Bike died and then wont start! - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-20-2010, 03:50 PM Thread Starter

Bike died and then wont start!

People,

Went out for a nice ride today on my F4 2000 model, covered around 150 miles.

On the way home I hit a slight bump in the road (which may or may not have any bearing on the following), but the bike then died leaving lights on on the dash.

Limped over to the kerb in misbelief. Tried to start the bike, starter working nicely with plenty of go but the bike didnt even want to think about starting. Took off RHS fairing and examined the fuse box and noted that the 15A fuse in the fuel pump position was blown.

Replaced the fuse with a 10A that I had spare and upon turning on the ignition this then blew. Called out the recovery service who said "mmmmmmmm", they put in a 30A fuse which started the bike for a second or two and then also blew.

He had a look in the area below the base of the tank and said that the plug between the loom and the base of the tank area looked wet and that the rubber on the plug looked perished. I assume this plug (4 wires) feeds the fuel pump. With the tank still on the bike he disconnected the plug, smelt the fuse end of the plug and said it did sort of smell damp. I was a bit confused by this because my bike very rarely gets wet.

Anyway, he inspected and blew out the fuse end of the plug (as the pump end was too short to reach) and then asked me to try to start the bike with the plug disconnected. With a 15A fuse fitted in the fuel pump holder the fuse does not blow.

I have plenty of fuel and a nicely charged battery.

Any Ideas guys????

Thanks

Sub

When my Dad and I first laid our eyes on an MV Agusta at the UK launch, we were simply blown away.................
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-20-2010, 04:15 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to theknurl
unplug the tank plug with the correct fuse in and try to start.....NO it won't start....but you've isolated it to the pump/tank wiring

check terminals #1&2, they are the power to the fuel pump

I would remove the pump from the tank and closely inspect the wiring, check the wires for continuity to the pump housing too

its either the wires shorted to ground or the pump died internally and shorted out

good luck

Noel-theknurl

Noel-theknurl

The Forum Curmudgeon
I'm not PC either
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R
'05 F4
ph. 310-414-7247 PST, GMT -8
PayPal;
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Skype; theknurl
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-20-2010, 05:29 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Noel. I am hoping it is a short to earth but just our of interest what are the other two wires for in the plug and is there a chance that a short to earth could have occured 'upstream' ie not the tank end of the two other wires

When my Dad and I first laid our eyes on an MV Agusta at the UK launch, we were simply blown away.................
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-20-2010, 06:10 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to theknurl
they are for the low fuel light....and there'd have to be a dead short at the fuel pump plate to blow a 30 amp fuse....

yes, thats why i wanted you to unplug the fuel tank and then turn the key on and try to start it....it won't start, but if nothing blows
it has to be in the tank!

there have been reports of wires shorting behind the fuse block on the right side because of wear....check there too

Noel-theknurl

Noel-theknurl

The Forum Curmudgeon
I'm not PC either

'08 910R
'05 F4
ph. 310-414-7247 PST, GMT -8
PayPal;

Skype; theknurl

Last edited by theknurl; 06-20-2010 at 06:13 PM.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-21-2010, 08:28 AM Thread Starter

Just out of interest guys, I have justspoke to a number of MV dealers who have advised that a failed fuel pump does not generally blow the fuse.

Clearly a large current is being drawn by the fuel pump. The bike does sit around alot unused and I have heard reports of rust in the tank.

What are peoples thoughts on a blocked fuel filter?

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-21-2010, 02:12 PM Thread Starter

OK guys, managed to lift the tank and measured the out of circuit resistance between the pump feed at the pump connector and the return at the pump connector (ie measuring the internal resistance of the pump) the reading was 0.1 ohms. When measuring the resistance of either to the chassis I got an open circuit reading.

Surely this is either an interal pump failure or a conductor to conductor short

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-21-2010, 07:46 PM

No way i would have let them put in a 30amp fuse in a 15amp circuit and try it, could have nuked your wiring.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode