F4 leaking fuel - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-01-2010, 02:50 AM Thread Starter
Established Member

F4 leaking fuel

My 2000 MV developed a fuel leak under the tank. No problem I thought, it will be the connectors or fuel line. removed the tank to find a small hole in the bottom of the tank. Cant believe it!!
Anyone got a 2nd hand tank for sale, preferably red?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-01-2010, 02:52 AM

That seems a bit strange....and very unlucky
PM CAG he'll definitely have what you're looking for, and most likely in red as well.

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-01-2010, 05:08 AM

You could get it welded, a lot cheaper than replacing. Plus its underneath, so it wont be visible. But be sure there is NO fuel in the tank. Any muffler shop can weld it.

Joe - mv2envy
AKA. MV Guy 12345
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-01-2010, 02:01 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to theknurl
Wink

like Joe said....get it welded, Tig the preferred method....wrecks less paint

Noel-theknurl

Noel-theknurl

The Forum Curmudgeon
I'm not PC either

'08 910R
'05 F4
ph. 310-414-7247 PST, GMT -8
PayPal;

Skype; theknurl
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-01-2010, 10:52 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

Thanks for the advise. Took the tank to a radiator place, they will weld it. They will also line the inside of the tank with a product called Red-Kote, which will seal any pin holes that may be forming. The lining will also prevent the tank from rusting inside. I was amazed at how much rust was present in the tank, promptly bought a new fuel filter.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-01-2010, 11:01 PM
JDS
King of Bling

Send a message via MSN to JDS
Wow.. I've never seen that before..

If its on the underside, you could get away with sealing it with Chemical Metal Weld ( glue that isn't effected by fuel and can be used on tanks to stop leaks).. This would prevent you from having to repaint the tank ..

I have 2 brand new Red F4 fuel tanks in my spares stock, but shipping wouldn't be cheap to where your located..

Try the Chemical Metal Weld first as that is only going to cost you about 6 for a tube, and if that doesn't work, then try normal welding as already suggested..

Good luck Dude.

EMAIL :
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-02-2010, 12:10 AM

The tanks are made up of a number of parts and they RUST along the welded seams coz there is always moisture in the tank from the petrol storage tanks in the servo's, condensation etc.

Not good for an expensive machine - it would pay everyone to look inside their tank to see if the rust process has started.

My 04 had signs of it when I replaced the fuel pump (due to water getting in!!!)

MV Agusta 1000S 1+1 (2004); Suzuki GSXR 600 (2005); Honda CB750; Honda CB175; BSA 350 (1939) ;

Last edited by gazman; 07-02-2010 at 12:16 AM.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-02-2010, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazman View Post
The tanks are made up of a number of parts and they RUST along the welded seams coz there is always moisture in the tank from the petrol storage tanks in the servo's, condensation etc.

Not good for an expensive machine - it would pay everyone to look inside their tank to see if the rust process has started.

My 04 had signs of it when I replace the fuel pump (due to water getting in!!!)
+1 and Ethanol only makes things worse!

Joe - mv2envy
AKA. MV Guy 12345

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode