F4 750 Buying Advice - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-07-2006, 08:53 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to Solonist
F4 750 Buying Advice

Hi Guys, I'm new to the appreciation of MV's. I've looked at various bikes with a view to buy, just wondered what your advice would be?

I have seen various 2000 model F4's around the £6,000 ($11,000) mark. They seem to all have around 7-10k on the clock.
An absolutely stunning 2001 model Oro replica for £6,500.
I have also seen an Evo 2 model 1+1 registed in 2003 for around £8,000.

I know relative prices will be based on condition and history but is an '03 model Evo 2 worth the extra cash over a 2000 model.
I'm guessing the Evo 2 will have an improved engine (from reading some of your posts)
Sorry to be asking such basic questions. Some of you could probably take an MV apart and put it back together blindfolded!
I really like the look of the 2001 Oro replica I've seen but I'm thinking the 2003 Evo 2 1+1 would be a better option.
Let me know if you have any advice.

Best Wishes
Rob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-08-2006, 08:10 AM

mvfaq.blogspot.com

that will give you a breakdown of the differences between the models. if your heart is being pulled to the oro rep, then go for it. however, the either of the evo models will out perform it. just remember, you can make ANY bike a "replica" with a good painter.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-08-2006, 07:31 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the link, hopefully with time I can learn more. I'll let you know if I take the plunge and buy one.
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-10-2006, 07:50 AM

There seems to be a lot of early F4-750s sitting unsold in showrooms this year. My local dealer's had two all summer with about 9-10k miles on them around the £7k-£7.5k mark. In contrast, I think EvoII/IIIs get snapped up pretty quick. The reputation of early F4s suffers considerably compaired to that of later ones, perhaps unfairly so. They're still great to ride, and you'll never consider them slow unless you ride a modern GSXR-750 back-to-back (but then what wouldn't??)

With that in mind, it might be worth seeing how far they're prepared to haggle. Most places are discounting new 1000s at the moment, (DK = £10k, OYB = £11.7k for instance.) I think that's hitting the 750 resale values pretty hard. Also, consider a new hot-poop 600 is about the same price, make the same power, come with 2-year warranties, and are filled with state-of-the-art tech. Asking the same money for a 6 year old bike, with a ten year old design, with a dubious reliability and spares availability/pricing reputation, it's a wonder anyone buys them at all...

... But I did. I bought my 2000 model earlier this year for just under £7k, but it was immaculate, with only 1159 miles on it. However, it suffers somewhat from being the early model, and I wouldn't say my ownership thus far has been trouble-free. There's a lot to be said for not buying the A-model of anything, (possibly when it's Italian greater so..)

If I were to do it again, I'd have taken my £7k and part-ex'd my 748 for a 1000s with DK. It may still be a 10 year old design, but there's a lot to be said for perfecting something over a decade than reinventing it every two years.

Si
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-10-2006, 12:18 PM Thread Starter

It's very tempting with 1000's going for 10k from DK. I noticed them advertising through eBay as well as through their own website. I just wonder how well the 10k investment will hold up, with MV production set to increase. But like you mentioned, with 6 year old 750's making 5.5-6k then the 1000's should retain a similar percentage in a few years time.
I'm going to see a 2001 model in a couple of weeks time. It's had a few aftermarket add ons, power commander, uprated brakes etc. Hopefully it'll be amazing in the flesh....
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-10-2006, 01:14 PM
Smile

If you go for the 750, I would plump for an Evo II or Evo III, basically the same bikes but with 137 hp compared to the original 750's 126. If your budget allows and you can find one, a SR or SPR is even better, but you are running towards thousand money and as you say, D&K are curently churning out new thous for £10k. Bargain of the century IMO. I paid more than £12k for mine!

I work in York at the mo Rob, PM me and I'll call round on my bike sometime and you can have a look around it

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Keep one wheel down!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If you can't fix it with a hammer you've got an electrical problem!

No MV's in the garage anymore
but I pop in here from time to time
. Come to think of it I don't have a garage since the old one burnt down!
But...Ö..a new one is currently rising from the ashes......watch this space!

Last edited by john; 09-11-2006 at 12:01 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode