F4 problems - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-21-2010, 03:58 AM Thread Starter
Established Member

F4 problems

So here is the story...

I got a RG3 and open midpipe installed with a Rapid bike, so the bike would be set perfectly in therms of fuel consumption etc.

Yesterday I made a ride with some friends, they told me that if I open the throttle, start accelerating and close the throttle is starts smoking from the exhaust for like 5 seconds.
When the bike is idling at random intervals I hear some kind of knocking noise coming from the engine or nearby the engine.
Sometimes the engine just stops without any reason at all, doesn't matter if the engine is warm or cold, but mostly when the engine is warm.

Any idea's what could be wrong?

MV Agusta F4S EVO3
MV Agusta SPR (crashed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
MV Agusta 350 Ipotesi
MV Agusta F4 1000 S (sold)
Suzuki GSX R 1000 (sold)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-21-2010, 04:12 AM
Established Member

Dont worry about the knocking, it has probably always done it but you have only noticed due to looking for a problem. My bike sounds like a bag of spanners at all times but runs superb.

The smoke from the exhaust & stalling sounds like the fuelling needs setting up properly. If it runs okay off the throttle & through the gears then you most certainly have no mechanical issues.

Taking the cat out of any system makes a big difference to any bikes fuelling but MV"S seem to be affected worse than others due to the standard fuelling been so bad!
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-21-2010, 04:54 AM
Established Member

Upgrading the exhaust has no effect on the mechanical elements, if there is an engine internal mechanical knocking now there was one before. However the revised exhaust may have intorduced a rattle or a component may now have a sympathetic rattle.

What is a "Rapid bike"?

The exhaust modifications you've made will improve the flow from the engine, resulting in lean running (if nothing else is done). I'm assuming a Rapid bike is some kind of ECU modification (or power commander) that richens the mix to appropriately tune the engine.

Smoke for the exhaust isn't really an issue, however under hard acceleration expect some black smoke. Snapping the throttle shut will sometimes result in unburnt fuel being released (usually with some accompanying noise) but may also result in a black or brown haze from the exhaust. If the smoke is blue then your engine may be worn.

From your description, the bike needs more tuning (with respect to the fueling) the bike should still idle cleanly and not stall when closing the throttle.

Andrew...
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-21-2010, 04:59 AM

Try a RG3 eeprom chip. That might take care of he fueling problem.

Joe - mv2envy
AKA. MV Guy 12345
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-21-2010, 06:36 AM Thread Starter
Established Member

There is a RG3 Eprom inside but the problem with that was that the engine was using a lot of fuel (about 1 liter per 8 kilometer).
It was tuned by a MV dealer, but he said he couldn't get the bike to run leaner with this chip.
Rapid bike is about the same thing as a power commander, hope that clears things.
The rapid bike has been installed and set on a dyno test run.

Strange thing about the knocking is that I never heard it before, only yesterday, and the whole exhaust mod is already about 2 weeks on the bike.

MV Agusta F4S EVO3
MV Agusta SPR (crashed
)
MV Agusta 350 Ipotesi
Suzuki GSX R 1000 (sold)
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-21-2010, 07:02 AM

New Site Garage
Fueling problem

That sounds like your fueling is way off, as well as a few other things. Your bike should not sound like a bucket of bolts, if the pipe is not loose or hitting something then it can be caused by the bad fueling. A bit like knocking in the motor when using wrong fuel on the old carbie bikes.

Dons Nel
Own - Two F4 1000R's 06 and 07.
PayPal :

eMial:

Mobile in Australia: 0438 385 776
Website with MV Manuals for Most models -
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-21-2010, 07:25 AM Thread Starter
Established Member

Nope, the pipe is not loose, can't find any weak spots at all.
I am not missing any power while accelerating, some in my eyes that means that there is nothing mechanically wrong.
Also thought that maybe one of the sparkplugs is damaged or something, but then again I should be missing power somewhere.

I'll try to contact the dealer again asap.

Anybody who things there is a mechanical failure, please speak your mind, would appreciate it

MV Agusta F4S EVO3
MV Agusta SPR (crashed
)
MV Agusta 350 Ipotesi
Suzuki GSX R 1000 (sold)
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-21-2010, 02:01 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to The_castle
Go to a dynamometer operator who is experienced in the Rapid Bike system. Explain the situation. Have them tune the bike.

If you want the best ECU and after sales back up that I'm aware of then contact Chris at X-Bikes. He is a forum sponsor and will no doubt direct you towards the Microtec ECU. Even just a call to get his advice on your current system will most likely be well worth it.
Dave.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode