F4S1000 engine issue/question - intermittent sputtering - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-21-2010, 08:54 AM Thread Starter

Question F4S1000 engine issue/question - intermittent sputtering

Hi all, seeking your expertise (again)...

5 weeks ago I rode from NYC to Harrisburg, PA - and back - no issues at all bike ran great.

Then the bike sat for 5 weeks in garage with 1/3rd tank gas, not run/started, until yesterday. I went out for a short ride. About 15 minutes into the ride, whilst in town at about 40mph, engine temp 205ish (normal for my bike; also it was about 90 degrees out), the motor started "sputtering" with power reduced to almost 0. This occurred for a few blocks, then the sputtering ceased and the motor ran fine. Then it started again, and stopped again. Did this a few times as I quickly headed back to base. At no point did the engine quit although at stop lights it sounded as if it might (during the sputtering events).

The sputtering reminded me of when I was a kid and we rode 80cc two-stroke dirt bikes, occassionally the lone spark plug would become "fouled" with a bit of grit or sand. Remove plug, clean, replace, issue solved. The symptom yesterday had the exact same feel and sound to it - as if one cylinder was kicking in and out or misfiring (?).

As I headed back I decided to fill up with gas since the tank had been sitting for a while at 1/3 full. I wondered if water had condensed into the tank over the last 5 weeks. I topped off with 3 gallons fresh gas, and the sputtering did not appear to return during another 15 mile ride to test it out. Although it idled a bit rough.

Do any of you have and experience with such a symptom, or have possible ideas? Bad gas? Bad plug? ECU? other?

I'd appreciate any possible thoughts/diagnoses you might have as most of you are far more mechanically inclined than I am. Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-21-2010, 08:55 AM

Did the bike sound like it was running on 2 cylinders?

Replace your EBS Relay. $110

2005 MV F4-1000S
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-21-2010, 09:08 AM

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-21-2010, 09:21 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo329 View Post
Did the bike sound like it was running on 2 cylinders?

Replace your EBS Relay. $110
Thanks Turbo. It quite possibly could have been running on 2, although to be honest Im not sure what that sounds like. Power was definitely reduced to almost 0 (acceleration, etc.) and it did indeed sound like there was a cylinder or more that weren't firing.

Can you provide more information about the EBS relay, dare I say I'm not familiar with that part or what it does (I kmow, I'm embarassing myself here).

EDIT: wait I found this thread http://mvagusta.net/forum/showthread.php?t=9112 and that guys symptoms appear to be exactly what I experienced. Still reading...

Last edited by Obmot; 06-21-2010 at 09:23 AM.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-21-2010, 09:27 AM
hes

Do a search here on "EBS" (Engine Breaking System). I had to replace mine 3 times under warranty on my 2006 F4S. It kept blowing up each time.

If I am not mistaken, last time they relocated the EBS relay to a place more ventilated and never had problems ever since.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-21-2010, 09:36 AM Thread Starter

thanks hes, I am sure learning a lot today; based on threads I am reading and other owners' symptoms, it seems the EBS relay may be the culprit; the sputtering kicked in during decels only (which I didnt think about until I read some of this EBS info), and occurred whilst the bike was pretty hot.

Now I have to determine exactly where it is and what it looks like, and if I can change it myself. Seems like maybe I can although living in NYC my tool selection collection, one might say, "sparse."
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-21-2010, 11:07 AM

If you take out the left side fairing, its right being the radiator. Search the forum or look through the workshop manual and you will find instructions on how to test it.

manua can be downloaded from www.agusta.us

Joe - mv2envy
AKA. MV Guy 12345
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by mv2envy; 06-21-2010 at 11:36 AM.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-21-2010, 11:24 AM Thread Starter

thanks mv2envy!
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-21-2010, 11:36 AM

Sure thing!

Joe - mv2envy
AKA. MV Guy 12345

post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-21-2010, 11:53 AM Thread Starter

Alright I've ordered a new EBS relay ($114) and have found its location in the manual provided by mv2envy - in the manual it appears to be called alternatively the "EBS control unit" and the "EBS valve relay."

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode