Anyone know where to find 8" diameter heat shrink tubing? - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-01-2010, 12:56 AM Thread Starter

Anyone know where to find 8" diameter heat shrink tubing?

Im about to build a 12cell A123 battery pack for my F4 and Im having a hard time finding 8" diameter heat shrink tubing to seal the pack once done. Anyone know where to get some?

Joe - mv2envy
AKA. MV Guy 12345
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-01-2010, 11:32 AM

Let me see if I can find the link. FWIW an 8 cell pack seems more than adequate. My "test" pack is sealed with duct tape since the 150mm Heat shrimk I bought was too small.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-01-2010, 12:10 PM

digikey.com

------------------------------
The journey is the reward
Brutale 1090, Tiger 1050, Bonneville SE

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-01-2010, 12:31 PM Thread Starter

Jeff, thanks, but I dont see any 8" diameter size on their site.

Rob, I know 8 cell is enough, but I want the extra juice since I have a HID installed. And I never want to use a battery tender again

Joe - mv2envy
AKA. MV Guy 12345

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-01-2010, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mv2envy View Post
Jeff, thanks, but I dont see any 8" diameter size on their site.

Rob, I know 8 cell is enough, but I want the extra juice since I have a HID installed. And I never want to use a battery tender again
You won't a123's hold their static charge indefinitely...

BTW, you will only use the battery to start the bike, once running the lights get their juice from the alternator
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-01-2010, 12:46 PM Thread Starter

I wouldnt say indedinitely, but lets just say if I dont ride it for 2-3 months, it wont need a battery tender hooked up or jumpstart like it does now. Plus its lighter, and its not laying on its side, so there is no risk of acid leaking all over my bike.

Joe - mv2envy
AKA. MV Guy 12345

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-01-2010, 04:30 PM
Established Member

8" diameter is big, some of our high voltage cables are even bigger and we still use heat shrink tube. However at that size, the stuff we use is very thick, seriously expensive and the tube is impregnated with a glue (which melts and seals the joint as you heat it) so I've never considered using it.

However your friendly industrail electricity installer might be able to help you.

Andrew..
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-01-2010, 05:16 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the input. The diameter of a 12 cell pack comes to 7" if I keep the tabs thin. I found some 7" diamter heat shrink tubing, maybe I can make it fit by stretching the tuning a tad. Ill report back when I figure it out.

Joe - mv2envy
AKA. MV Guy 12345

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-02-2010, 12:31 AM
Established Member

try fry's electronics. BTW my A123 rocks and it is 12 cell

F4 1000R 312
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-02-2010, 12:51 AM Thread Starter

What heatshrink did they use on yours? And Ive seen their slection of heat shrink, frys has nothing close to 8"

Joe - mv2envy
AKA. MV Guy 12345

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode