

BTW I wasnt having a go at you, just my input about low km bikes blowing up.

We are lucky that MV owners care for their bikes. Buying a 96 gsxr600...... Russian roulette anyone? Lol

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode