Whilst the tanks off......... - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-28-2010, 03:20 PM Thread Starter

Whilst the tanks off.........

People,

As reported in an earlier thread I have currently removed my tank to sort a problem with the fuel pump which was causing a fuse to blow. It actuually turned out that the low fuel sensor had failed internally (there is a PCB in it) causing a short.

Anyway, as I have the tank off I am considering changing:-

1. The air filter - I have purchased one off JDS, jolly decent chappy.
2. The spark plugs.

Can people provide some guidance as to what is required to remove these items and parts I may need. For example do I need to remove the air intakes and do I need to remove (and therefore replace) the 'well nuts' that can fall inside the engine. Do I need any gaskets for the plugs etc???

My bike has done around 6000 dry miles over a 10 year period. To my knowledge the spark plugs have never been changed nor has the air filter.

I am in two minds regarding the spark plugs because my local dealer suggested I should change them, whereas my father (who is an experienced mechanic) said "well it's not misfiring son, it doesnt fail emmissions tests, so if it ain't boke, dont fix it"

help as always would be appreciated

Sub

When my Dad and I first laid our eyes on an MV Agusta at the UK launch, we were simply blown away.................
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-28-2010, 07:56 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to theknurl
Wink

Submariner;

leave the plugs alone, they are a high markup item

given what you have for weather...the filter shouldn't be dirty, show it to your father....he will tell you if it needs changing

well nuts are a service part.....to be changed each time...

fuel filter 12k/yearly.....especially if you have to use fuel with ethanol in it..

PM me an address!

Noel-theknurl

Noel-theknurl

The Forum Curmudgeon
I'm not PC either
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R
'05 F4
ph. 310-414-7247 PST, GMT -8
PayPal;
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Skype; theknurl

Last edited by theknurl; 06-28-2010 at 09:34 PM.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-28-2010, 08:19 PM

I on the other hand would change the plugs to iridium plugs if I were you (part number is NGK CR9EIX). 6K miles is my limit for changing out plugs. They are cheap and easy to change so why not...

And since you already ordered the air filter, change that too.

Joe - mv2envy
AKA. MV Guy 12345

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-28-2010, 08:29 PM
CAG

Send a message via Skype™ to CAG
Being old myself, I naturally agree with your father.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-28-2010, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
my father (who is an experienced mechanic) said "well it's not misfiring son, it doesnt fail emmissions tests, so if it ain't boke, dont fix it"

Sub
You father is right. Unless the service manual says you need some new ones at that mileage.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-28-2010, 09:18 PM

I'd say change the plugs....

my 750 has only 6K miles too and my old plugs were so bad that my MV wouldn't start...and I could not figure it out for the longest time what was causing it.

http://mvagusta.net/forum/showthread.php?t=30358

~Serge~
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-28-2010, 09:23 PM

I've never understood the mentality "if it aint broke, don't fix it" We are talking about bikes here. plugs are one of the cheapest things to replace, why would anyone want to wait for it to fail (and possibly leave you stranded somewhere) to replace them? The bike has 6K miles, I would say he has gotten his moneys worth out of the old plugs.

Replace them now, who knows when you will have your tank off again. Order up some NGK CR9EIX plugs and dont look back. http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NGK-IRIDIUM-PL...item2ea41063e5

Joe - mv2envy
AKA. MV Guy 12345

post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-28-2010, 09:29 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to theknurl
Talking

better look into the plug change intervals on cars.....some are astronomical numbers....50-100K and they are using the same plugs....

i'm with CAG lol....thanks buddy....you too squibby!

Joe, i don't agree

Noel-theknurl

Noel-theknurl

The Forum Curmudgeon
I'm not PC either

'08 910R
'05 F4
ph. 310-414-7247 PST, GMT -8
PayPal;

Skype; theknurl
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-29-2010, 06:31 AM Thread Starter

Ok guys, I am probably going to listen to my dad (dads generally seem to know best - no disrespect gents!). If I was to change the plugs and I already had the tank and air box compartment off, what also would I have to remove? fron fairing, air intakes etc??

When my Dad and I first laid our eyes on an MV Agusta at the UK launch, we were simply blown away.................
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-29-2010, 07:33 AM

if you want a little better performance change to a BMC filter. The bike will breathe a little better

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode